Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,778,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's say you're at the grocery store. You have a cartfull of stuff and you're in the checkout line. Suddenly you remember an item that you forgot to pick up on your way through the aisles. There's nobody in line behind you, but the item is far enough away as to be out of sight of your cart. Do you:
A. Leave your cart in line and quick run to get the thing
or
B. Take your cart with you and risk losing your ideal place in line.
????????????????????????

jeremiah

May 17, 2002
San Diego
✟640.00
leave my cart in line. mad dash for the item, but leave my cart there. I have no patience at the store. I am working on that. For instance I am watching Amie's daughter and I had to go grocery shopping. she has on her list "oil" so is that car oil, olive oil? and she has "Biz" what the hell is Biz? also she has down beef bouliion. once again what the heck????? what is that??? I need to go get this done, can someone help me!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to say I would take the cart with me but in all reality, I would probably leave it in line and make a mad dash for the item I needed. Can't give up that all too important place in line, can we? I wonder when it is all added up how much time we spend standing in lines in our entire lives?

Jeremiah, your post made me giggle! I guess that is why you generally see females doing the grocery shopping, huh? Hang in there, you'll learn yet!

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,778,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take the cart with me too.

Now, for those who would leave the cart in line and run to find your missing item: would you get hacked off if someone who had a handful of items skipped in front of your lone cart?

(I'm asking these questions because of an incident that happened at the grocery store last night)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dinkime

Becky's my name, Jesus' my game!
Feb 18, 2002
middle america
Visit site
✟21,380.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i always have someone else with me (or else am in no hurry at all)...so one of us goes & one stays with the cart...

one pet peeve i DO have, though, is when one person stands in line with one little thing & then someone comes with a cart load & is with the person with one thing GRRR that happened to us at Sam's the other day, but we were "rewarded" LOL, a guy came & scanned our items & all we had to do was pay at a different spot, but we were out before them LOL

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LOL Jeremiah, I should have been more specific! LOL

If the store was not crowded and th item was close, I would run for it. If the item was farther and the store was crowded, I would take my cart. I have asked the person behind me to watch my cart though while I ran to retrieve an item...
Amie

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
I've "run-for-it" on several occasions. Couple of times while I was actually being checked out. The delay to the person behind me was roughly 1.7 seconds. I figure they can handle it...

If I have a couple items, and am standing behind someone with a whole basket-full, I very much appreaciate hearing: "Would you like to go before me?" If the positions are reversed, I absolutely say that to the other!

Two things come to mind, happened to me recently: a young lady went through the line with 34 cosmetic items. Each had to be scanned individually. The sign said, 8 ITEMS OR LESS.

Then there is one grocery here, that has ONE express lane with THREE registers. I had been standing in line 3-5 minutes, we were taking turns. As one register cleared, whoever was at the head of the line got the register (just like in a bank lobby). For the second time, a certain young lady WALKED AROUND and up to one of the registers.

"Uh, EXCUSE me, the line's back here."
"No it's not. There's three."
"We've been waiting for several minutes! If you'd BEEN here, you'd have seen there's ONE LINE."
"That's YOUR line, this one's empty."

What would you do?

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lucypevensie-to answer your question I guess I would have to say it depends. :) If I was in fact gone for just a few seconds, I might be a bit ticked that someone got in front of me. But if I was gone longer than I expected and someone just had a couple of items, I don't think it would bother me too much that they got in front. I take that is not what happened with the situation you are talking about?

Ben johnson-I am with you on the express lanes. I get slightly irritated when people with obviously more than the express lane limit go through the express lane. Kinda takes the whole idea of "express" away, doesn't it? :p And to answer your question, I would probably try to explain to the person how the line system works. If she still insists on going ahead, let her. It isn't worth the anxiety and spike in blood pressure it's going to cause. If everybody else understands the rules and she doesn't, who does it look bad on? Not you because you were kind enough to let her go ahead.

And, just an unrelated question, are you perhaps the same Ben Johnson that is on the Left Behind Message Board? :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.