Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm looking into GPS a little more. It seems they work similarly to crank and cam sensors and wheel speed sensors in automotive applications. Smart phones as well, as they all have Hall Effect sensors inside.

GPS is actually Geolocation or Position with earth's magnetic field and the North Pole at it center. No internet or satellites are needed for these devices to function. Since is slightly off the True North all GPS systems are slightly off of the exact location.

IOW, if you're lost in the Outback with your phone you are out of luck because there are no towers to get a coverage. However, if you have saved a Google map of that area on your phone then even without data coverage you are good to go.

9 minutes

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm looking into GPS a little more. It seems they work similarly to crank and cam sensors and wheel speed sensors in automotive applications. Smart phones as well, as they all have Hall Effect sensors inside.

Nonsense! An obvious experiment (screening a GPS unit from satellites) proves that this is false.

GPS is actually Geolocation or Position with earth's magnetic field and the North Pole at it center. No internet or satellites are needed for these devices to function.

Nonsense! An obvious experiment (placing a magnet near a GPS unit) proves that this is false too.

Since is slightly off the True North all GPS systems are slightly off of the exact location.

Wrong again. At the geographic north pole, a GPS unit does indeed read 90° North (plus a meaningless longitude number:

90NWca.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OTOH, flat-earthers have fallen in love with bad logic and selective evidence. Example: all photographs are now photoshopped, altered, rendered, CGI and cartoonish. Arguments are dismissed with a wave of the flat hand, guided by a flat mind.
I love these arguments.
On another forum, a flat earther (also, of course, anti-vax, creationists, etc.) claimed that photos of the earth showing a curve are the result of using a GoPro which produces fisheye lens distortion.
I pointed out that if this were so, that all such pictures were taken with GoPros (why would NASA use a GoPro?) then earth photos in which the horizon was low in the frame of the picture should show the curvature going UP at the edges, not down.

No reply.

• Useful
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you assume that every person who questions these three facts is intellectually challenged? Mentally ill? Do you consider every one of them incapable of coming to a correct conclusion?

Frankly, yes. Those options are valid options, along with suffering from various organic or other disorders, the Dunning-Kruger effect, the bandwagon effect, the backfire effect, etc.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nobody can prove a globe Steve. If somebody could, the would. You didn't just suddenly find the one bit of evidence that "proves the globe". What else you got?
Keep in mind, folks like this can vote, drive cars, reproduce, etc...

• Haha
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think it's brave for a person to stand up for what they believe in, especially when they are persecuted by the crowd for doing so.
So brave... Just like the anti-vax parents whose kid dies of an easily vaccine-prevented disease.
So brave for standing up for what they merely believe due to their self-absorption and inability to understand how little they understand.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Have flat earthers never flown in a plane? When the plane is at altitude, and you look out the window on a clear day, the horizon is obviously curved. No matter which direction you fly--north-south or east-west--the curvature is the same at the same altitude. And the higher your altitude, the greater the curvature. I've flown hundreds of times and have seen this with my own eyes. How is this possible if the planet is flat? Do they think that all aircraft manufacturers conspire to install some kind of trick windows that make the only the distant horizon look curved? Only a monumentally gullible fool would believe such idiocy.
I saw a YouTube video - by the way, YouTube is where the BEST flat earth arguments are found :doh:- by a guy claiming that if the earth were spherical, then planes would fly straight off into space.....

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, you see curvature from a jet plane. You discredit yourself right there. Here are some high altitude balloons at 22 miles high, no curvature. Yhat's over 125,000 feet and no plane flies that high.

The fact is, the horizon ALWAYS rises to eye level which is impossible on a globe.

Interesting. So I note in the videos that you can never see the edge of the flat earth, and you can never see, say, the Antarctic Ice Wall off in the distance.

Why is that?
And if you say 'too far', then I say, why has no flat earther taken a camera with a telephoto lens to see how far they can see toward the edge?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Furthermore, the mere existence of independent high altitude video footage, showing a level and flat surface of the Earth, makes your question regarding curvature at 30+ thousand feet moot. However, I do think it's a good question and deserves further research.
Watched some videos yesterday of rocket enthusiasts launching homemade rockets to altitudes of as high as 90,000 feet. The curvature was obvious in their on-board footage.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If an organization or individual is caught in fraud, do you continue to trust them?
Well poisoning? Cool - OK, this is why I do not trust creationists OR flat earthers OR anti-vaxxers. Well that and their claims are garbage and their 'evidence' is misrepresented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

That it's complete nonsense. One particular picture was assembled from bits and pieces of satellite footage. Lots of others are actual raw data -- they just don't look as good.

Another thought: 99% of YouTube videos are rubbish.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out how those satellites' motions are described by Kepler's Laws. I can somehow predict a satellite's position using Kepler's observations. Why doesn't the video address any math?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, yes. Those options are valid options, along with suffering from various organic or other disorders, the Dunning-Kruger effect, the bandwagon effect, the backfire effect, etc.

That's just ignorant.

Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Name calling is "persecution"?

Let me guess - you think "libtards" are snowflakes?
I don't like to call people such names in general. It's generalization and it's highly ignorant.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.