Any scriptural evidence that evangelized Gentiles are to keep the Sabbath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You should be careful of the KJV because it’s not a literal word for word translation. It has the translator’s interpretations embedded within the translation. personally I prefer a more literal translation so I can make my own conclusions as to what the message is trying to say.

His grace is sufficient for me.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here in Germany Monday is the first day on calendars (see screenshot above somewhere), which is also suggested by the term "weekend", meaning that Saturday/Sunday are the end (6th and 7th day) of the week.

I did not know that, thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here in Germany Monday is the first day on calendars (see screenshot above somewhere), which is also suggested by the term "weekend", meaning that Saturday/Sunday are the end (6th and 7th day) of the week.

What man changes, does not make it Biblical. If you really care and want to know the history of the seventh day here is some good information:

Which Day of the Week Is The Sabbath? | Sabbath Truth

Since I see you are from Germany maybe this will help:

Samstag (German)
Origin & history
From Middle High German sam(e)ztac‎, from Old High German sambaztag‎, from Gothic *‎, from Byzantine Greek σάμβατον‎ ("sabbath") (compare Old French sambedi‎, Romansch somda‎).
Pronunciation
  • IPA: /ˈzamstʰaːk/ (standard)
  • IPA: /ˈzamstʰax/ (northern and central Germany; chiefly colloquial)
  • IPA: /'samʃtʰaːk/ (south-western Germany and Switzerland; dialect)
  • Pronunciation example: Samstag
Noun
Samstag (masc.)
  1. Saturday
Incidentally, I lived in Germany for a couple years. Beautiful country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What man changes, does not make it Biblical. If you really care and want to know the history of the seventh day here is some good information:

Yes... you posted that before already. And still: God told us to rest on the 7th day, no matter which day we count as "7th". The command to rest on the 7th day does not depend on the calendar we are using. Any day could be the 7th day.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The big problem for you is that your reasoning doesn`t account for the fall of Israel and the delay in the fulfillment of the Prophets.
The fall of Israel was that they didn't keep God's law. If God did not send His son Jesus to save us, all of us would have died because of sin. God tells us if we love Him and keep His commandments we will have the right to the tree of life in the second coming:

Revelations 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes... you posted that before already. And still: God told us to rest on the 7th day, no matter which day we count as "7th". The command to rest on the 7th day does not depend on the calendar we are using. Any day could be the 7th day.
That's not what the Bible says. He clearly says the Seventh-day is the Sabbath.

Exodus 20: 8-11

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

I just showed you in German what that means.

Samstag (German)
Origin & history
From Middle High German sam(e)ztac‎, from Old High German sambaztag‎, from Gothic *‎, from Byzantine Greek σάμβατον‎ ("sabbath") (compare Old French sambedi‎, Romansch somda‎).
Pronunciation
Noun
Samstag (masc.)
  1. Saturday
Usage
Samstag is the only common word for “Saturday” in western Germany, southern Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (in standard usage). See Sonnabend‎ for information on this (declining) synonym.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Since I see you are from Germany maybe this will help:

Samstag (German)
Origin & history
Pronunciation
Noun
Samstag (masc.)
  1. Saturday
Incidentally, I lived in Germany for a couple years. Beautiful country.
“This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised. And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you. And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations, a servant who is born in the house or who is bought with money from any foreigner, who is not of your descendants. A servant who is born in your house or who is bought with your money shall surely be circumcised; thus shall My covenant be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. But an uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant."”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭17:10-14‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath." Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas-Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, and they sent this letter by them, "The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings. "Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. "Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth. "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials: that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell."”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:19-29‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not what the Bible says. He clearly says the Seventh-day is the Sabbath.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

I don't understand your issue with it. God defined the 7th day as Sabbath. As you quoted: "The seventh day is the Sabbath".
Do you speak Hebrew? The Jews call their days like this:
First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Sixth day
Sabbath.

So we could name our days like this:
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sabbath.

It's not about what you name days though, it's all about which day is the seventh.

Now, in the meantime I learned that in America they count Sunday as first day of the week (which is different to my country and everything I've been used to all my life), so I get why my argument does not work for Americans, but since Sunday is the seventh day in my culture and God set seventh day = Sabbath I see no reason to change anything personally.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The fall of Israel was that they didn't keep God's law. If God did not send His son Jesus to save us, all of us would have died because of sin. God tells us if we love Him and keep His commandments we will have the right to the tree of life in the second coming:

Revelations 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

According to Paul Israel fell because of "unbelief " Romans 11.

• Informative
Reactions: helmut
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand your issue with it. God defined the 7th day as Sabbath. As you quoted: "The seventh day is the Sabbath".
First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Sixth day
Sabbath.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sabbath.

It's not about what you name days though, it's all about which day is the seventh.

Now, in the meantime I learned that in America they count Sunday as first day of the week (which is different to my country and everything I've been used to all my life), so I get why my argument does not work for Americans, but since Sunday is the seventh day in my culture and God set seventh day = Sabbath I see no reason to change anything personally.
The issue is you are changing Gods Sabbath. You are also changing the calendars from the beginning of time to suit your own needs. God created and Blessed the Sabbath from creation. He sets the standard not man. If you really want to know the history you would read the link I provided. Man putting Monday as the first day of the week, would make it hard to honor Easter Sunday. (Jesus rose the first day of the week) Now is that going to be Easter Monday? Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.

