Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
They depend on your likes. I like the outdoors when I get the chance. Else, it's baseball, movies (sci-fi like Star Trek), and comedies (Boss Baby on Netflix). Try your hand at some local charities as well. Peace in Christ:).

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Learning to play any instrument you can use to jam with other people is one of the most fun things I've ever done. It's something that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
IMG_20171226_131003.jpg
IMG_20171226_131247.jpg

Hiking:).

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I'm trying this new thing where I plan out fun activities I can do for each day of the month. Like specific movies to watch, or crafts, or new hobbies to try. Anyone have any ideas?
whatever you do comes at the expense of whatever else you could be doing. So if you want to do something fun think about some goals you might have. If you watch a movie a day I frankly think that is wasting your time and rotting your brain and at the end of the month you will have nothing to show for it. You could in the same amount of time learn to play guitar or a something else well enough or you could look up videos on how to work on your own car. You could buy some wood working tool and with free scrap wood of craigslist begin to make something. You could learn to speak another language. You could enroll in on line classes for Bible study or any other area you want to improve in. Develop some skills that will bless others. Invest in who you are becoming and do not wast your time with video games and media. Get a balance between your free time where you relax and do fun things for yourself and using your time equipping yourself for the rest of your life.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything that lets you chat with other people.

You can check your local community colleges, parks and recreation, sports centers, and any other organizations that have events and classes (there's one here for seniors, and presumably multiple for kids). Around here they even mail out catalogs of what they are offering for the next several months.

I took a pottery class a while back, although it didn't turn out to be that great for socializing. It was a little weird because it was so far from the kind of things I normal do, but it ended up being very enjoyable. (I'm a creative sort.) I even found a practical use for what I learned, although I didn't follow through on it. (Good clay is cheap, but private kiln firing is rather expensive due to the electrical cost.) Even now years later I wish I had cheaper access to making pottery. You can make "designer" wall tiles along with the normal decorative pots/bowls and dinnerware. There's all sorts of stylistic approaches and colors to try (in a pottery-making venue stocked with lots of colors), and the colors are marked if they are food-safe. It didn't really take that long to be able to make items that were nice enough for presentation (in one's home, for example) or for gifts.

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
whatever you do comes at the expense of whatever else you could be doing. So if you want to do something fun think about some goals you might have. If you watch a movie a day I frankly think that is wasting your time and rotting your brain and at the end of the month you will have nothing to show for it. You could in the same amount of time learn to play guitar or a something else well enough or you could look up videos on how to work on your own car. You could buy some wood working tool and with free scrap wood of craigslist begin to make something. You could learn to speak another language. You could enroll in on line classes for Bible study or any other area you want to improve in. Develop some skills that will bless others. Invest in who you are becoming and do not wast your time with video games and media. Get a balance between your free time where you relax and do fun things for yourself and using your time equipping yourself for the rest of your life.

I understand where you're coming from, however I have a chronic illness that significantly limits the amount and type of activities I can engage in. I used to love learning languages and teaching others, but I no longer have the energy or mental ability to do that. There is almost nothing particularly productive I can do, so I'm having to learn that I need to simply take care of myself and do what I can. One of the recommendations for people with my condition is to engage in pleasant activities in order to reduce stress and have better coping, so that's what I'm trying to do. So far watching movies is one of the few things I've found that I am able to do. So while it may be a 'waste of time' for some, it's been a blessing for me.

I'm hoping I can find other things I can do as well, because I do get tired of watching movies. For example, I thought of horseback riding, which I might like to try. It's not too physically strenuous, but at the same time it does build core muscle, so that might be good for me. And I hear there are therapeutic benefits to horse riding as well.

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with a lot of the posts here and thank you @mukk_in for the beautiful photos.
I would also suggest you do something that really stretches you, maybe even something that scares the daylights out of you. Like playing music in a church if you never have before. Or, you could volunteer at a place that serves the homeless and desperate people in your community. You could witness to strangers in a loving and gentle way. Sometimes I just ask people if they would like prayer for something. You will probably get some rejection and things might get uncomfortable but that is okay. Sometimes I grow the most when I am in awkward situations.
Do you like experiencing the presence of God? It is great when we worship Him and that happens but for me the best way to experience His love is to do something for Him that is scary and pushes my boundaries. I recommend you do these types of things with at least one other person. It is a lot better for me that way.
Whatever you do, have fun and give thanks to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could buy and make a model ship? That's just something I got interested in as I have volunteered on a steam ship. I ended up looking at model ships also as I want to be a joiner. If this interests you, look at entry-level model ship kits online for info.

Might not be very interesting to most people though. Some other thoughts:
  • archery
  • draw/learn to draw
  • improve your handwriting
  • get into woodcarving or woodburning or both
  • learn computer programming of some sort
  • Woodworking? Although this can be expensive and physical work
I read you have an illness so sorry if my suggestions are unworkable.

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand where you're coming from, however I have a chronic illness that significantly limits the amount and type of activities I can engage in. I used to love learning languages and teaching others, but I no longer have the energy or mental ability to do that. There is almost nothing particularly productive I can do, so I'm having to learn that I need to simply take care of myself and do what I can. One of the recommendations for people with my condition is to engage in pleasant activities in order to reduce stress and have better coping, so that's what I'm trying to do. So far watching movies is one of the few things I've found that I am able to do. So while it may be a 'waste of time' for some, it's been a blessing for me.

I'm hoping I can find other things I can do as well, because I do get tired of watching movies. For example, I thought of horseback riding, which I might like to try. It's not too physically strenuous, but at the same time it does build core muscle, so that might be good for me. And I hear there are therapeutic benefits to horse riding as well.
Just read this post. Sometimes it is okay to just stay in the loving embrace of our Father. Does that make sense? He loves you and wants to comfort you. If you trust Him and keep living a life of gratitude like you already are He will bring opportunities to you that you can handle.
Praying for your healing and that you would fall more in love with our Father God every day.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Invest in who you are becoming and do not wast your time with video games and media. Get a balance between your free time where you relax and do fun things for yourself and using your time equipping yourself for the rest of your life.

I used a similar approach that has yielded much fruit. I created a lifestyle that supported my calling and future spouse when I'm married. I have the benefit of time and I've used it develop my skills, learn new subjects, and improve areas of challenge too. The pursuit of personal growth has widened my opportunities and exchanges I can have with others. I'm sharing the gospel through my person and that's the experience they'll remember most.

• Winner
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0