Any scriptural evidence that evangelized Gentiles are to keep the Sabbath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I also believe that the ecumenical council retained this ability to receive advice from the Holy Spirit and convey it to the church.

Everything happened according to God`s secret plan. He found it necessary to make a path to salvation that does not include joining the nation of Israel. The setting aside of the Law of Moses is a result of Israels unbelief. God was able to turn a tragic failure into a triumph.

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit never goes against God. God provides the Holy Spirit to help us keeps Gods laws. John 14 15:17
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

We should keep the spirit of the law but not the letter. | Sabbath Truth

If we are not obliged to do what the law literally requires, then may we literally kill, steal, and commit adultery? This cannot be the meaning of Paul's frequent allusions to the letter and the spirit. The form and spirit of the law uphold each other. We cannot break the law literally without breaking it spiritually.

The religion of the Jews in the days of Christ and the apostles had become formal and selfish. They did their good works to be seen of men, not because they loved God and their neighbor. They condemned the open violator of the law, while they did worse than he did. They strictly kept up certain popular forms of obedience to the letter of the law, such as circumcision, but Paul wrote that they were actually transgressing the law (Romans 2:27–29).

Through their traditions, they were very strict in making the Sabbath a rest day for animals, but they neglected to spend it in the nobler work of our Creator—that is, by being a blessing to their fellow man. They commanded people not to steal, yet they didn’t think twice about robbing people in business deals with Gentiles, dragging God’s name through the mud in the process.

Likewise, today some are very strict in keeping up certain popular forms of religion, while breaking God's commandments. Many would never steal their neighbor's car, and they are very strict in enforcing the letter of the law on thieves; yet they will do much worse in taking advantage of their neighbor in a business deal. They do not fulfill "the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’ ” (James 2:8) because they are “keeping” the law for selfish reasons—to avoid losing their reputation or for fear of recrimination.

Heartfelt Sabbath keeping cures this selfish religion. It helps us obey the spirit of the law, for there is no way to keep the heart of the Sabbath only because it is popular, or for outward show, or for selfish advantage over others. The only way to keep it with the heart is out of unselfish love and respect for God’s creative and redemptive power.

Are we required to keep the spirit of the law but not the letter? Consider a sentence you may find in an elementary school textbook: ‘Jane kicked the ball with all her might.’ ‘With all her might’ tells how Jane kicked the ball. Could she kick the ball with all her might without kicking the ball? The spirit of the law tells how we keep the law. Can we keep the spirit of the law without keeping its letter?

Have you read post# 307 explaining God’s commandments for the circumcision of those living among the Jews and what the Holy Spirit guided the apostles to decide on this issue in Acts 15? The apostles were no doubt guided by the Holy Spirit to abolish the necessity of circumcision for gentiles.

Now if you believe you must keep the entire letter of the law let me ask you have you kept this commandment and do you intend to keep this commandment?

“Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.”
‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭24:16‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit never goes against God. God provides the Holy Spirit to help us keeps Gods laws. John 14 15:17
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

We should keep the spirit of the law but not the letter. | Sabbath Truth

If we are not obliged to do what the law literally requires, then may we literally kill, steal, and commit adultery? This cannot be the meaning of Paul's frequent allusions to the letter and the spirit. The form and spirit of the law uphold each other. We cannot break the law literally without breaking it spiritually.

The religion of the Jews in the days of Christ and the apostles had become formal and selfish. They did their good works to be seen of men, not because they loved God and their neighbor. They condemned the open violator of the law, while they did worse than he did. They strictly kept up certain popular forms of obedience to the letter of the law, such as circumcision, but Paul wrote that they were actually transgressing the law (Romans 2:27–29).

Through their traditions, they were very strict in making the Sabbath a rest day for animals, but they neglected to spend it in the nobler work of our Creator—that is, by being a blessing to their fellow man. They commanded people not to steal, yet they didn’t think twice about robbing people in business deals with Gentiles, dragging God’s name through the mud in the process.

