Any bird owners/lovers here?

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious to know what bird species live(s) with you, or that you would love to have live with you, if you could.

I'd lived with birds for 20 years. During those years, I had 2 Budgies (at the same time), 2 Cockatiels (at different times), 1 African Grey (at the same time as my first Cockatiel) and 1 Maximilian Pionus (at the same time as my second Cockatiel).

Two of my birds passed away from age-/health-related causes; one from an accident (caused by my mom's oversight); and three of them were rehomed. I realize that rehoming sounds insensitive, but I assure you, there were sound reasons at the time for doing so. (It was not because I'd become bored with them, in other words.)

SS

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm curious to know what bird species live(s) with you, or that you would love to have live with you, if you could.

I'd lived with birds for 20 years. During those years, I had 2 Budgies (at the same time), 2 Cockatiels (at different times), 1 African Grey (at the same time as my first Cockatiel) and 1 Maximilian Pionus (at the same time as my second Cockatiel).

Two of my birds passed away from age-/health-related causes; one from an accident (caused by my mom's oversight); and three of them were rehomed. I realize that rehoming sounds insensitive, but I assure you, there were sound reasons at the time for doing so. (It was not because I'd become bored with them, in other words.)

SS
We have had as many as 6 Cockatiels, but now we are down to two couples. the males talk and the females make loud noises. I think we have had male 16 years and he was given to us by a person who had him several years before we got. Jack and Rose Mattie and mercy are two couples. They eat 1 and 1/3 big Plastic huge food for Cockatiels a month. Sometimes when we are on the phone people say oh you have birds. So they can get loud at times. When I shut off the light at night they really fuss that they do not like the light off.

how long have these birds owned you?

I think it is so special to be with the blessings of Gods creations, especially in our home.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
They eat 1 and 1/3 big Plastic huge food for Cockatiels a month.

I don't understand what you mean. Did you intend to type that they eat 1-1/3 bags' worth of food in a month?

Sometimes when we are on the phone people say oh you have birds. So they can get loud at times.

The Cockatiel's call is designed to carry over several miles in the Australian wild, which is why their call is so piercing indoors. :)

When I shut off the light at night they really fuss that they do not like the light off.

Do you have a nightlight for them? If not, please use one in their room; Cockatiels are known for having "night frights," which you likely have witnessed in your years of living with them. Having a nightlight reduces the likelihood of them injuring themselves during a "night fright" episode.

how long have these birds owned you?

I do not have any birds at this time. The longest that a bird was with me--until his untimely passing--was 9 years.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have never had a bird as a pet before but I do like them and my cousins have had them as pets. We watched them once when they went away. I love watching wild birds outside though.

I, too, enjoy watching birds, both caged and wild.

There are a number of web cams you can view to see birds. One of my favorites is this one, though it's been out of commission for a while and only playing highlights (no one knows why): http://www.apl.tv/bird.htm. The APL site also has a penguin cam, if you enjoy watching penguins. But I find the African Watering Hole cam very fascinating, as you can see wild birds on it--as well as hippos, giraffes, elephants, etc. :)

Upvote 0

SloriB

Pet lover and empathetic intellectual
Feb 18, 2016
Adelaide
Visit site
✟15,370.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I had a cockatiel, but she was very anti-human when I got her. Instead of causing her constant distress in the household, I arranged for her to live with my grandmother's birds, where there is little human interaction. The decision was very difficult, but having a bird on the continual defence is not good for them. I believe I made the right choice for her.

But I was disappointed it didn't work out. I really wanted to teach her tricks or see if she'd learn to talk. When I got her, I was told she was male, and I read that males were more likely to talk. So my wish will always be to have a bird that would talk.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I had a cockatiel, but she was very anti-human when I got her. Instead of causing her constant distress in the household, I arranged for her to live with my grandmother's birds, where there is little human interaction. The decision was very difficult, but having a bird on the continual defence is not good for them. I believe I made the right choice for her.

With a lot of patience and eventual, gentle training, it's possible that she'd have come around. But it does take a decent amount of work to convince fearful birds to trust humans.

But I was disappointed it didn't work out. I really wanted to teach her tricks or see if she'd learn to talk. When I got her, I was told she was male, and I read that males were more likely to talk. So my wish will always be to have a bird that would talk.

'Tiels aren't known for their trick ability, though I'm sure they can learn some easier ones. (My former guy learned to associate the statement, "Get the ring," to mean that he could pull my loosened ring off of my vertically-raised finger. He found it a fun challenge.)

Also, 'tiels aren't good talkers. True, some males do talk, but their speech isn't very clear. That species is better known for its whistling ability, which is pretty impressive. (Do a YouTube search on "whistling cockatiel" to see what I mean.)

