Anyone else have a problem with eating pig?

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to the site, Grim. Hope to see you around more often.

If you really care about other living beings you wouldn't trap them, enslave them, murder them, and wear pieces of their corpses. If you only care about humans then thats either ignornant or arrogant. If you're ignornant of the sentience animals possess, i encourage you to discover that their lives are not valueless, that they have what Moses describes as "the breath of life", the very same Hebrew term used for humans which is translated and commonly understood as the soul.

Fun fact: most living things on this earth die by being eaten alive. Often painfully so, without the mercy of a quick death. All the way up the food chain to us, where our comfort allows us the luxury of actually worrying about how our food feels before we eat it. Every other animal on earth only cares about itself and its family--that hardly makes them ignorant or arrogant. It makes them good survivors. And humans are very, very good survivors.

It's not arrogance or ignorance to hold members of your own species as higher in value than members of other species. It's common sense.

I'll point out, too, that humankind was assigned, in (Genesis) the roles of tending the Garden of Eden, and rulership over the Earth and its inhabitants. It is unargueably written in the first book of the bible, in the first chapter, that humans were made to be vegetarian (seeds and fruit).

And, I'll say that slaughtering an animal is not in accordance with any of the Fruits of the Spirit. Animals indeed feel pain, experience fear, and possess a will. Just apply sympathy. Humans are not the only creatures worthy of compassion and gentleness.

If you're going to pull out the old testament, may I join you? Didn't god appreciate Abel's sacrifice of a lamb greater than Cain's offering of plants? Or am I mis-remembering sunday school again? And what about all the lambs killed and smeared over the doors of the jews in Egypt--couldn't they have gone with vegetable dyes instead? And then there's the flood, where all of the animals on earth save a handful are drowned to death because one species (man) had to mess things up for everyone. (This is why we can't have nice things!)

Yup, the OT god sure is against the slaughtering of animals!

If you're not convinced yet that being vegan is our moral responsibility, analyze what you like about being a predator. It's likely the carnal enjoyment of tasting burnt flesh at the expense of another's life, or the enjoyment of feeling superior in might. Most human predators believe in the lifestyle of predation because they were raised to by their parents or society. However, parents and society can teach plenty of wrong things; predation is one of them. Stubborning clinging to a life founded upon violence, upon spilling blood for enjoyment, seems to me a failure of sincerity.

'Superior in might' probably doesn't motivate anyone any more. I certainly didn't kill my own food, and even hunters pretty much sit around in a box until something wanders by and they can use their 21st century technology to shoot a thing designed to evade stuff that has claws and teeth instead of gunpowder. Oooooh, mighty.

But yes, it tastes good. And I have these sharp teeth for a reason.

Consider, if Zion has a rule of not harming animals (see Revelations), and you have the choice of living in Zion and never eating flesh again, or staying out in the open world of violence and competition, what do you choose?

As for me and my kind we will tend the garden and value life.

Eating flesh. Definitely.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, does the goose really have to be FORCE STUFFED to get the liver fatty enough?

To get it tasty enough. This was tested on one of Chef Gordon Ramsay's cooking shows. He was given a blind taste test between goose liver that was the result of force feeding and goose liver that wasn't. He easily identified the force fed goose liver because it was tastier.

I don't know for certain, but the tastiness might be tied to the fat concentration in the liver.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you're not convinced yet that being vegan is our moral responsibility, analyze what you like about being a predator.

I like eating meat. That's kinda the point.

My four basic reasons are:

1) Taste
2) Aesthetics
3) Mood
4) Health

Meat is tasty and adds to the enjoyment of life. Cooking can be an artform enjoyed for its artistic qualities. Meat can improve my mood. And meat is healthy in moderation.

It's likely the carnal enjoyment of tasting burnt flesh

That, and I'm on a LCHF diet, which involves eating meat and fish. We are omnivores. We've evolved to eat meat, and it is healthy for us in moderation.

at the expense of another's life, or the enjoyment of feeling superior in might.

No, it's just the meat.

Consider, if Zion has a rule of not harming animals (see Revelations), and you have the choice of living in Zion and never eating flesh again, or staying out in the open world of violence and competition, what do you choose?

The open world, thanks. I'm not interested in living on a hippie vegetarian commune.

eudamonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Understand that the golden rule is to be applied to all living beings.

Not that I'm a christian, but I don't see any Biblical reason to think that the golden rule applies to all living beings.

Consider how a dog gets a name and answers to it. Pigs are just as smart as dogs, so basically there's no difference between them, a pig eater is like a dog eater, yet there are laws against eating dogs in America.

The laws against eating dogs in America have nothing to do with the estimated IQ of dogs.

The only real thing keeping the brutish from eating dogs is their own private emotional investment in dogs.