Likewise, today some are very strict in keeping up certain popular forms of religion, while breaking God's commandments. Many would never steal their neighbor's car, and they are very strict in enforcing the letter of the law on thieves; yet they will do much worse in taking advantage of their neighbor in a business deal. They do not fulfill "the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’ ” (James 2:8) because they are “keeping” the law for selfish reasons—to avoid losing their reputation or for fear of recrimination.

Heartfelt Sabbath keeping cures this selfish religion. It helps us obey the spirit of the law, for there is no way to keep the heart of the Sabbath only because it is popular, or for outward show, or for selfish advantage over others. The only way to keep it with the heart is out of unselfish love and respect for God’s creative and redemptive power.

Are we required to keep the spirit of the law but not the letter? Consider a sentence you may find in an elementary school textbook: ‘Jane kicked the ball with all her might.’ ‘With all her might’ tells how Jane kicked the ball. Could she kick the ball with all her might without kicking the ball? The spirit of the law tells how we keep the law. Can we keep the spirit of the law without keeping its letter?

Gods commandment demanded that the adulterous woman must be put to death and yet Jesus did not keep this commandment.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everything happened according to God`s secret plan. He found it necessary to make a path to salvation that does not include joining the nation of Israel. The setting aside of the Law of Moses is a result of Israels unbelief. God was able to turn a tragic failure into a triumph.

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Amen the law served its purpose which was to show man his sinful nature and his need for a Savior. Once the last gentile finally comes to Christ this stumbling block will be removed from the Jews and their blindness will be taken away.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
They told gentiles to begin with observing the Noahide laws and they would learn the rest in the synagogues every Sabbath...that is what the text says.

Learning the Law does not = using it to establish your own righteousness. The Galatian error can be replicated many different ways. Some churches believe you are saved by going to church on the right day, others believe they are saved because their church has the right name, some think you get saved by getting baptized correctly etc etc.

Always the same thing, Jesus isn`t enough so we do this to be saved. That type of thinking is such a sad mistake.

Jesus was successful because He did it all Himself and He only, just He, is the way to salvation.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 2
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

James didn`t teach works of the Law for salvation. He believed the same thing Paul did.
I believe James was referring to works as in good deeds.

• Agree
Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand your issue with it. God defined the 7th day as Sabbath. As you quoted: "The seventh day is the Sabbath".
Do you speak Hebrew? The Jews call their days like this:
First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Sixth day
Sabbath.

So we could name our days like this:
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sabbath.

It's not about what you name days though, it's all about which day is the seventh.

Now, in the meantime I learned that in America they count Sunday as first day of the week (which is different to my country and everything I've been used to all my life), so I get why my argument does not work for Americans, but since Sunday is the seventh day in my culture and God set seventh day = Sabbath I see no reason to change anything personally.

Trouble with this though is that the "seventh day" Sabbath God's time from the Hebrews scriptures is "sunset" Friday to "sunset" Saturday our time not "Sunday" which God's Word also defines as the first day of the week.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
WHAT IS THE QUESTION THAT ACTS 15 IS CONSIDERING?

ACTS 15:1:21
[1], And certain men who came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, EXCEPT YOU BE CIRCUMCISED AFTER THE MANNER OF MOSES YOU CANNOT BE SAVED.

NOTE: ACTS 15:1 is the question that needs to be answered and the topic of conversation and CONTEXT of the chapter of ACTS 15. Here we have Jewish believers coming to Paul and Barnabas saying if the new GENTILES believers are not circumcised and made proselytes then they cannot be saved. This is the chapter context and issue of contention.

[2], When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, THEY DETERMINED THAT PAUL AND BARNABAS AND CERTAIN OF THEM SHOULD GO UP TO JERUSALEM UNTO THE APOSLTLES AND ELDERS ABOUT THIS QUESTION.

NOTE: ACTS 15:2 Which question? Weather your salvation depends on being CIRCUMCISED.

They then travelled to Jerusalem about this question to determine if new gentile believers needed to be CIRCUMCISED in order to be saved. Once they got to Jerusalem, the question was then asked and the discussion continued with the Pharisees stating their case first..