But one should never get a bird due to the expectation that it will talk; some birds--even those of a notoriously chatty species--never talk. You gotta be prepared to love them for who they are. :)

Upvote 0

SloriB

Feb 18, 2016
Adelaide
Visit site
✟15,370.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I was a great deal younger then, and was a little naiive about birds. These days I know a great deal more. Having her talk wasn't a huge issue, but it was how I chose what gender to buy.

I did realise she could come around with care and training, but I had to weigh things up. Our household was very noisy and I didn't know if it was fair to put a bird through constant fear while gaining her trust again, when I knew my grandmother's huge aviary with canaries would bring instant relief. Putting her through all the stress seemed selfish when I knew she had a forever home that would be more suitable. I wasn't sure the extent of her previous mistreatment, or how serious her stress responses would become. She would sit in the corner of the cage and hiss, constantly defensive and over-alert, with very few moments of relaxation. I dearly wanted her to understand that I didn't want to hurt her, but she wasn't budging an inch.

Fortunately, my grandmother loved her so much, she didn't end up staying with the canaries. A few weeks later, my gran bought her baby cockatiel companions and they all got along very well. They were built a paradise of an aviary and my bird was very soon among her feathery family -- relaxed!

Over the years, I've been told that she even learnt to fly properly, by mimicking the other 'tiels as they practiced too. She's still alive and well today, eating her food and living a happy lifestyle with her friends. Finally, after 10 years, she landed on my grandmother once, which was amazing because most of the time she hides in the corner of the aviary when food bowls and supplies are being cleaned and replaced. It brings a tear to my eye knowing that she got her perfect life, and a little disappointed that I couldn't give it to her. But I'd rather her happy.

Bless God's creatures.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I did realise she could come around with care and training, but I had to weigh things up. Our household was very noisy and I didn't know if it was fair to put a bird through constant fear while gaining her trust again, when I knew my grandmother's huge aviary with canaries would bring instant relief. Putting her through all the stress seemed selfish when I knew she had a forever home that would be more suitable. I wasn't sure the extent of her previous mistreatment, or how serious her stress responses would become. She would sit in the corner of the cage and hiss, constantly defensive and over-alert, with very few moments of relaxation. I dearly wanted her to understand that I didn't want to hurt her, but she wasn't budging an inch.

You make a very valid point in terms of having a noisy household; it's true that a high-strung, defensive-feeling bird would have more trouble adjusting to people in such an environment. I agree that you did the right thing in rehoming her, so that she could be in an aviary setting--a win-win situation. :)

Finally, after 10 years, she landed on my grandmother once, which was amazing because most of the time she hides in the corner of the aviary when food bowls and supplies are being cleaned and replaced. It brings a tear to my eye knowing that she got her perfect life, and a little disappointed that I couldn't give it to her. But I'd rather her happy.

She was very lucky to have you--someone who cared more about her happiness and well-being, rather than your own desires. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

SloriB

Feb 18, 2016
Adelaide
Visit site
✟15,370.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Over the years I did question my decision, but yes, I believe it was the right one. Of course, I would have chosen differently if I'd not had an appropriate home for her. I wouldn't have given her to strangers, who might have thrown her in a tiny cage somewhere. She wanted freedom.

Also, my grandfather passed away 2 years ago, so my grandmother really appreciates having her pets even more now. Her (and my) cockatiels keep her company, as does her Cocker Spaniel. It made me relieved she had that comfort because other than needing a walker, she is very healthy in her 90s. She's be very lonely without them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
As a child I had parakeets who were taught how to talk human by my dad.
As a bird freak, an affliction which is which is probably hereditary [my dad was one], I naturally participated in feeding outside birds and providing nesting boxes for cavity nesters.
Much later, while I was raising a family of my own, I joined other bird freaks in a wildlife rehabilitation organization where I wound up for many years caring for severely ill and injured birds and for reject species.
Always gravitating to the under"dog", just as I do with humans.

Forward another bunch of years :
Family grown and gone, living by myself, one day I spotted a small rooster standing underneath my living room window in the middle of a blizzard.
Long story short, I took him in and cared for him, since he was in very poor shape and apparently had no place to go.
Escaped from an abusive situation?
He was missing all primary feathers and lots of other feathers too, and he had a large, bleeding wound on his back.
He became the most wonderful companion for me.
Unfortunately, he lived only for 2 1/2 more years - I think he was an old man. But I will go where he went, into the presence of Creator [yeah, I know, I am a heretic *snark*].

The birds I was closest to in previous years were crows, the big black ones and the black and white ones and the multicolored ones. All of them.

