Jul 18, 2007
✟30,337.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My health is pretty poor and has been for some time. I've had a number of scares recently that have, mercifully, ended well, for which I give thanks to God. But today I was diagnosed with a chronic condition which will be difficult to bear. If I was still Word/Faith, I'd know how to approach it, but I'm, what I would call a 'heart-Catholic' now,(though not an actual Catholic :cool:) and I'm a bit lost.

I kind of know about 'offering up'. How do I best make spiritual use of this illness? (Please don't have a pop at me about my ignorance, I already know, that I really don't know what I ought to :) )

Reactions: MikeK

AXO

Latin and Hispano-Mozarabic Rite, Roman Catholic
Apr 4, 2014
TOLETVM
✟8,020.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My health is pretty poor and has been for some time. I've had a number of scares recently that have, mercifully, ended well, for which I give thanks to God. But today I was diagnosed with a chronic condition which will be difficult to bear. If I was still Word/Faith, I'd know how to approach it, but I'm, what I would call a 'heart-Catholic' now,(though not an actual Catholic :cool:) and I'm a bit lost.

I kind of know about 'offering up'. How do I best make spiritual use of this illness? (Please don't have a pop at me about my ignorance, I already know, that I really don't know what I ought to :) )
Jesus also carried (figuratively and really) his cross, and, the same as Simon of Cyrene helped Our Lord, we and all the Catholic and Christian community spread throughout the Earth will help you. You just have to refer to our Holy Scripture, and to commend yourself to God: He is the only one who can choose your destiny. And PRAY. That one is your "lethal weapon". Because, as Our Lord said, "whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith". (Mt 21:22) You know, "for everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened". (Lk 11:10)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,682,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Prayers for you Joy.

Offering up your illness can be as simple as an intention for someone else or the salvation of souls. Just pray that God gives you strength & peace as you offer it up to Him to apply as He see's fit.

God bless you! :)

Upvote 0

Mary's Bhoy

Formerly the user SCIM
May 25, 2009
Glasgow, UK
✟8,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I am terribly sorry to hear that you are suffering right now, and I assure you that you have my prayer that you will be able to carry this cross of yours! I know that it can be incredibly difficult, but try and think not of it as a cross, but as a blessing. God wills and permits all things for our greater good as it is known to Him, and we know that He loves us unconditionally. Which means that no matter what we face in life, we face because in the end God will bring out a good for us from it. :)

The Catholic doctrine of "offering it up" may be a little hard for you to understand since you come from a Protestant tradition, so do not worry about anyone "having a pop" at you. Quite simply, when we are in a state of grace, by our actions we can merit for others (those suffering illness, spiritual temptations, the release of the Holy Souls in Purgatory, etc.). This can be accomplished because being in a state of grace means we possess habitual grace, which is the indwelling life of God within us. It is the participation in the divine nature of God. Catholic Answers has a tract on this subject and it adequately states of sanctifying grace (habitual grace): "Sanctifying grace stays in the soul. It’s what makes the soul holy; it gives the soul supernatural life. More properly, it is supernatural life."

The meriting that can be done whilst in a state of grace is fully reliant upon God's grace. The value of our acts take their value from God Himself. He gives them worth. Hence when we are not in a state of grace, when we are in a state of sin and death, we cannot merit anything by our prayers and good works.

The best spiritual use of your illness would be to listen to God's call to you to receive the Catholic faith and come into the practise of the Catholic religion. :) Your question on the particular issue of the doctrine of "offering it up" and your statement that you are, at least, "Catholic in heart" say to me that He is trying to draw you closer and closer to Him. We enter into a state of grace, we come into the possession of habitual grace, by Holy Baptism. But sadly by sin we lose that same grace. But wonderfully and joyfully Christ has instituted the Sacrament of Confession which is administered by His ministers in the Church every day, and by it we can be restored to our participation in the divine life. Furthermore you have implicitly acknowledged a desire to serve God and others through your trial, that your suffering may avail others as Christ's own did. This oblation of yourself seems a foreshadowing of the sublime oblation we make of ourselves in Holy Communion to Our and Saviour Jesus Christ. As He has came to us, as He has given himself entirely to us, He asks in return that we give ourselves entirely to Him, and this is no better accomplished than in the act of Holy Communion! I could go on and on. I don't think you can deny it, you have to swim the Tiber! ;)

Yours in Jesus and Mary,
SCIM.

Upvote 0

Mary's Bhoy

Formerly the user SCIM
May 25, 2009
Glasgow, UK
✟8,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Off-topicing: How did you manage to disalign the page? x'D

"And Jesus beholding, said to them: With men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible."

[I actually have absolutely no idea! :D]

Yours in Jesus and Mary,
SCIM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Joy, I think it means enduring your suffering without complaining too much. And not using your suffering to hinder you from living as Christ wants you to live (alms-giving, praying for others, spiritual and corporal works of mercy, and so on).

Think of someone you know, maybe an athlete, soldier or handicapped person who lives life in a way that others admire. The athlete who perseveres through injury, the soldier who thinks he's just one of those doing his duty (even when he's had both legs shot off), the down's syndrome person who works his way through life. Or just the mother who has seven children in tow. Seeing that there's someone out there who has a situation you wouldn't want to be in, and saying a prayer for them. Thanking the police for doing their job. Thanking the cashier for checking your credit card ID.

I think suffering through your health issues without making it known to everyone (if possible) and offering your suffering for the benefit of someone else.

My sister was married for 22 years, and was a stay-at-home mother of two. Her husband had issues, and they separated, and eventually divorced. She was financially destitute until the divorce was final, having to give up what she was used to. She was just feeling so bad that she couldn't pay her bills. Then a storm hit her area and devastated a low-lying section of town, and she joined a group at her church to help. When she saw what the people who were devastated had to deal with, she realized her situation wasn't that bad, and the experience helped her get through the tough time.

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0