[5], But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees who believed, saying, It is needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

NOTE: KEEP in mind here the question was never over if gentile believers should obey God's 10 Commandments but to keep the Shadow laws of Moses, in this case CIRCUMCISION as a means of salvation. CIRCUMCIONS is from the law of MOSES not God’s 10 Commandments written by God on two tables of stone.

[6], And the apostles and elders came together TO CONSIDER THIS MATTER.

NOTE: Again the topic of discussion and chapter CONTEXT that is being considered is the question stated in ACTS 15:1 which was IS CIRCUMCISION A REQUIREMENT OF SALVATION?

[7], And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, you know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

[8], And God, who knows the hearts, bore them witness, giving them the Holy Spirit, even as he did unto us;

NOTE: After much discussion between the Apostles, Peter then rose up showing that God gave the gentile believers the Holy Spirit being UNCIRCUMCISED.

[9], And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

[10], Now therefore why test God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

[11], But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

NOTE: They came to the conclusion then that salvation is not by being circumcised but be what circumcision pointed to. A new heart by faith. This is made plain latter in other scripture written by PAUL here...

ROMANS 2 [25] For circumcision verily profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26], Therefore if the uncircumcision keeps the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27], And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfils the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision do transgress the law? [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW, WHO IS ONE; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OF THE OUTWARD FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; AND CIRCUMCISION IS THAT OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE LETTER; WHOSE PRAISE IS NOT OF MEN BUT OF GOD.

If ACTS 15 was talking about the 10 Commandments then Pauls writings in to the CORINTHIANS do not make any sense.

1 CORITHIANS 7 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

The scripture above is a contradiction of how some interpret the outcome of ACTS 15. You do not believe Dan, that we are now free to break any of God's 10 Commandments now do you?

[12], Then all the multitude kept silence, and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring what miracles and wonders God had done among the Gentiles by them.
[13], And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
[14], Simeon has declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
[15], And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
[16], After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
[17], That the rest of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, says the Lord, who does all these things.
[18], Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

[19], THEREFORE MY JUDGMENT IS THAT WE TROUBLE NOT THEM WHO FROM THE GENTILES ARE TURNED TO GOD:

[20], BUT WRITE UNTO THEM THAT THEY ABSTAIN FROM THE DEFILEMENT OF IDOLS, FORNICATION AND THINGS STRANGLED AND FROM BLOOD.

NOTE: JAMES conclusion is that new Gentile believers should not be troubled with CIRCUMCISION as a requirement of salvation which was the matter being considered and the question being discussion as shown in *ACTS 15:1-2; ACTS 15:6 but asks them to abstain from idols, fornication and from things strangled and from blood.

[21], FOR MOSES OF OLD TIME HAS IN EVERY CITY THEM THAT PREACH HIM, BEING READ IN THE SYNAGOGUES EVERY SABBATH.

NOTE: The reason why JAMES sends this letter to the new Gentile believers is that they would continue learning God's WORD EVERY SABBATH.

……………

CONCLUSION So the conclusion of the matter with CONTEXT added back in is fould in v19-20 We are not to trouble the new gentile believers with CIRCUMCISION as a means of salvation. They are new converts that will learn more about GOD'S WORD when? EVERY SABBATH. In the meantime you should abstain from anything offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication.

NOPE nothing written about the 10 Commandments being abolished in this chapter. Here is what PAUL says of the matter here...

1 CORITHIANS 7 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

ACTS 15 is about “CIRCUMCISION” as a requirement for salvation and is not even considering Gods 10 Commandments. “Circumcision” is one of the shadow laws of the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, nothing found there, but elsewhere we find that indeed the Sabbath was abolished. 2Cor 3:6-11 is the best example along with Col 2:16-17. The Corinthian account says in verse 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

In Colossians 2 we find Paul telling us that the feast Sabbaths new moon Sabbaths and the weekly Sabbath were shadows and Jesus is our reality. Scripture doesn't reveal any other Sabbaths, just the three types. We are not to worship shadows especially when we have the real Rest, Rest in Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, nothing found there, but elsewhere we find that indeed the Sabbath was abolished. 2Cor 3:6-11 is the best example along with Col 2:16-17. The Corinthian account says in verse 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

In Colossians 2 we find Paul telling us that the feast Sabbaths new moon Sabbaths and the weekly Sabbath were shadows and Jesus is our reality. Scripture doesn't reveal any other Sabbaths, just the three types. We are not to worship shadows especially when we have the real Rest, Rest in Jesus.
Colossians 16:17
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

What is the context Paul is referring to? Food, drink, festivals? Are these anywhere in the 10 commandments? He says "sabbaths? plural not THE sabbath from the 4th commandment. Paul is referring the ceremonial sabbath not THE sabbath. Paul and the disciples kept sabbath, using plain common sense why would Paul abolish the 4th commandment and than still keep it like the other disciples and Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

What is the context Paul is referring to? Food, drink, festivals? Are these anywhere in the 10 commandments? He says "sabbaths? plural not THE sabbath from the 4th commandment. Paul is referring the ceremonial sabbath not THE sabbath. Paul and the disciples kept sabbath, using plain common sense why would Paul abolish the 4th commandment and than still keep it like the other disciples and Jesus.
Please enlighten me imge. What were the feasts that were not referred to as Sabbaths? What other Sabbaths are referred to in scripture besides feast Sabbaths, new moon Sabbaths and the weekly Sabbaths? It appears from scripture below other writers referred to the Sabbath in the plural.

Neh 10:33
For the shewbread, and for the continual meat offering, and for the continual burnt offering, of the sabbaths, of the new moons, for the set feasts, and for the holy things, and for the sin offerings to make an atonement for Israel, and for all the work of the house of our God.

EZ 45:17
And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Hosea 2:7
I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts.

Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please enlighten me imge. What were the feasts that were not referred to as Sabbaths? What other Sabbaths are referred to in scripture besides feast Sabbaths, new moon Sabbaths and the weekly Sabbaths? It appears from scripture below other writers referred to the Sabbath in the plural.

Neh 10:33
For the shewbread, and for the continual meat offering, and for the continual burnt offering, of the sabbaths, of the new moons, for the set feasts, and for the holy things, and for the sin offerings to make an atonement for Israel, and for all the work of the house of our God.

EZ 45:17
And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Hosea 2:7
I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts.

The scriptures you quote here Bob are in reference to annual sabbaths in the Feast days and what Paul is quoting from in Colossians 2:16-17. The rest of your post is already answered through the scriptures here and here linked if your interested. May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It`s all recorded in the book of Acts. The church began as a Jewish religeon. The earliest Christians were Jewish and our High Priest is Jewish. They continued to observe the Law of Moses much of which were Laws of the Land.

They have their modern counterpart in the Messianic Jews living in Israel today.

Paul himself maintained the Law because he was a high ranking Jewish Pharisee who made himself subordinate to the Jerusalem church.

Acts even records Paul taking an oath before the church elders that he maintained his own observance of the Law.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures you quote here Bob are in reference to annual sabbaths in the Feast days and what Paul is quoting from in Colossians 2:16-17. The rest of your post is already answered through the scriptures here and here linked if your interested. May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

