Should the son of a deadbeat biological father be put to death?

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm the son of a deadbeat father myself, and I'll be 19 in March. I keep thinking back to certain clues and events throughout my life, and I don't know why, but I feel like I should die. I don't feel scared to die, however I do feel sad and excited whenever I think about it.

My mother, grandmother, and stepfather, who are all believers of God and the Bible, looks down on my biological dad and his family. And rightfully so, since my dad walked out on me and my mom when I was 2, and we both had to go back to living with my grandmother.

Anyways, my grandmother hates my dad, my stepdad does too, and I'm pretty sure anyone else who knew that my dad was a deadbeat would hate him too, and would see me as unlucky for being a male child of his.

When I keep thinking about all of this, it makes the concept of death seem less and less scary. What do y'all think?

• Friendly
Reactions: Verv

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're only 19. You have no business thinking about death at such a young age. Go out and seek a therapist for some help.
Right, I get that it's pretty young, but what about the whole context of my post? Age doesn't have anything to do with anything. Demons can be any age, from a kid to a 110 year old man.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As the son of a deadbeat dad, I think what you're saying about being put to death, is bizarre and disturbing. And I also think that you should seek therapy.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, I get that it's pretty young, but what about the whole context of my post? Age doesn't have anything to do with anything. Demons can be any age, from a kid to a 110 year old man.

Seek a psychotherapist or clinical social worker to deal with your "demons".

Upvote 0

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try convincing me I'm wrong then. My dad split when I was about a year old and I never met him. And needless to say, I didn't hear good things about him. So I should be able to realte to what you're saying.
I guess. But that just goes to show how worthless this world, and life in general actually is. People tell you to "go to therapy", just so you can pay someone else to listen to you whine about your own problems. Like, bruh. Lmao.

I mean hey, if paying someone else to listen to some weak, insignificant individual is the only other option I got besides death, then I might as well go pay some bucks at the local gun store or something.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I'm the son of a deadbeat father myself, and I'll be 19 in March. I keep thinking back to certain clues and events throughout my life, and I don't know why, but I feel like I should die. I don't feel scared to die, however I do feel sad and excited whenever I think about it.

My mother, grandmother, and stepfather, who are all believers of God and the Bible, looks down on my biological dad and his family. And rightfully so, since my dad walked out on me and my mom when I was 2, and we both had to go back to living with my grandmother.

Anyways, my grandmother hates my dad, my stepdad does too, and I'm pretty sure anyone else who knew that my dad was a deadbeat would hate him too, and would see me as unlucky for being a male child of his.

When I keep thinking about all of this, it makes the concept of death seem less and less scary. What do y'all think?
Yeah dude our lives are not our own, if you died by your choosing you basically are murdering yourself, sorry if that sounds harsh but it sounds like you need a splash of cold water to the face and i don't know how else to give it to you. DO NOT DIE.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,363.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm the son of a deadbeat father myself, and I'll be 19 in March. I keep thinking back to certain clues and events throughout my life, and I don't know why, but I feel like I should die.

Do you know why you feel like that?
Is it connected to having a "deadbeat" father?
Is it because you feel you haven't achieved much?

I don't feel scared to die, however I do feel sad and excited whenever I think about it.
Sad and excited are two different emotions.
What makes you feel sad? The thought of leaving this life? The thought that you might leave without having achieved anything? The thought that you are like your father and death is "inevitable"?
What makes you feel excited? The thought that you will be out of this world and with God forever? The thought that you will have achieved your own death?
If your life was to end, how do you know that God won't be disappointed that you wasted it? How do you know that he will allow it to end? If you don't believe in life after death, why does the thought of not existing any more excite you? Do you believe in complete oblivion after death?