And that is an excellent reason.

I feel it is our place to invest our heart in all living beings on Earth.

Okay, you feel this. That doesn't mean that I'm obligated to feel the same way. You've certainly given me no good reasons to do so.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
My issue is more about the animal itself. I love good, thick bacon, but not crazy about ham. However, here in Toronto, we have the equivalent of a state fair where you can see cows and pigs, and pigs are just filthy. They smell bad, and are kind of the garbage trucks of the earth, who will eat just about anything, which is why they are fed "slop."

They stink really bad.

So, nothing makes me really think, "Mmm, I bet them is good eatin..." I think, "That's like eating off a garbage truck flloor."

I think that is why it was banned in the OT, along with seabirds and shellfish (that are the garbage trucks of the air and sea.) I have read, for example, that your chances of getting Hep A from raw oysters is 1 in

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I asked this earlier. Never really heard of the idea of animals without sweat glands being poisonous....

No answer for me yet either.

My apology, I thought you might look it up for yourself. One learns better that way, than just being told. ;)

There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig.
A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand a cow takes a good twenty-four hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health.
Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in their system to be stored in their more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption.
Another issue with the pig is that it doesn’t have any sweat glands. Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body.

birds are primarily uricotelic, that is, their kidneys extract nitrogenous wastes from their bloodstream and excrete it as uric acid instead of urea or ammonia via the ureters into the intestine. Birds do not have a urinary bladder or external urethral opening and (with exception of the Ostrich) uric acid is excreted along with feces as a semisolid waste.

Birds don't need to sweat, being in flight and of lighter frame.

Upvote 0

cutekittycat

broken doll
Jun 27, 2012
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fun fact: most living things on this earth die by being eaten alive. Often painfully so, without the mercy of a quick death. All the way up the food chain to us, where our comfort allows us the luxury of actually worrying about how our food feels before we eat it. Every other animal on earth only cares about itself and its family--that hardly makes them ignorant or arrogant. It makes them good survivors. And humans are very, very good survivors.

It's not arrogance or ignorance to hold members of your own species as higher in value than members of other species. It's common sense.

does that mean..... angels feast on humans?
guess i'll be good this christmas :)

If you're going to pull out the old testament, may I join you? Didn't god appreciate Abel's sacrifice of a lamb greater than Cain's offering of plants? Or am I mis-remembering sunday school again? And what about all the lambs killed and smeared over the doors of the jews in Egypt--couldn't they have gone with vegetable dyes instead? And then there's the flood, where all of the animals on earth save a handful are drowned to death because one species (man) had to mess things up for everyone. (This is why we can't have nice things!)

Yup, the OT god sure is against the slaughtering of animals!

yea, as i understood it, OT is very bloody.
some rituals consists of spreading blood all over the tent and altar.... (iirc).
Leviticus is fun!

Eating flesh. Definitely.

so we will have a zombie apocalypse, got it. :)

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
The way animals were raised and killed in Jesus' time is much different than now. If you watch documentaries like Food, Inc., they show how animals are often overcrowded, often stressed, chickens are debeaked or boiled while still alive. The animals are often processed inhumanely, and often results in unhealthy livestock.

Halal is about the most humane way of killing, because the animal loses consciousness pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

kittycat7

Apr 7, 2010
✟15,513.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a moral problem with eating pig. (Aside from the way they're raised these days. Most pigs are kept in cages so small they can't even turn around. If a dog was treated like that the cops would be on the owners in 2 seconds.) However, any type of pork other than bacon has made me feel slightly ill ever since reading somewhere that human flesh tastes like pork.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I eat meat but only grass fed, free range humanly raised...

I don't eat pork,we try to eat kosher but we have many diet restrictions by choice, nothing processed(including sugar), guten free, non-gmo as organic as possible, raw dairy and we use certain oils for cooking so it is not always as possible.

Why gluten-free? As long as you are not adding massive extra gluten like the store bought breads, you should fine unless you are a celiac. Many people that have problems with gluten is because of too much gluten in store bought products. Celiacs can't process a certain protein in gluten. If so, they can use other grains that have gluten but don't have that protein.

If you grind your own wheat to make bread from fresh ground wheat, it shouldn't be a problem. A celiac would have to use alternate grains that don't contain the protein such as spelt.

My brother had a grain distribution business. Gluten-free is a big craze atm but much of the hipe is non-sense. Unless you are a celiac, why be gluten free?

Upvote 0
According to OT which some might argue that things in the OT do not apply to the "now".... Leviticus Chap. 11 verses 3,4 "whatsoever parteth the hoof, and the clovenfooted,and chewth the cud, that ye shall....Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that cheweth the cud, or of them that divide the hook, as the camel because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you"

Upvote 0