Any Book Readers ...

skyblue

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do any of you have favorite literature books that you've read aloud to your kids or that your kids enjoy (any age level)?

One that I found in Honey for a Child's Heart that my youngest daughter delighted in was There's an Alligator Under my Bed because after we read it to her, she was able to remember the story line and "read" it to us. It was a cute story, too.

But I'm interested in any age level ... just what your family has enjoyed that you'd like to share.

ChristianMama84

Hey, y'all!
Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
Northwest Alabama
✟53,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got some Bible stories at the dollar store and Disney storybooks, we're starting with those since he's so little. Also, the church we're going to start going to has a program with books and such we may buy as well. They're for birth through 12 months old, which is cool. :) Later we may add more educational stuff, but for now we enjoy teaching him about Jesus and working on his creativity. :thumbsup: I love how at six weeks old :)eek: My baby's 6 weeks old!!) he already enjoys being read to and looks at the pictures.

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our favorites right now are The Little Caterpiller and the original The Little Engine that Could ... my son wanders the house playing with toys acting out the different books we read "Our engine has broken down, please help us!" ;)

I have picked out some special books for his 3rd birthday next month :)

Upvote 0

skyblue

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got some Bible stories at the dollar store and Disney storybooks, we're starting with those since he's so little. Also, the church we're going to start going to has a program with books and such we may buy as well. They're for birth through 12 months old, which is cool. :) Later we may add more educational stuff, but for now we enjoy teaching him about Jesus and working on his creativity. :thumbsup: I love how at six weeks old :)eek: My baby's 6 weeks old!!) he already enjoys being read to and looks at the pictures.
Have you seen the Little Blessings books by Kathleen Long Bostrom? They teach Bible truths in rhyme and are very sweetly illustrated (by Elena Kucharik). I love those books and have given them as shower gifts.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like my kids are a bit older (they're 6 and 8), but we read LOTS of books outloud together as a family. Every time we're driving in the car together (on trips over 15 minutes) we're usually reading to each other.

My girls LOVE the Spiderwick Chronicles. We've also read all the Harry Potter series as a family...well, all but the last 2...they're just way too violent for little ones (but I and my hubby enjoyed them immensely). The Wrinkle in Time series is wonderful. Along with classics like The Little White Horse, Beauty and the Beast (not the Disney version), the Boxcar Children series, Magic Treehouse series, etc.

They still like Dr. Suess and other fun stuff like that, too.

Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

So many books to choose from, so little time!

For younger ones Where the Wild Things Are, Dreadful David, Goodnight Owl.

For slightly older children all the Milly~Molly~Mandy books. Even my boys liked these. They are a little old~fashioned but about simple, everyday things children know about.

When they were bigger again all the Narnia books, some of the Harry Potter books & The Hobbit.

I'm a fairly chronic read~alouder. Even when my older ones were in high school I was reading them God's Smuggler.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So many books to choose from, so little time!

For younger ones Where the Wild Things Are, Dreadful David, Goodnight Owl.

For slightly older children all the Milly~Molly~Mandy books. Even my boys liked these. They are a little old~fashioned but about simple, everyday things children know about.

When they were bigger again all the Narnia books, some of the Harry Potter books & The Hobbit.

I'm a fairly chronic read~alouder. Even when my older ones were in high school I was reading them God's Smuggler.
I forgot about Narnia...we all loved those.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

micbmac

Veteran
Apr 25, 2007
Texas
✟9,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I got a fabulous childrens bible from the dollar store. Great pictures and everything. I like to read them a story out of that each night. And they ask a lot of questions which is good. We go to the library often. I have tried hard to teach my kids to love books as much as I do. I think I have succeded for the most part. I'm just trying to get my 11 year old to quit reading nothing but graphic novels.

Upvote 0

ChristianMama84

Hey, y'all!
Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
Northwest Alabama
✟53,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you seen the Little Blessings books by Kathleen Long Bostrom? They teach Bible truths in rhyme and are very sweetly illustrated (by Elena Kucharik). I love those books and have given them as shower gifts.
I haven't, but will definately look for them!

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^_^ We are huuuuuge readers, and our children are turning out that way too. Apart from children's bible stores, or parts from the actual bible (they can start to understand from about 5yo):

Dr Seuss
Enid Blyton (starting with the Wishing Chair series, and the Magic Faraway Tree series)
Narnia
The Hobbit
Fairy Tales (get proper versions, not Disney 'take out all the scary bits' versions)
We've just started on the first Harry Potter.

Australian classics like:
The Magic Pudding
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Seven Little Australians
Blinkie Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

CelticRose

^_^ We are huuuuuge readers, and our children are turning out that way too. Apart from children's bible stores, or parts from the actual bible (they can start to understand from about 5yo):

Dr Seuss
Enid Blyton (starting with the Wishing Chair series, and the Magic Faraway Tree series)
Narnia
The Hobbit
Fairy Tales (get proper versions, not Disney 'take out all the scary bits' versions)
We've just started on the first Harry Potter.

Australian classics like:
The Magic Pudding
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Seven Little Australians
Blinkie Bill
Do you do the Billabong books as well? They're great but I don't think you'd get them outside Oz.

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We love to read!

DH loved the Dr. Suess books as a little kid, but I gave most of them away as he outgrew them. Now we have a toddler again and had to get replacements!

Dr. Suess and P.D. Eastman are always big hits
Maurice Sendak is terrific and fun to get animated with
The Olivia books are good,
For a bit older, Little House on the Prarie and Loves Enduring Promises are great read aloud stories.
DH is now 14 and reads voraciously, he of course read all the Harry Potters and we have spent hours discussing them, the Left Behind for teens were good and Josh McDowell offers some great devotions for teens.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Not sure if I'd call it literature, but DD has a preference for Dr. Seuss and Robert Munsch books. But she's only 4 right now.

The biggest book that we've read is Charlotte's Web. And that's only because the movie was out at the time. I really never saw what all the hype was about that book... not even as a kid myself.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With ds (5) we read Dr Seuss and he is reading his own books, just learned to read this year, so he reads those ones to me, and I read one he picks back to him. We have also read the Winnie the pooh books (not the Disney ones, the original ones) and I like them (well we both do) but I like them because they are innocent and sweet and CLEAN, and I think they teach values like friendship and helping others etc.

Also he likes Hairy McClarey books by Lynley Dodd. They are fun too, and even dd (2 likes them)

Dd's favourite book at the moment is called one duck stuck.

Upvote 0