Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
I think the main problem is that most believe that Calvinists are heretic radicals. I remind myself of this false analogy: "Just as I wouldn't take anything Al Sharpton says with a grain of salt, their presuppositions disable them from thinking differently about [Calvinists]."

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
eutychus said:
I think the main problem is that most believe that Calvinists are heretic radicals. I remind myself of this false analogy: "Just as I wouldn't take anything Al Sharpton says with a grain of salt, their presuppositions disable them from thinking differently about [Calvinists]."
Amen! Nicely said!:clap:

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree. Many do not like Calvinism because it violates the traditions they were brought up on (as I did me when I first looked into Calvinism). People are raised to believe in free will, man's ability to come to Christ, Christ dying for every man, and to give a view that God has elected some to salvation unconditionally gives them an idea of an unloving God, this causes them to automatically through Calvinism out the window.

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
Calvinists are looked down on these forums? That's news to me, but I hardly ever post here. - just in spurts when a topic interests me Reformed Christians in my experience tend to be the most educated and informed on Christian doctrine's and the Scriptures.

Not to mention that it's hard to view us as 'radical' considering that Calvin is occasionally referred to as the theologian of the reformation - and most who reject Calvinism probably belong to churches which sprung directly from the reformation. So, who are the radicals?

Upvote 0

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
tyreth said:
Oh, out of interest, what kind of forums/threads here spark people to look down on Calvinists?

Try going to any of the appologetics forums or anywhere general theology is debated. Better yet, go to the soteriology forum. Furthurmore, you do not use a Calvinist icon, therefore, people probably do not know you are a Calvinist. Truth be told, we sound very much like mainstream evangelical Christians when we are not pushing our "extreme", "hateful", doctrines on people.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's very simple actually. People do not want their "choice" taken from them. In America, we thrive on choice. We consider it a right. In the political realm this is true. However, in the spiritual realm it is not.

Calvinism/Reformed Theology is offensive simply because it teaches that we did not save ourselves in any way shape or form. God did it all for His glory. We did not seek Him. He sought us and ordained it so before the foundation of the world.

There is also the difficulty people have with looking at things from an eternal perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Knight said:
It's very simple actually. People do not want their "choice" taken from them. In America, we thrive on choice. We consider it a right. In the political realm this is true. However, in the spiritual realm it is not.

Calvinism/Reformed Theology is offensive simply because it teaches that we did not save ourselves in any way shape or form. God did it all for His glory. We did not seek Him. He sought us and ordained it so before the foundation of the world.

There is also the difficulty people have with looking at things from an eternal perspective.
Hear, hear! Agreed. I will broaden this just a bit and say "westerners" consider themselves to be "rugged individualists." Burger King mentality, "Have it YOUR way." The existentialist revolution of the 20th century has permeated Christ's Church....and postmodernism is the icing on the cake.

Calvinists clearly see the existential/postmodern tendencies of theologies that are not reformed. To not agree with culture is an ugly thing man! :cool:

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Knight said:
I

Thats funny, Catholicism says the same thing. :) (At least regarding initial salvation)

Upvote 0

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Defens0rFidei said:
Thats funny, Catholicism says the same thing. :) (At least regarding initial salvation)

That is true, but then as you noted in the parenthesis, official catholic doctrine deviates from protestantism by saying that the second part of justification involves the believer's cooperation through the sacraments. So yes, there are simularities. Still, however, one church teaches a justification based upon grace/works, while the other one teaches a justification based soley upon grace.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Bulldog said:
I agree. Many do not like Calvinism because it violates the traditions they were brought up on (as I did me when I first looked into Calvinism). People are raised to believe in free will, man's ability to come to Christ, Christ dying for every man, and to give a view that God has elected some to salvation unconditionally gives them an idea of an unloving God, this causes them to automatically through Calvinism out the window.
Your post reminded me of a post reply in GA yesterday..........The first quote is me........

If you do good thank God for it , it is His secret work in you and inspite of you. by cygusx1

Then the response by Dredgtone...............

I'm not big on attributing my own success to anything or anyone else but myself. But I'll thank my biology for my goodness, then you can be satisfied in knowing that it was God who blessed me with this biology =P

by dredgtone

Upvote 0

Sola Gratia

Jan 3, 2004
New York State
✟403.00
Faith
Baptist
Street Preacher said:
I've notice a trend in christianforums.com where Calvinists are singled out and when a calvinist posts the post is taken light heartedly, anyone else find that?

What does the Bible tell us about that ?

Mat 13:10
And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:11
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Mat 13:12
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Mat 13:13
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Mat 13:14
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Mat 13:15
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and [their] ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with [their] eyes, and hear with [their] ears, and should understand with [their] heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Mat 13:16
But blessed [are] your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Some things are foolishness to the natural man !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sola Gratia

Jan 3, 2004
New York State
✟403.00
Faith
Baptist
Defens0rFidei said:

Yes that was earned for you by the parent that took you to be baptised. They earned your "initial" salvation for you.Then you become responsible to "keep" it .

When we say we did nothing to be saved, we mean God is the author and the finisher of our salvation, not by the will of man , but the will of God.

Men think that they are worthy enough to be saved so God owes them an opportunity .

I think that if God was fair he would place us all in hellsfire

Upvote 0
ps139 said:
Sola gratia, what would God's purpose be in creating us then? Not debating, just interested in what you have to say.

That's the first thing addressed in The Westminster Catechism.

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.

Upvote 0