I just went over your post #9 and still have not concluded the veracity of your conclusions. You listed the eight feast days as Sabbaths, but excused them as not being on the Seventh day. Was there some rule in Torah that would make them inferior because they didn't fall on the Seventh day? They were still days of rest and the law required obedience just like the weekly Sabbath. You mentioned something I have never heard before: "Some try to claim by pulling scripture from context that Paul is teaching in Colossians 2:16-17 that God's 4th commandment is a "shadow law" of the old covenant fulfilled in Christ without considering that there were many different kinds of annual ceremonial "sabbaths" in the old covenant from the Mosaic book of the law that were not God's 4th commandment “seventh day” Sabbath. Some of these annual ceremonial sabbaths that were not God’s 4th commandment and could fall on any day of the week included the ceremonial sabbaths in the feast days and days of holy convocation where no work was to be done."
That whole statement has me wondering where you found the many different Sabbaths besides the feast days and new moon Sabbaths mentioned in Col 2:16. You failed to mention even one of them. If you want to discredit the fact that Paul was referring to the weekly Sabbath in verse 16 then you need to introduce and direct us to the "many different kinds of annual ceremonial "sabbaths". I await your response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I just went over your post #9 and still have not concluded the veracity of your conclusions. You listed the eight feast days as Sabbaths, but excused them as not being on the Seventh day. Was there some rule in Torah that would make them inferior because they didn't fall on the Seventh day? They were still days of rest and the law required obedience just like the weekly Sabbath. You mentioned something I have never heard before: "Some try to claim by pulling scripture from context that Paul is teaching in Colossians 2:16-17 that God's 4th commandment is a "shadow law" of the old covenant fulfilled in Christ without considering that there were many different kinds of annual ceremonial "sabbaths" in the old covenant from the Mosaic book of the law that were not God's 4th commandment “seventh day” Sabbath. Some of these annual ceremonial sabbaths that were not God’s 4th commandment and could fall on any day of the week included the ceremonial sabbaths in the feast days and days of holy convocation where no work was to be done."
That whole statement has me wondering where you found the many different Sabbaths besides the feast days and new moon Sabbaths mentioned in Col 2:16. You failed to mention even one of them. If you want to discredit the fact that Paul was referring to the weekly Sabbath in verse 16 then you need to introduce and direct us to the "many different kinds of annual ceremonial "sabbaths". I await your response.

I thought it was pretty clear Bob, try reading it again. It is the annual feast sabbaths that have been done away not God's 4th commandment which is weekly not annual. God's 4th commandment Sabbath is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken in the new covenant *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7. The rest of your post is already answered through the scriptures. The references to the annual shadow sabbaths and the days of holy convocations can be found here with more reading on the subject here linked. Let me know if you need anything more.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Brother, nothing you have quoted says that we are not Israelites.
Nothing in Scripture says we are. in Acts 15:14 it is said that God chose a people out of the Gentiles, and if you read the whole chapter you will see that they have not become Jewish.

It reminds us that we started out as Gentiles, but we who have "come in" to "all Israel" are now Israelites as revealed in Romans 11:25-31.
Who taught you that Rom 11:25ff makes us into Jews? No, Israel (the part that did not receive Christ) is blind by now, but when the time comes, the cover will be removed from their eyes, they will see and come to the Lord, and whole Israel will be saved. That has nothing to do with us Gentiles.

I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, and in this way all Israel will be saved.

Nothing in the use of "part" in these sentences implies we are this part. You are utterly wrong.

We Gentiles enter salvation, but as a separate people(in James terminology in Acts 15). Jews will have to cope with the question whether the Law, which is not undone by Jesus, has to be kept by them, we Gentiles are not bound to this law, and to burden us with that is no healthy teaching (Gal 2:14-18). We are not part of all Israel which is shown in Rev 7:1-8, we are the multitude out of all tribes, peoples, languages (Rev 7,10ff), and we will (together with all Israel) be his peoples (there is a plural in the Greek in Rev 21:3!).

What you say is close to replacement theology, which deprives the Jews from their inheritance.We have to see the differences between Jews, Non-Jews ("Greeks" in 1.Co 10:32) and the Church.

Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What other commandments is He referring to?
The 614 mitzwot the rabbis have counted in the Pentateuch? The commands of Jesus and His apostles? There are plenty of possibilities, the 10 commandments are only one of many options.

Which option is the correct exegesis, should be judged by the whole body of Scripture, not by a tradition that highlights the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God divorced Israel for spiritual adultery in Jeremiah 3:8 for adultery, which ended their covenant with God - and the Decalogue is called the COVENANT on two tables of stone - thus obviously when the old covenant ended, the ten commands ended.
God did not forsake Israel forever, because he will never repent his callings (Rm 11:29). You can find God re-embracing Israel in Jer 30-31.

God allowed the Jewish temple to be destroyed because the mosaic covenant was no more, and ended the sabbaths:
So you are saying that Esra and Nehemiah were wrong in insisting on keeping the Sabbath. Why, then, are there books part of Scripture?

The old covenant was not undone when the "first" temple (since he was virtually new built under king Joas, it was rather the second temple) was destroyed, it lasted until John the Baptist (Ll 16:16), and in a way it is still valid for Israel, until they receive Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.