Chickens are a new experience, I had no idea how wonderful they are.
I am preparing for three or four reject chickens from some neighbors - a cockerel and some hens who no longer lay eggs.
I LOVE roosters and the ladies will be just fine with me. I love them for themselves [made by our awesome Creator], not for what I can get out of them [eggs].

nota

• Agree
Reactions: Anneka
Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
...One day I spotted a small rooster standing underneath my living room window in the middle of a blizzard.
Long story short, I took him in and cared for him, since he was in very poor shape and apparently had no place to go.
Escaped from an abusive situation?
He was missing all primary feathers and lots of other feathers too, and he had a large, bleeding wound on his back.
He became the most wonderful companion for me.
Unfortunately, he lived only for 2 1/2 more years - I think he was an old man. But I will go where he went, into the presence of Creator [yeah, I know, I am a heretic *snark*].

Not a heretical view, IMO. I fully believe that all of our beloved animal companions will be with us "on the other side."

The birds I was closest to in previous years were crows, the big black ones and the black and white ones and the multicolored ones. All of them.

If you've not heard about this bird's/family's story, you might really enjoy and appreciate it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/penguin-magpie-instagram_n_6897762.html. (If you Google "Magpie Australian family," you'll find many sources on--and, thus, a wider variety of photos of--this sweet bird. I just found this one, which also has several fun videos: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/penguin-the-magpie-finds-home-with-bloom-family/6292106.)

Chickens are a new experience, I had no idea how wonderful they are.
I am preparing for three or four reject chickens from some neighbors - a cockerel and some hens who no longer lay eggs.
I LOVE roosters and the ladies will be just fine with me. I love them for themselves [made by our awesome Creator], not for what I can get out of them [eggs].

I've read that they make wonderful companions and have watched several impressive videos of the sweetness of chickens. I'd have one, if I could.

Will your adopted brood spend some of its time indoors with you? Or do you have an outdoor setup up where they'll live full-time?

Upvote 0

SloriB

Feb 18, 2016
Adelaide
Visit site
✟15,370.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I was reading this gorgeous true story the other day that I wanted to share to warm the hearts of the bird lovers here.

It all started when this woman's children found a tiny baby bird that had been left on the local park's ice field. They picked it up, and adopted it, and called it Pidgey. As Pidgey grew into a beautiful pigeon they noticed that she wanted to be out of the cage more, and their mother, Adele, decided to give her a chance to adjust. She created an outside home for Pidgey by attaching a bird cage to the top of the swing set and would put food in it each day. The bird would eat in the cage, but spend much of the day flying.

Then one day a flock came along, while flying south for winter. Pidgey interacted with them, between landing on Adele's shoulder to get some attention. A few days later, the flock took flight to continue their journey and Pidgey went too. The daughters were sad that Pidgey had left, but they understood Adele was right to give her freedom.

A year later, birds flew south for the winter again, but there was joy, when one of the pigeons landed on Adele, as Pidgey did, and the family instantly knew she had come to visit. Some of her flock wandered close too, trusting Pidgey's judgment. Of course the wild bird is never tamed in its heart, so it was a brief visit of a few days before the flock went on their journey with their Pidgey. And each year, the birds would visit, Pidgey confidently landing on Adele's head, taking out the food from the little bird cage left on the swing set.

Then, one year, she didn't arrive. Adele wondered if she had grown old or hurt, and worried where their little bird was. Four years later, the familiar wings came back, as did her flock. And every so often the flock does visit Adele and her family, but they fly free, but always remember the kind hand that raised her and saved her.

This story brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me of so many instances in the world where love isn't freedom. If you have someone in your life who gives you your space, nourishment and joys, particularly if they are your pets, give them a good snuggle, and always remember, love is more special when it's given without expectation.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I used to have a Cockatiel about 20 years ago. You can read all the books in the world about birds but until you live with one, its just not the same.
I was amazed at how nimble they are in the air.. My bird was free in the home at all times when I was home.. Only when I left did it go back to the cage.
If you put a bowl of popcorn out, the bird would grab one piece, walk to the edge of the table and drop it on the floor.. go back, grab another piece, walk to the edge and drop it. That bird would do that until the bowl was empty..

If you were a bug crawling around the house, your life was in danger. And whenever I watched TV, she's be right on my shoulder nuzzled up against the back of my ear lobe.

Birds are so cool.. But I don't think I'll ever have another one.. they really need to fly in open area's.. They were born to fly and the confines of a home is just not enough..

• Agree
Reactions: Anneka
Upvote 0

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your friendly response, soma seer.
For your links too although my dinosaur dial-up connection won`t let me access them. It is a challenge in itself to get into these forums, doesn`t happen every time I try.

