Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is baptism of the Holy Spirit, not water.

Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you Be Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ For The Remission Of Sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• Acts 2:38.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I was as a baby and am looking for a second.

My wife and I both are.

The new church we had attended a few times, refused to baptize us even without meeting with us or hearing our testimony.

They claimed they will not baptize us because according to them, we were not part of their church.

Needless to say, we wont be going back there, ever, so the search for a church that actually follows scripture rather than judge blindly.... is on again.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Is being baptized once enough?
Transformation is through baptism in the Holy Spirit. Water baptism does not change you. It is a symbolic ritual for communal verification only. Please go back to scripture where John the Baptist clearly explains the difference between his water and Jesus Christ of Nazareth Spiritual baptism.
As far as this weekend, by all means get water baptized however, you may still doubt your salvation until you get filled with His Holy Spirit.
Blessings

PS: I was baptized as an infant as well in the Catholic Church but when I became born again receiving His Holy Spirit, I was water baptized in front of the church for verification of my commitment to Christ.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the side that says a 2nd baptism isn't necessary and only God's grace is. Nevertheless I plan to get baptized again in the future as a thanks to Jesus. The thought of displaying my faith publicy like that gives me anxiety/fear, probably more the reason I should do it even if not a requirement for salvation.

Thanks for the insights everyone.

As the Creed states: "I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins". If you choose to believe in "believers" or "infant" baptism that is a different matter. I believe in Infant Baptism for a number of reasons.

However, it is not a good reason to do it as a "display of faith" if you believe your infant baptism to be valid - there are other more appropriate ways to accomplish a display of faith if this is your reasoning. If you are doing it because you do not think your infant baptism was efficacious that is another matter and something to ponder.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was christened in a catholic church as a baby. We attended a Methodist church, so when I turned 13 I went through confirmation. According to the church, I was officially saved. A few of my peers got sprinkled at that time, but I didn't. I thought I was good to go.

The thing is, I wasn't Saved. I didn't understand Salvation. I had not received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in my heart, just on paper.

15 years later I did receive Him in my heart. It took another 5 years or so before I was ready to submit to the Lord in the form of public baptism. Oh how the Lord has worked in me since.

Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change and represents a public submission to the Will of God.

So I have been baptized. The only way I would do it again is if I ever go to Israel. To be baptized in the Jordan would be an opportunity I cannot imagine passing up.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was christened in a catholic church as a baby. We attended a Methodist church, so when I turned 13 I went through confirmation. According to the church, I was officially saved.
I'm quite sure that the United Methodist church does not teach that if you are baptized and confirmed, you are saved, period.

A few of my peers got sprinkled at that time, but I didn't. I thought I was good to go.
You were. At least as far as those ceremonies are concerned.

The thing is, I wasn't Saved. I didn't understand Salvation. I had not received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in my heart, just on paper.
Absolutely correct. Baptism doesn't buy you a "Get out of Hell" card.

15 years later I did receive Him in my heart. It took another 5 years or so before I was ready to submit to the Lord in the form of public baptism.
A mistake. You already had been baptized--and confirmed. All that you lacked was Faith, and when you then had your conversion experience, you were there.

No second baptism, even if possible, would change any of that.

Oh how the Lord has worked in me since.
Glad to hear it!

• Winner
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Baptism doesn't save you. if you feel compelled by God to do it then go ahead, but it's not a salvation issue.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Baptism - What is it?

Baptism symbolizes and declares our new faith in Christ and our trust in His forgiveness. Buried in the water, we arise to a new life in Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

By baptism we confess our faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and testify of our death to sin and of our purpose to walk in newness of life. Thus we acknowledge Christ as Lord and Saviour, become His people, and are received as members by His church. Baptism is a symbol of our union with Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, and our reception of the Holy Spirit. It is by immersion in water and is contingent on an affirmation of faith in Jesus and evidence of repentance of sin. It follows instruction in the Holy Scriptures and acceptance of their teachings. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 2:38; 16:30-33; 22:16; Rom. 6:1-6; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12, 13.)