Sounds like your dad wasn't a good role model for his children, and I can imagine that caused a great deal of hurt.
You could talk to someone about that and receive healing.
Anyways, my grandmother hates my dad, my stepdad does too,
Understandable - but sad that someone who believes in a God of love, who forgives and gives second chances, should still feel that way.

and I'm pretty sure anyone else who knew that my dad was a deadbeat would hate him too, and would see me as unlucky for being a male child of his.
Maybe - but why do you have to be defined by your father?
He was "deadbeat"; be better than he was. He ran away from responsibility; live your life to the full and show him that you can survive without him. One day you MAY understand and begin to forgive, but it sounds like that is a long way off.
You're 18; an adult. You have responsibility for your own life.
If it's not good, you can try to make it better. You can show others, who might pity you, that you've got what it takes to turn things around. You can be your own man, not defined by your father.
You could have 60 or 70 years ahead of you, to live, love, be a great dad yourself, maybe even be a grandfather - how do you feel about that?

One thing's for sure, if you were to die, meet God and were asked to give an account of your life and actions, saying "it's my dad's fault" would not be an option.

If thoughts of death are really strong and you can't see anything else; try to find a therapist. Or, if you want someone to talk to and to explore your feelings and options, email jo@samaritans.org.

Reactions: Chris04
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess. But that just goes to show how worthless this world, and life in general actually is. People tell you to "go to therapy", just so you can pay someone else to listen to you whine about your own problems. Like, bruh. Lmao.

I mean hey, if paying someone else to listen to some weak, insignificant individual is the only other option I got besides death, then I might as well go pay some bucks at the local gun store or something.

Talking to somebody who has an ethical commitment to helping you nonjudgementally, as a therapist does, is exactly what you need right now. It's a case of having the humility to realize that there is help available, if you wish to pursue it.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You stated that several of your family members are Christian, however, you never stated your status as a Christian.

If you are Christian, think of our heavenly Father as your eternal Father and familiarize yourself with the promises of God to each of us. Forget about your earthly Father and develop the habit of thinking of God Almighty as your eternal Father. This will take some time and effort on your part, but is well worth it.

Reactions: Chris04
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don't let the past rob your future. God has a habit of taking even our weakness and filling it with his strength. Note the following:

Mat 5:4-5 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.

The verses show what we start out as, and what God turns us into. Those who are sad, become the comforted. Those who are weak and timid, take on world inheriting strength.

The unlucky, become the blessed. Your family needs you, in God you have a gift that will bless them and others.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What your dad did or did not do has nothing to do with what you can do or not do, do not disappoint the people who helped you to grow up, make something out of your life.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

No one wants to be where they are not wanted.

You could join the army or navy, anything to get you out of the enviroment you are in.

You asked what we all think,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you really think you know more about how life works than I do? I've been at this three times longer than you have. Now why are you going public with this? What are you looking for? Help? Pity? Attention?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I think you need to go to a therapist and get some treatment. CBT for low mood would be a good choice based on what you say.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
"Therapy"

Oh. Okay then. LMAO.
I’ve been a therapist for ver 15 years (I do CBT). It can really help. Is it something you have considered?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

It isn't wrong thinking about death at your age, as some say it is. You are simply contemplating your place in the world, and these thoughts that you are having are a natural response to all circumstances involved in your life. My only concern is that you aren't thinking about suicide.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I was suicidal at age 21, while trying to recover from substance abuse problems. I had a history of anger and lust worse than the substance abuse. Blaming my problems on my dad did not take away the pain of my failure. In 1982 I started walking along a road with $70 in my pocket and a backpack full of clothes. There was a severe recession. Occasionally I helped unload a truck or harvest fruit. Christians helped me from time to time with handouts and words of advice. One couple said they were helping me because of Jesus. Seven years later I was working two jobs and had my own apartment in a high rise. My parents sent money for a pickup truck. I sold my motorcycle. I read the Gospels and other books of the Bible. The Bible is both fact and fiction. At age 63 I am handicapped. It is difficult for me as I used to be strong enough to help move pianos. The voice of a store clerk helping me buy a pass for the toll roads was enough to make me praise God for creation had not turned against me that hour.

As Paul was on his final journey to Jerusalem, he spoke to those assembled to hear him:

Acts 20:35 World English Bible​

35 In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring you ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Upvote 0