Anyone been baptized twice?

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
then if there is no clear way of knowing how the baptism is to be performed, what we do know is that you gotta use water!
Clearly the scriptures say they used bodies of water, they used the Jordan river, otherwise they would say , we the disciples opened up our canteen and baptized but it doesn't , Jesus came up out of the water etc....

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where in the scriptures does it say that the Baptism must be full immersion? There are implications that it can be full immersion, as it harks back to Mikvah use, but many of the passages do not actually describe a full immersion, necessarily. Further, if it is merely a symbol, a public declaration of my faith, then why must it be full immersion? Why could I not make a profession and have water poured over my head?
The bible did not show water being poured on people's heads.
The word baptize comes from the greek word baptizo which meant immersion.
Acts 8:36-39. The evangelist, Philip, had been teaching the gospel of JESUS Christ to an Ethiopian eunuch while they were riding along in a chariot.

ACTS 8 : 36-39 : "Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, See here is water, what hinders me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Clearly the scriptures say they used bodies of water, they used the Jordan river, otherwise they would say , we the disciples opened up our canteen and baptized but it doesn't , Jesus came up out of the water etc....
Did they have kitchen faucets and garden hoses in those days? I do not think so.

But if you believe that every last thing that the Hebrews did 2000 years ago must be imitated by us Christians or else our worship, etc. is invalidated...

What does your minister wear on Sunday morning for worship. Do you ever use electronic amplification in church? You see where I'm going with this.

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Did they have kitchen faucets and garden hoses in those days? I do not think so.

But if you believe that every last thing that the Hebrews did 2000 years ago must be imitated by us Christians or else our worship, etc. is invalidated...

What does your minister wear on Sunday morning for worship. Do you ever use electronic amplification in church? You see where I'm going with this.
Irrelevant about hoses. They had pails & earthen pitchers and probably used skins to carry water .
There is not any evidence they sprinkled water --period.

I never had any loyalty to a denomination or a human tradition.
I only will use the the Biblical truth only.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Irrelevant about hoses.
Not irrelevant. Your claim was that however the early Christians did a thing was the one and only way it has to look, etc.

If so, then most of what we do in any church today, irrespective of denomination, is invalid, just as the Baptists say a baptism performed with the water touching the candidate in some way other than the one way they prefer it to happen cannot be valid.

That might be a good way, even the most symbolic way, but when it gets to the point of saying it invalidates the sacrament/ordinance if the water hits the person slightly differently, that's something that's less defensible.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are ignoring the examples of scripture. I won't.
Not at all. I have referred to the Scriptural record in several instances here. None of it seems to have made the least impact and certainly did not bring any rebuttal.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. I have referred to the Scriptural record in several instances here. None of it seems to have made the least impact and certainly did not bring any rebuttal.
Listen, believe what You want & follow what You want , that is up to you. I didn't challenge you and your beliefs about baby baptism, I simply posted my testimony to the OP and why I thought he should use this opportunity to be baptized as an adult.
But as soon as I or anyone has an opinion on immersion baptism it triggers a defensive response from certain denominations who just want to argue.
Seriously there are not any examples of babies being sprinkled in the Bible and everyone who has read the Bible objectively knows it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Listen, believe what You want & follow what You want , that is up to you. I didn't challenge you and your beliefs about baby baptism, I simply posted my testimony to the OP and why I thought he should use this opportunity to be baptized as an adult.

And I posted my testimony, just as you posted yours.

But as soon as I or anyone has an opinion on immersion baptism it triggers a defensive response from certain denominations who just want to argue.
Well, we do want the inquirer here to have all the facts, don't we?

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And I posted my testimony, just as you posted yours.

Well, we do want the inquirer here to have all the facts, don't we?
No albion,
You posted to me to make the claim about infant baptism because the bible said "the household" & so the back and forth began.
The denom I was born in did infant baptism only.
After I was well into my adulthood , aka I could read the Bible for myself, --I left and chose to get baptized as an adult by another church that believes the bible is the inerrant authoritative Divinely given, & prophetic Word of God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No albion,
You posted to me to make the claim about infant baptism because the bible said "the household" & so the back and forth began.
What do you want? We have different ideas about the meaning of and administration of baptism; and it probably is worthwhile for the writer of the OP to have both views, that's all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you want? We have different ideas about the meaning of and administration of baptism; and it probably is worthwhile for the writer of the OP to have both views, that's all.

Exactly, the OP and anyone should know how the Historic Churches have done baptism from the very beginning since the Apostles and all over the historic record as opposed to the new way which denies God's grace

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Is being baptized once enough?

If infant baptism is the way to go, why wasn't Jesus baptized as an infant?
I'd stick to following in Jesus' footsteps.
Because the Prophet John had to be the first one to Baptize.

He took John the Baptist's baptism, not His own.
People who argue for infant baptism refer to circumcision. Yet circumcision was only to mark a promise for a specific people, not a ritual of faith towards God.
People who baptize their babies, and those babies who grow up and stray from God. Those baptisms are in vain. An infant is technically an unbeliever, and there is nothing that supports baptizing unbelievers.
Baptism is the act of dying and being buried with Jesus, then resurrecting into a new person. It's a public deceleration of faith (which an infant can't do). It's an act of obedience (which an infant can't do). It's an agreement with God that you will turn from your old sinful life, and follow Jesus (which an infant can't do).

Adults get baptized and fall away all the time as well. Baptism is the first step to being reborn in the Church. Sure getting Baptized as an adult might give you a temporary sense of betterness psychologically, but it won't change your heart or your soul. Only heartfelt repentance can do that. One Baptism gives rebirth and Laying of the hands gives the Holy Spirit. There is no reason to undergo rebaptism as it will not have any effect. What was however repeated was the laying on of the hands in the NT, the chrism. That is what Churches have traditionally done if one is coming back into the faith.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try reading it this way:

"I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:8

In other words, the administrator of the baptism (pastor, etc.) only assists the candidate with the ceremony, while it is the Holy Spirit who makes Baptism what it is--a channel of grace, belonging, and reconciliation with God.
Water baptism at the time this was said was used by Jews to convert gentiles to Judaism. God used it as a picture to symbolize the restoration of His life, lost in Adam, to those He would indwell when a person accepted Jesus Christ and was born again; the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe it has anything to do with assisting candidates in a ceremony. But, we can disagree without being disagreeable. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Is being baptized once enough?
The gifts of God in Romans 11 are irrevocable. Your salvation is safe you have God’s guarantee His Holy Spirit. The only way you can lose your salvation is to not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Others try to add you have to do but a jailer asked what he must do to be saved. The was to believe. If you believe you have His Spirit and if you have His Spirit testiies to us

Reactions: Bcs90
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism at the time this was said was used by Jews to convert gentiles to Judaism. God used it as a picture to symbolize the restoration of His life, lost in Adam, to those He would indwell when a person accepted Jesus Christ and was born again; the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe it has anything to do with assisting candidates in a ceremony. But, we can disagree without being disagreeable. Be blessed.
Much of that historic overview is correct, but baptism by water is undeniably what Christ sent his Apostles out into the world to do.

• Agree
Upvote 0