Go visit the referenced scriptures ... and if that is where you are at spiritually ... then by all means get baptized again

What did you know about Jesus when you were a baby? Nothing ... what do you know now?

Baptism is your personal and public acknowledgement that you choose Christ and to walk in His ways.

One doesn't get baptized to be saved ... one gets baptized to proclaim ... I have received Jesus and I am saved. ;o)

Jesus Himself got baptized (as an adult), he didn't need to be saved ... and what happened then?

Matthew 3

As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. Suddenly the heavens were opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and resting on Him.

17[URL='https://biblehub.com/greek/2532.htm']And a [/URL]voice from heaven said, “This is My beloved
Son, in whom I am well pleased!”

Whether you choose to be baptized again or not does not affect your salvation ... committing yourself to Jesus does.

and He does ask that we do make this commitment through understanding what all baptism represents.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A person can be born again (transformed) without being baptized with water. Cornelius and his household believed, received the Holy Spirit, and began speaking in tongues before they were baptized with water. As for being baptized a second time, I was baptized when I was a child but didn’t experience any life change. Later in life when I was 38 years old I turned to Christ and about a year later decided to get baptized again as a symbol of my faith. As far as getting baptized in order to be born again I personally don’t believe it is necessary and personally I would suggest being baptized the second time when you do feel that you are born again not before. Water baptism is the outward symbol of our devotion to Christ.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
True baptism makes us children of God and members of His Church It is spiritual birth. Just like natural birth, which makes us members of a human family, it can only be done once. It can have no further effect, to go through the motions again.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is only one baptism the rest just get you wet. You will never find getting baptized multiple in Scripture or the history of the Church.
Unless the baptism was deemed unfit then the church would require it.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you Be Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ For The Remission Of Sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• Acts 2:38..

Look at these red letters:

Repent and let every one of you be baptized . . . and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Repentance precedes baptized. So you must repent before being baptized. Letting people be baptized just means after people have repented, they are allowed to be baptized.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
True baptism makes us children of God and members of His Church It is spiritual birth. Just like natural birth, which makes us members of a human family, it can only be done once. It can have no further effect, to go through the motions again.

Cite verses that explicitly state a second baptism is a waste of time.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cite verses that explicitly state a second baptism is a waste of time.

Eph. 4:5
One Lord, One faith, One baptism

Even your quoted Acts 2:38 does not say "repent and let everyone be baptized until they feel it is right".

While the Bible may be unclear on when a baptism should be done, it never implies that it should be done more than once.

But in the end this argument is probably moot as it has raged for generations, for literally millennia, and people are steadfast on both sides, the internet is not going to solve it nor is it going to sway anyone's mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

As a child i was baptized by the Catholic church because of my grandparents. I fell away from God and when i came to a saving faith in January i decided to be rebaptized, as did my brother. We were baptized in May of this year as a public display of our faith.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes he took it, but that baptism--the baptism of John--is clearly described later on as defunct.

In the New Testament, it is contrasted with the baptism administered in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost which Jesus told his Apostles to take to the4 whole world.

Some people may refer to circumcision because of certain similarities, but Christian baptism is not a replacement for circumcision.

Well, that's what Baptists and the offshoot denominations from that one think, but most Christian churches believe that baptism is not in vain, even if the person later falls away from the faith.

I got baptized after I was saved.. how is baptism defunct? I think the Bible indicates we should be baptised..

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes. I was first baptized in church, then a second time in the river Jordan, just south of the Sea of Galilee. Once is enough. There was nothing special about the 2nd baptism. Just a dirty river.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Eph. 4:5
One Lord, One faith, One baptism.

Water baptism is not specified. How do you know it is not Holy Spirit baptism? (I bet it is.)
While the Bible may be unclear on when a baptism should be done, it never implies that it should be done more than once.

The Bible is clear about when people should be baptized: after they are born again. Some of the apostles, obviously including John, told believers to spread the Good News and be baptized - in that order.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married