Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Guess you never heard of the space program of the People's Republic of China directed by the China National Space Administration going all the way back to the 50's. Funded solely by the Chinese government took this photo in 2014.

1280px-Earth_and_the_Moon_from_Chang%27e_5_T1.jpg
... and I call this one fake too.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know where it is “up there”.
Really? It is pretty elementary stuff.

So - you basically are a conspiracy nut for everything but ancient middle eastern numerology myths. Interesting...

Upvote 0

SpiritualBeing

Nov 21, 2018
Tampa
✟31,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let's clarify something here, shall we?

First, I once thought every Flat Earther was "retarded", "mentally ill", "insane", and so on. However, after having met numerous Flat Earthers, my original assessment was incorrect. A lot of FEs are highly intelligent individuals. Many are professionals like pilots, engineers, teachers, astronomers, and yes, there are even astrophysicists, and theoretical physicists among them, to name a few groups. While I can't verify if those claiming to have once worked for NASA are legitimate, I reason that given the evidence for NASA's deception, it's possible.

Next, most FEs are learned in the Heliocentric model, often more than most generic globe believers. In other words, treating FEs like they "can't science" or "don't know science bro" is just ignorant and downright disrespectful. I assure you, most know how the globe works.

Finally, for the Christians here, show a little more humility and kindness to your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Also, have enough humility to reason that you might be deceived about the world's shape and workings. Have enough humility to reason that only God knows the absolutes and you're just His creation.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? It is pretty elementary stuff.

So - you basically are a conspiracy nut for everything but ancient middle eastern numerology myths. Interesting...

I'm not a conspiracy nut. Can you avoid the name-calling, please?

Upvote 0

SpiritualBeing

Nov 21, 2018
Tampa
✟31,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Furthermore, I don't count "a photo of the horizon" as proof of curvature or the lack of it. Likewise, I don't accept high altitude photographs as proof of curvature or the lack of it. Neither do I accept a photo of a boat "vanishing behind the curve" as proof of either.

With all that said, I've chosen to accept knowing that I don't know what shape the Earth is, much less what the lights are above my head, shining in the night. I choose to accept what scripture says and while I do continue to question, research, and experiment, it's my ultimate authority at this point.

You could spend a few months sailing around the world and navigating using "global" maps, you would soon find out.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A book on Mao that has nothing to do with the Chinese space program. Ok This isn't evidence for anything.
LOL friend go threw what we were talking about, up to you asking for a source :)

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could spend a few months sailing around the world and navigating using "global" maps, you would soon find out.
Some have that type of time and did you know what else? Some sailors are FEs. Then again, FEs are also in the military too. It's almost like FEs are just people and they come from all walks of life, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritualBeing

Nov 21, 2018
Tampa
✟31,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, you're forgetting that the majority of Flat Earthers don't believe humans are able to travel beyond the firmament (dome). Therefore, no one could possibly get a photo or video, due to that barrier.
Key word, BELIEVE. But we have proven with evidence over and over again that we have.

In fact, a lot of your counter-points indicate you have limited knowledge of the model the majority of FE's use. Perhaps you should go do some research yourself, purely for sake of not appearing ignorant?
How can I have knowledge of something that doesn't exist?

Did you know it's not only FEs who distrust NASA's space imagery? For example, NASA's dishonesty has made me distrust them to the point I don't believe a single thing they have to say, much less the fanciful images they show the world.

