"Reformed" "Reform" in name of church always mean the Pastor is Calvinistic in doctrine?

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I see that ain't Zwinglian did precisely as you predicted - got upset and walked away. That's a pity, but I have encountered the same situation all too often. The simple reality is, in my experience, that those who loudly proclaim transsubtantiation and insist that the bread becomes the real body and flesh of Jesus Christ and the wine becomes the real blood of Jesus Christ, actually do not believe that they are eating human flesh and drinking human blood. They fall back on the Aristotelian argument that the "accidents" of the eucharist, while remaining physically unchanged, have "spiritually" been transformed into the genuine flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.
Scripture also tells us that if people don't listen, we should shake the dust off of our feet, and move on.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Scripture also tells us that if people don't listen, we should shake the dust off of our feet, and move on.
Yes, there is that. However, it is no excuse to get upset and deride others who disagree. For example, although I disagree with Lutheranism on several counts, I hold Lutherans, especially those such as yourself, in high esteem.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When a church name includes the word "reformed" or "reform" does that always mean (or to a very high degree) that the Pastor will be Calvinistic in doctrine?

Yes, many reformed Churches will be Calvinistic in their theology and church practices. Although many Calvinists prefer the title "reformed" because people typically don't know what reformed theology is but, have heard of John Calvin and those of us who can follow a "tyrant" like him. So yeah, Calvinist and Reformed are the exact same things.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is that. However, it is no excuse to get upset and deride others who disagree. For example, although I disagree with Lutheranism on several counts, I hold Lutherans, especially those such as yourself, in high esteem.
Thanks, I meant no offense, rather just making a point that one does need to take Scripture in it's entirety not just the bits that one thinks they understand. Not understanding does not invalidate Scripture. Nothing invalidates Scripture.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks, I meant no offense, rather just making a point that one does need to take Scripture in it's entirety not just the bits that one thinks they understand. Not understanding does not invalidate Scripture. Nothing invalidates Scripture.
Absolutely true, although for some Scripture and Sacred Tradition are intimately intertwined.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since you asked the question; Scripture is clear and sternly admonishes us regarding no discerning Christ's body and blood.

When the initial poster asked I was happy to try and openly discuss in the hopes of seeing this in a different light, but that moment is very definitely over.

It was just a stupid thought of mine that such a discussion could even be had. I have a tendency toward optimism that the world loves reminding me is futile.

I thank you for your post however.

God bless you.

All this makes me seem the church as a bunch of camps that hate each other and I can't see His Church that way... I just can't. I can't cry any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely true, although for some Scripture and Sacred Tradition are intimately intertwined.
Agreed. Each supporting the other. The "real presence" is Scriptural and Scripture supports it by the admonitions regarding discerning that presence and regarding worthy reception. Along with those warnings there are also the promises of grace through the reception. Each supporting the other. Not tradition.

The Liturgy of the (Lutheran) Mass is tradition, but the words are from Scripture as are most of the prayers; those that are not point to Christ, and as such neither conflict with Scripture, nor are they forbidden by it.

Other (Catholic) traditions such as the veneration of the Eucharist outside of the context of the Mass; Scripture says we are to eat and drink it; not sit, stare and venerate it; this is not why our Lord gave it to us.

I don't consider Confessional Lutherans "reformed as such" rather I view us as the "restored" holy Evangelical (Bible Based) Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Reformed can encompass all forms of Christianity outside of Catholic, Orthodox, and Confessional Lutherans. Any Churches that are influenced by Calvinism, Arminianism, Anabaptism I would consider "reformed" including Anglicanism (with some exceptions).

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When the initial poster asked I was happy to try and openly discuss in the hopes of seeing this in a different light, but that moment is very definitely over.

It was just a stupid thought of mine that such a discussion could even be had. I have a tendency toward optimism that the world loves reminding me is futile.

I thank you for your post however.

God bless you.

All this makes me seem the church as a bunch of camps that hate each other and I can't see His Church that way... I just can't. I can't cry any more.
What is the purpose of Christ's Church if not to be an instrument of the the Holy Spirit and to bring Salvation to all. This only happens through repentance, and in order to facilitate repentance. How does the Church do this? Through admonishing errors and preaching the promise of the Gospel. Last I looked, this applies to protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, Calvinists etc.

This is theology, we discuss both our similarities and differences. It's what happens here.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Agreed. Each supporting the other. The "real presence" is Scriptural and Scripture supports it by the admonitions regarding discerning that presence and regarding worthy reception. Along with those warnings there are also the promises of grace through the reception. Each supporting the other. Not tradition.

The Liturgy of the (Lutheran) Mass is tradition, but the words are from Scripture as are most of the prayers; those that are not point to Christ, and as such neither conflict with Scripture, nor are they forbidden by it.

Other (Catholic) traditions such as the veneration of the Eucharist outside of the context of the Mass; Scripture says we are to eat and drink it; not sit, stare and venerate it; this is not why our Lord gave it to us.

I don't consider Confessional Lutherans "reformed as such" rather I view us as the "restored" holy Evangelical (Bible Based) Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Reformed can encompass all forms of Christianity outside of Catholic, Orthodox, and Confessional Lutherans. Any Churches that are influenced by Calvinism, Arminianism, Anabaptism I would consider "reformed" including Anglicanism (with some exceptions).
Thank you. As we both agree, there is a very fine line between veneration (respect) and worship (idolatry). When the Eucharist is venerated I agree completely with you that this is not at all why our Lord gave it to us. A similar aspect developed with the veneration of various relics. Louis IX of France drained his treasury to accumulate a collection of relics which he housed in the Sainte Chapelle.

1712674261270.png

Not to be outdone, much later, Henry VII of England constructed King's College Chapel in Cambridge.

1712674366876.png

Today, the Sainte Chapel has become one of the tourist destinations in Paris and not a site of significant Christian pilgrimage. King's College Chapel, however, still functions pretty much as intended.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. As we both agree, there is a very fine line between veneration (respect) and worship (idolatry).
I am sorry for anyone that struggles with idolatry, but let me state there is NOT a fine line between the worship given to God and any other form of honor or respect. For example, respect and honor your parents, but realize your parents were created by God and are like specks of dust in the universe. But God loves the specks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

download.jpg

This thread had a small clean up of posts that were off topic or disruptive.

IF you are going to out a member on ignore, just do it and don't announce it.

Don't talk about a member as if they were banned from a discussion and can't see it (or 'as if they are not there').

The rules have this:

Disruptive Behavior, Campaigning, Staff Disciplinary Action

To maintain the peace and harmony on CF you must refrain from doing the following on the public forums:
  • Making posts that speak of any Staff action either with you or another member (including any bans, warnings, or editing or removal of posts).
  • Do not add comments to posts once the thread has been closed for review. A closed thread means there should not be any further comment. Commenting in closed threads can result in a ban.
  • Complaining about another members posts/threads, Christian Forums or its Staff.
  • Spite reports - e.g. reporting in retaliation, multiple reports on a member using opposing arguments but are not violations, or repeatedly reporting a member in harassment.
  • Attempting to undermine these rules or policies via campaigns, petitions, or protests is not allowed.
If you feel the need to discuss another member's behavior, or have a issue about CF, its Staff or Policies, please make a Ticket in Support and discuss it in private with our Admins and Advisors.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0