In my several decades in churches I found most Christians [evangelical-fundies at least] believe that animals are not sentient, have no feelings, are just "so much dead meat" going into a hole in the ground [unless eaten by humans].
THAT notion is partially why I have gotten labeled a heretic. I have other heretical views.

To your question:
While my rooster companion who has crossed over cooped with me inside and spent his days outside in a safe enclosure, my new companions will probably live outside. It depends on their choice and preference.
I just spent two months doubling the size of the old enclosure, complete with a netting covering the entire top of it.
Inside of the enclosure/run sits their small coop with it`s own attached mini-run. About half of the enclosure is shaded by dense cedar trees.

My new companions arrived last Saturday, the cockerel with two old ladies.
Another hen will join them shortly.
The cockerel announced their coming as he boisterously crowed from inside a dog crate on the truck bed of the truck my neighbor was driving the birds in up to my place.
The little chickens are still a bit shy but love their new surroundings.
Their enclosure and coop are attached to my old trailer, so I can watch them and hear them when inside.
I love all my birds up close and personal, and the cockerel is crowing on and off all day, beginning inside the coop around 4am.
It is WONDERFUL, just as I hoped for.
The 60 neighborhood turkeys who come within a mere two feet of me, now stand right by the enclosure`s fence, where they and the chickens curiously stare at each other.

Forward to day five, yesterday, of my precious new chicken companions:
They have begun eating out of my hands! Yes!!!

nota

P.S.my human neighbors have always kept non-laying hens along with the laying ones, and all their birds have names....in other words, the human neighbors don`t belong to the animals-are-only-good-for-serving-humans crowd.
Their chickens are a most special gift to me!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My niece had a parakeet when she was a little girl. The only thing they ever taught the bird to say was GO ASTROS! very loud. They lived in Houston Tx so it was very funny. Cracked me up. Anytime anyone new walked in the room, it was GO ASTROS!
My niece continued her love of birds. She is now all grown up and has several beautiful chickens and they are free range on her property. The birds have a lovely home that looks like a doll house!
And it all started with one little parakeet named BIRD.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your friendly response, soma seer.
For your links too although my dinosaur dial-up connection won`t let me access them. It is a challenge in itself to get into these forums, doesn`t happen every time I try.

That's too bad; you'd get a kick out of that lovely Magpie, Penguin. But I understand the pain of dial-up, as I've dealt with it in the past and, so, understand your frustration.

In my several decades in churches I found most Christians [evangelical-fundies at least] believe that animals are not sentient, have no feelings, are just "so much dead meat" going into a hole in the ground [unless eaten by humans].
THAT notion is partially why I have gotten labeled a heretic. I have other heretical views.

"So much dead meat..." *shiver* I don't see how anyone can fail to either connect with or at least be in awe of animals.

I love all my birds up close and personal, and the cockerel is crowing on and off all day, beginning inside the coop around 4am. It is WONDERFUL, just as I hoped for.

You're braver than I; I couldn't deal with a cokerel crowing at 4 am. (Actually, my neighbors couldn't/wouldn't, either. ;)) But I think it's wonderful that you can and have accepted those birds onto your property in order to give them a good home.

The 60 neighborhood turkeys who come within a mere two feet of me, now stand right by the enclosure`s fence, where they and the chickens curiously stare at each other.

:D :D :D

Forward to day five, yesterday, of my precious new chicken companions: They have begun eating out of my hands! Yes!!!

That's really good success, considering the timing. Clearly, they're feeling more secure about and with you.

P.S.my human neighbors have always kept non-laying hens along with the laying ones, and all their birds have names....in other words, the human neighbors don`t belong to the animals-are-only-good-for-serving-humans crowd.
Their chickens are a most special gift to me!

If I had a farm, every creature on it would have a name and would know that when I address him/her, that I love him/her. And that is why I don't have a farm; I couldn't part with anyone in terms of selling them for meat. I'd be a hobby farmer, at best. My husband said no to the idea, seeing as we're in the 'burbs of large city. But maybe someday... :D

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My niece had a parakeet when she was a little girl. The only thing they ever taught the bird to say was GO ASTROS! very loud. They lived in Houston Tx so it was very funny. Cracked me up. Anytime anyone new walked in the room, it was GO ASTROS!

Love it!

My niece continued her love of birds. She is now all grown up and has several beautiful chickens and they are free range on her property. The birds have a lovely home that looks like a doll house!
And it all started with one little parakeet named BIRD.

I really like the idea of chickens having a home that looks like a doll house. (If you can, post pics! :) I'd love to see it, as well as the chickens around/in it.)

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Love it!

I really like the idea of chickens having a home that looks like a doll house. (If you can, post pics! :) I'd love to see it, as well as the chickens around/in it.)
I will see if she can send me some pics of both the house and the chickens. Will let you know if I can.

Upvote 0