Genesis 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Sixth day
Sabbath.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sabbath.

Well like I pointed out tho our work week does start on Monday so I think one could argue that we begin our work on Monday and work 6 days and rest on Sunday. God determined the Sabbath for the Jews but I don’t think that meant that the entire world must rest on Saturday. It certainly wasn’t part of the commandment.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath." Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas-Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, and they sent this letter by them, "The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings. "Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. "Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth. "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials: that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell."”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:19-29‬ ‭NASB‬‬

You let the cat out of the bag. I was planning to use this passage later on o_O

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You let the cat out of the bag. I was planning to use this passage later on o_O

My point was that I believe this is the first ecumenical council meeting and the decision to abolish one of God’s commandments had been given by the Holy Spirit. So I wouldn’t say the council abolished the commandment but God Himself. Seeing that the gates of hell will not prevail over Christ’s Church I believe the same could’ve taken place in the early Catholic Church. I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would cease to guide those in the church who’s hearts are set on serving God. In any case I believe Jesus’ emphasis was always towards to purpose of the law not the letter of the law in which the purpose of the Sabbath would be to honor God and I believe that in Christ we have the freedom to honor God on any day. I believe that is the message Paul is giving in Romans 14.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well like I pointed out tho our work week does start on Monday so I think one could argue that we begin our work on Monday and work 6 days and rest on Sunday. God determined the Sabbath for the Jews but I don’t think that meant that the entire world must rest on Saturday. It certainly wasn’t part of the commandment.

Mark 2:27 27 Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Notice it does not say Sabbath was made for Jews, its says man "all".

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My point was that I believe this is the first ecumenical council meeting and the decision to abolish one of God’s commandments had been given by the Holy Spirit. So I wouldn’t say the council abolished the commandment but God Himself. Seeing that the gates of hell will not prevail over Christ’s Church I believe the same could’ve taken place in the early Catholic Church. I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would cease to guide those in the church who’s hearts are set on serving God. In any case I believe Jesus’ emphasis was always towards to purpose of the law not the letter of the law in which the purpose of the Sabbath would be to honor God and I believe that in Christ we have the freedom to honor God on any day. I believe that is the message Paul is giving in Romans 14.

The Jerusalem church in Acts 15 had the authority to set standards for Gentile converts and here the church releases the Gentiles from obligation to the Law of Moses apart from the restrictions that were listed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Mark 2:27 27 Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Notice it does not say Sabbath was made for Jews, its says man "all".

I think the question is did the Holy Spirit abolish the necessity for the Saturday Sabbath and are we taught to live by the letter of the law or the purpose of it?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Jerusalem church in Acts 15 had the authority to set standards for Gentile converts and here the church releases the Gentiles from obligation to the Law of Moses apart from the restrictions that were listed.

Well I would maintain that not all of the law was abolished. The gentiles were still expected not to kill one another or commit adultery or sexual immorality and keep a number of other commandments.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I also believe that the ecumenical council retained this ability to receive advice from the Holy Spirit and convey it to the church.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think the question is did the Holy Spirit abolish the necessity for the Saturday Sabbath and are we taught to live by the letter of the law or the purpose of it?
The Holy Spirit never goes against God. God provides the Holy Spirit to help us keeps Gods laws. John 14 15:17
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

We should keep the spirit of the law but not the letter. | Sabbath Truth

If we are not obliged to do what the law literally requires, then may we literally kill, steal, and commit adultery? This cannot be the meaning of Paul's frequent allusions to the letter and the spirit. The form and spirit of the law uphold each other. We cannot break the law literally without breaking it spiritually.

The religion of the Jews in the days of Christ and the apostles had become formal and selfish. They did their good works to be seen of men, not because they loved God and their neighbor. They condemned the open violator of the law, while they did worse than he did. They strictly kept up certain popular forms of obedience to the letter of the law, such as circumcision, but Paul wrote that they were actually transgressing the law (Romans 2:27–29).

Through their traditions, they were very strict in making the Sabbath a rest day for animals, but they neglected to spend it in the nobler work of our Creator—that is, by being a blessing to their fellow man. They commanded people not to steal, yet they didn’t think twice about robbing people in business deals with Gentiles, dragging God’s name through the mud in the process.

Likewise, today some are very strict in keeping up certain popular forms of religion, while breaking God's commandments. Many would never steal their neighbor's car, and they are very strict in enforcing the letter of the law on thieves; yet they will do much worse in taking advantage of their neighbor in a business deal. They do not fulfill "the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’ ” (James 2:8) because they are “keeping” the law for selfish reasons—to avoid losing their reputation or for fear of recrimination.

Heartfelt Sabbath keeping cures this selfish religion. It helps us obey the spirit of the law, for there is no way to keep the heart of the Sabbath only because it is popular, or for outward show, or for selfish advantage over others. The only way to keep it with the heart is out of unselfish love and respect for God’s creative and redemptive power.

Are we required to keep the spirit of the law but not the letter? Consider a sentence you may find in an elementary school textbook: ‘Jane kicked the ball with all her might.’ ‘With all her might’ tells how Jane kicked the ball. Could she kick the ball with all her might without kicking the ball? The spirit of the law tells how we keep the law. Can we keep the spirit of the law without keeping its letter?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

They told gentiles to begin with observing the Noahide laws and they would learn the rest in the synagogues every Sabbath...that is what the text says.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.