Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm having trouble sleeping. I threw off my "internal clock" for a few weeks, something I now regret, so know I'm trying to resore it.

The problem is that I'm so anxious to get to sleep early, that I can't get to sleep at all, even if I am tired. Sometimes I get no sleep during the night and can't sleep until the early morning after the sun has already come out.

Are there any non-medicinal ways to deal with this?

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How about slowly moving up back your sleep time. If you're drinking or eating any caffeine during the day, stop doing that. Try to cut back on the refined sugars. Incorporate some exercise into your day -- at least several hrs before bed and not too close to bedtime. I've found for me if I exercise too close to bedtime, I get energized am not sleepy. Could also take a warm bath.

Stop focusing or worrying about getting to bed. That could also be a part of your problem. Try to clear your mind with soothing music. Read something that can help you get to sleep.

Some say drink some warm milk (but I don't like milk).

Hope you get back to sleeping early.

Upvote 0

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Melatonin helps you re-set your body clock. I might also recommend having turkey for dinner, as that is a sleep-inducing food. Take a warm bath or shower before you go to sleep, and, if you find yourself restless, read a book until you feel tired, as long as it is a book that soothes your spirit! Good luck!

Upvote 0

dews

Nov 4, 2004
✟913.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have a glass of red wine with a sugar rating of 0 (oh, you may be too young for that).
When I was younger and couldn't sleep, I used to put my head at the foot end of the bed and sleep that way for a few nights. After a few nights, I would return to having my head at the head of the bed and I could sleep well again.
Pray. Nothing helps me feel better and sleep well than praying.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
growingupinhim said:
valieran root
chammionelle tea

best is dont lay there for more the 30 mins.get up and move about..pray read the word..try again.
Yes, this is good advice, I even gow Valerian Root! I buy the capsules though cause preparing the root is real stinky :eek: .......... :sick:

Upvote 0

FoundInJesus

Aug 1, 2005
✟7,795.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would recommend going to sleep at around the same time each night. A warm bath or shower beforehand is always good. Try doing something that will relax you before you go to sleep...play music, pray, read the Bible, lay in the floor and concentrate on relaxing if you have to. Make sure that while you're in bed, you cannot see your clock and have no way of checking the time. People who suffer from sleep disorders tend to look at the time as a habit and it keeps them up. As long as you keep this up, your sleep pattern should return to normal. Also, make sure you wake up at the same time in the morning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums