LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think I do want to get baptized (again) in hopes it will increase my faith. but you are saying I need that faith while being baptized.
We don't baptize to get faith, rather we baptize because we have faith.
Our faith and following Jesus is represented in baptism. When we believe and trust in Him, we deny ourselves, pickup our cross and follow Him, where we die and resurrect with Him to a new life (baptism).
We don't die and resurrect (baptism) and then believe after.

Upvote 0

Bcs90

Jul 8, 2019
Willmar
✟16,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our faith and following Jesus is represented in baptism. When we believe and trust in Him, we deny ourselves, pickup our cross and follow Him, where we die and resurrect with Him to a new life (baptism).
We don't die and resurrect (baptism) and then
We don't die and resurrect (baptism) and then believe after.

but can one have just the smallest speck of faith and be baptised then through that their faith grows tenfold?

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
but can one have just the smallest speck of faith and be baptised then through that their faith grows tenfold?
I wouldn't say that baptism has that purpose of growing our faith.
"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the word of God".
But as long as you know why you're getting baptized, and it's meaningful to you, and you have faith (regardless of how small).
I don't think you'll automatically get more faith from baptism, but the more you walk with Jesus, the more your faith will grow.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is being baptized once enough?
Infant Baptism is a dedication service where the Parents, Godparents & the Whole Church make a commitment to do all they can to train up and raise the Child as a Christian. Then when the child is older. Usually around 12 years of age they go through a commitment service where they embrace the Christian faith and become a part of the church. Usually new members are prayed for by the bishop and this is when they receive apostolic succession: a transfer of authority from Peter and the Apostles. A lot of the churches use the book of common prayer. I was in a Baptist church and I wanted to get my son baptised. He was around 5 at the time. The pastor refused to do it. So I left that church and transferred to an Episcopal church where the Priest there was happy to perform the service for us. It was kind of nice because my whole family showed up for that service. My one brother and my dad were there and they never go to church. Only wedding, funerals and apparently baptisms. My dad liked how happy and upbeat the church was. He was raised in a hell fire and brimstone church when he did not like at all.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Hey hey bro ;)

Ive been baptized twice. Once as a child and a second time as an adult.

I did so because i felt like doing so. I wanted to affirm my commitment to God.

Id say go for it if thats what you want

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There is this thing going on at the lake this weekend, church picnic and baptizing people in the lake. I asked my dad if he wanted to but he replied "No. I've been baptized, I like to stay dry." lol. I've been baptized as a baby too but I have not even began seeking God until recently. I guess the reason I was considering it is because I don't yet feel "transformed" and concern that if I don't get baptized again I may lose my chance at salvation?

But I don't know if thats truth that could just be a false truth I've led myself to think.

Baptism in the new testament is always for a believing adult. The word "baptise" means to immerse, such as when a ship sinks. Baptism does no save in the sense of being born again. Otherwise the thief on the cross could not have gone to paradise. Baptism is an important public declaration of your faith in the Lord Jesus. It represents us dying to the world system. Baptism itself is meaningless if you are not born again.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
He took John the Baptist's baptism, not His own.
People who argue for infant baptism refer to circumcision. Yet circumcision was only to mark a promise for a specific people, not a ritual of faith towards God.
People who baptize their babies, and those babies who grow up and stray from God. Those baptisms are in vain. An infant is technically an unbeliever, and there is nothing that supports baptizing unbelievers.
Baptism is the act of dying and being buried with Jesus, then resurrecting into a new person. It's a public deceleration of faith (which an infant can't do). It's an act of obedience (which an infant can't do). It's an agreement with God that you will turn from your old sinful life, and follow Jesus (which an infant can't do).
There is nothing technical about an infant's unbelieving. I was baptised as an infant and I could not have been further away from God.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was not baptised as a child, therefore when I accepted Christ, I was baptised by full immersion in a baptismal pool.

This year, I attended a confirmation service with the Bishop, and was confirmed.

Reactions: Bcs90
Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
i think once is enough. i don't think there's a passage in the bible that says you have to do it twice.

g

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We dedicated our children to the Lord. I was christened as a baby, but this was for my parents. And in truth they were not believers. When I came to faith baptism was the expression of that faith as a testimony and obedience to Christ, amen.

Reactions: Bcs90
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Very wrong understanding , baptism of water has nothing to do with salvation and salvation is not of works.

Just think about it logically somebody could be in desert and repent dying of heat in his last few minutes of his life and would be unable or didn't even know that baptism exist he could simply say forgive me God in his heart and be saved.

Read this below carefully

Acts 1:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 19

1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Matthew 3:11-17 King James Version (KJV)
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Salvation is free of any works Ephesians 2:8-9 , Galatians 2:16.

IF one believes he can lose eternal life then he/she does not understand what eternal means . It means forever , thus if you could lose it then it could not be eternal to begin with.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes. Baptism doesn't save you. God's grace given through Jesus Christ saves you. If you were baptized as an infant and you have come to faith, then apparently God's grace has saved you. You don't need to be baptized again. Nonetheless, if you decide to get baptized again it's not a sin. But, if after that you still feel like, "it didn't take" understand that you are placing the emphasis on the wrong thing. Baptism doesn't save you, just as it didn't save the thief on the cross. Only God's grace saves you, the thief on the cross, and anybody else for that matter.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The vast majority of people and by extension denominations baptize their infants becomes they believe baptism applies Gods graces upon the recipient, where typically those that don’t baptize infants see baptism as merely symbolic and an act of obedience.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Baptism is and always has been for believers, not salvation. Infant baptism is not Biblical. Tell your dad if he was not a Christian the first time (a safe assumption for babies), he does need to be baptized again.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bcs90

Jul 8, 2019
Willmar
✟16,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the side that says a 2nd baptism isn't necessary and only God's grace is. Nevertheless I plan to get baptized again in the future as a thanks to Jesus. The thought of displaying my faith publicy like that gives me anxiety/fear, probably more the reason I should do it even if not a requirement for salvation.

Thanks for the insights everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have been baptized twice, once as an infant and once as an believer. I wasn't sure about the believers baptism so I talked with different pastors. I also got a testimony of someone getting free from sins through baptism. I got convinced to do it. I was hoping for a cleansing from sins, hoping for something like the man experienced who testified to me.

Well, I didn't experience anything special at my believers baptism. Do I regret it? No! Am I convinced it was the right thing to do? No! Would I do it now if hadn't then? Maybe!

I can't give an yes or no. I think the best thing you can do is study the Bible, talk with pastors of different Christian directions, study the early Church and of course pray about it.

Good bless you! I hope you find the answer you are looking for. All the best!
/P

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Baptism is and always has been for believers, not salvation. Infant baptism is not Biblical. Tell your dad if he was not a Christian the first time (a safe assumption for babies), he does need to be baptized again.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you Be Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ For The Remission Of Sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• Acts 2:38

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you Be Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ For The Remission Of Sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• Acts 2:38.

That is baptism of the Holy Spirit, not water.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There is only one baptism the rest just get you wet. You will never find getting baptized multiple in Scripture or the history of the Church.

That is because only believers are bapized in the Bible.

Upvote 0