I see this as a sound position. If an organization is constantly engaging in fraud, do you trust them? Do you trust them if even they are caught engaging in fraud once? Personally, I've given NASA way too much of my time and too many holes to slither out from, throughout the years. I'm just done with them and that goes for the other space agencies as well.
Can you provide evidence where they were dishonest? Or is this just your personal opinion?
Does any of this make the Earth flat? No. However, it doesn't make it a globe either. So, where does that leave me? Certainly, I can continue to believe the world is a sphere, spinning on its axis, whirling around a giant sun, zipping around something called a galaxy, speeding around this massive body called "the great attractor", all expanding at a speed I won't even discuss.
We have observed a globe not a flat earth. That is why it makes it a globe. If we observed a flat earth then we would make it a flat earth. We observe white clouds not green ones. Pretty simple concept.
I can do that or I can trust my eyes and what the Bible says. Does that make me ignorant? Actually, no, since I'm aware of the various counter-points as well as the workings of the opposing model. I should be, I was obsessed with understanding it at one point.
And the bible does not say the Earth is flat.
~~~
For example, as an aside, a lot of FEs maintain that "water can't stick to the outside of a ball" and "we can't observe water sticking to the outside of a ball". Yes, they are right. However, only because we are living on a large body (mass) and its gravity is greater than anything which might exist on it. In other words, it's impossible to observe "water sticking to the outside of a ball" or behaving in any manner other than being pulled down by the force of the Earth's gravity.

It doesn't matter if the ball is spinning or stationary, water isn't going to stick to it on Earth. Furthermore, examples of "water drops" aren't acceptable because this is simply surface tension; it's the same thing which occurs to larger amounts of water on a Zero-G flight. Actually, this also happens in acoustic levitation experiments, where a bead of water is suspended by sound waves alone.

Furthermore, I don't count "a photo of the horizon" as proof of curvature or the lack of it. Likewise, I don't accept high altitude photographs as proof of curvature or the lack of it. Neither do I accept a photo of a boat "vanishing behind the curve" as proof of either.

With all that said, I've chosen to accept knowing that I don't know what shape the Earth is, much less what the lights are above my head, shining in the night. I choose to accept what scripture says and while I do continue to question, research, and experiment, it's my ultimate authority at this point.
You contradict yourself here. You say you don't know what shape the earth is but you KNOW it's not a globe? Interesting. Not one shred of evidence that the earth is not a globe except for your claim that God states this in the bible in which he does not.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean you can come up with all kinds of government consipiracy BS but fact is there have been many non-governmental people in space. For example, take a look at the Red Bull Stratos space jump. Fully privately funded.

red-bull-stratos-mission-attempt.jpg
Its all good friend, red bull a massaive company ran by the... Wait never mind agree to disagree :)

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean you can come up with all kinds of government consipiracy BS but fact is there have been many non-governmental people in space. For example, take a look at the Red Bull Stratos space jump. Fully privately funded.

red-bull-stratos-mission-attempt.jpg

Some would reason that it was faked.

hqdefault.jpg

Others like me, just look at the footage and realize the fact the Earth is simply too curved throughout the video, including at low altitude. In other words, a wide angle lens was used.

Also, planet new Mexico looks just great! :smarty: Pardon the humor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a conspiracy nut. Can you avoid the name-calling, please?
It is not really name-calling, more of a colloquialism, but sorry you took it that way.

Is 'one who accepts crazy conspiracies at face value while rejecting science and reality backed explanations' better?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can I have knowledge of something that doesn't exist?
So it's easy for you to understand...

People study mythology. People study what ancient cultures believed about the world, purely out of historical interest. Are those myths true? Do they need to be for people to study them? No.

There are people who dedicate their entire lives to the study of a fictional religion (Jediism) and even the Sith opposite. Likewise, there are people who study the Star Trek universe as if it's real. I'm sure, considering such people, You could could humble yourself and learn what Flat Earthers believe and why?

Can you provide evidence where they were dishonest? Or is this just your personal opinion?

Plenty of evidence exists for those who aren't blinded to it. Can I show you? Over time, yes. Will I? I'll think about it. Until I decide, consider researching the topic.

And the bible does not say the Earth is flat.
You contradict yourself here. You say you don't know what shape the earth is but you KNOW it's not a globe? Interesting. Not one shred of evidence that the earth is not a globe except for your claim that God states this in the bible in which he does not.

I assume it's not a globe. I don't know for certain.

As for scripture, while it doesn't outright say it's flat, it certainly comes close to doing so. It DOES clarify Earth doesn't orbit a giant sun. It also declares the firmament and other than the ice canopy theory (flawed), that's hard to explain on a globe unless you get into "expanse" and assert that other verses (like from Job) are figurative or simply man's incorrect understandings.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not really name-calling, more of a colloquialism, but sorry you took it that way.

Is 'one who accepts crazy conspiracies at face value while rejecting science and reality backed explanations' better?
No, it's not. You don't know me or why I believe what I do. Why do you choose to assume so much?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...It also declares the firmament and other than the ice canopy theory (flawed), that's hard to explain on a globe unless you get into "expanse" and assert that other verses (like from Job) are figurative or simply man's incorrect understandings.

So what is this "firmament" anyway? Is it a real thing, is it "firm," or is it an unfortunate word choice by the KJV translators?

Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.