Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. What particular autocephalous or autonomous church within the Eastern Orthodox Church are you under?
2. Are you pro- or anti- ecumenical recognition of the autocephalous nature of the Orthodox Church in America?
3. What is your favorite icon?
4. If there were an Eighth Ecumenical Council, what decisions would you hope to be declared?
5. What books besides those of ++Kallistos Ware would you suggest for people interesting in learning more about Eastern Christianity and/or the Eastern Orthodox Church?
6. Silly question (but wholly honest): do you know of a good supplier of beeswax candles?

Upvote 0

JoyforJESUS

Jesus Others Yourself
Nov 28, 2006
Cumberland Maryland
✟42,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I need some help if possible

I mis-sent blessings to 29th May 2009 Donation
Given abideinhim thanks for stopping at the sit and chat 12,800who hasn't been active for a while.

they were supposed to be sent to abidenhim. I have taken care of that but since the above is not active is there anyway to correct my mistake?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoopy500

Revelation 21:6- I am Alpha and Omega
May 14, 2015
Toronto
✟79,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
oh boy...i completely forgot about this. i'll update later on this evening. i'll probably stop by every day or so.

Good job tonks,you woke up and got the coffee machine going:thumbsup: :p

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have a question.

If the Nicene-Constantinople Creed is used as the basis for what defines a "Christian" on this board, why are the LDS and the Freemasons (ala the Shriners) allowed to advertise on this board, when their beliefs are heretical to Christianity? Furthermore, both the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church (the two largest Christian communions in the world) will ex-communicate any member who is a Freemason.

So what's the deal? Why are we allowing heretics to advertise non-Christian values on a "Christian" site?

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. What particular autocephalous or autonomous church within the Eastern Orthodox Church are you under?

I'm ROCOR. I converted overseas (Iraq) in the military system by an OCA priest...whcih is listed on my official "records." Luckily there has been rapproachment between the two...I live in DC where there are options for pretty much every jurisdictional squabble you desire. Russian/Slav was easier, culturally, than Greek (for me) anyway. The priest that filled in after *my* priest left was GOARCH so my upbringing, as it were, is a bit different than many Orthodox.

2. Are you pro- or anti- ecumenical recognition of the autocephalous nature of the Orthodox Church in America?

Generally in favor. I do find it problematic of the remaining (Orthodox) patriarchiates from the Pentarchy...three are opposed and one is rather "meh." It will work itself out in time, I suppose. I'll not post my thoughts with respect to the EP on this issue...but I'm sure you can figure them out....that being said...as a "new" Orthodox it is merely better that I submit and then question later. lol.

3. What is your favorite icon?

My favorite festal icon is the Baptism of Christ - a commemoration of many things to include the first time the Trinity was fully revealed. Of things saintly it is Gregory the Theologian (Nazianzen) - for his impact on Trinitarian theology. I also like the Icon of the Lament of Rachel. When I'm at home and have access to imagery I'll post them in.

4. If there were an Eighth Ecumenical Council, what decisions would you hope to be declared?

Allow me to think on this one for a bit.

5. What books besides those of ++Kallistos Ware would you suggest for people interesting in learning more about Eastern Christianity and/or the Eastern Orthodox Church?

I read Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" as well as his "Orthodox Theology: An Introduction." I also read the "The Way of the Pilgrim & The Pilgrim Continues His Way." Likewise, I had a variety of service books such as the Divine Liturgy and the All Night Vigil. Frankly, I was too full of book knowledge. My confessor gave me the "Jordanville Prayerbook" and told me to start using that as an entry to Orthodoxy...and it worked wonders. The Orthodox pray...a lot.

6. Silly question (but wholly honest): do you know of a good supplier of beeswax candles?

To be honest...I get mine from Amazon.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I need some help if possible

I mis-sent blessings to 29th May 2009 Donation
Given abideinhim thanks for stopping at the sit and chat 12,800who hasn't been active for a while.

they were supposed to be sent to abidenhim. I have taken care of that but since the above is not active is there anyway to correct my mistake?

I believe via PM we determined that this was taken care of, correct?

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
JoyforJESUS, I took care of that one the easy way. :)

Tonks, what is the airspeed velocity of a laden swallow?

Our young mod beat me to it...but that was going to be my answer too. lol. However, the question actually refers to the velocity of an unladen swallow. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Could someone tell me which browser this site is designed for, or most compatible with? IE doesn't work, for sure, keeps crashing. I'm trying Google Chrome, which seems better. Does Firefox work best? How about Safari?

Designed for? Good question. I use it in IE (at work because I'm forced to) and in Firefox (at home by choice). I prefer Firefox but, honestly, don't really see too many differences.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a question.

If the Nicene-Constantinople Creed is used as the basis for what defines a "Christian" on this board, why are the LDS and the Freemasons (ala the Shriners) allowed to advertise on this board, when their beliefs are heretical to Christianity?

The ads are driven by keywords on the site when searched. If there is a substantial amount of discussion about those topics ads will appear which are targeted towards those keywords. We don't choose the ads...however I believe that both types of those ads are inappropriate. If you see them be sure to send the link directly to the site owner, Pauler. He's the only one that can remove the ads

Furthermore, both the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church (the two largest Christian communions in the world) will ex-communicate any member who is a Freemason.

So what's the deal? Why are we allowing heretics to advertise non-Christian values on a "Christian" site?

See above. I'm pretty sure we can only block ads already being served to us...I'm not sure whether the filters are granular enough to pick up anything outside of broad categories (ie: no inappropriate content ads etc).

Upvote 0
T

TrutherAU

Ok i dont know, if this is what you in mind when you stated any questions.
However as i do not as yet have sufficient user privilidges at the present time i cannot post my own thread on this issue separately.
I would like one of the mods to kindly look into some user cp difficulties I am having for exmple my Christian icon/denom icon has completely disappeared from my posts as anyone can see above, even though its box has been ticked in user cp options so i would like one of the mods to tell me how and why this has occured.
For example is this happening by accident or have my options been disabled delibratey without me being informed.:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
You had selected "hide faith icon" when I looked at your account. I've fixed it.

Those have nothing to do with set user permissions...they are enabled for everyone the minute that they sign up. They're set for the entire usergroup...not individually. Sometimes the options don't "stick" for lack of a better word...this seems to occur with gender most often for some bizarre reason.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.