Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That’s talking about our mortal body, that one day will be replaced by an immortal one. Thathappened with Jesus already - but He already had an immortal spirit, as do we all.

Spirits are immortal and will spend eternity one of two places.
Spirits are not immortal by default. They have everlasting existence by design.

Only those who are ALIVE forever are immortal. The dead spirits will be in the Lake of Fire. Existing forever in torments. The second "death." Always existing, but spiritually dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Spirits are not immortal by default. They have everlasting existence by design.

Only those who are ALIVE forever are immortal. The dead spirits will be in the Lake of Fire. Existing forever in torments. The second "death." Always existing, but spiritually dead.
If you’re burning alive forever in fire, yet you aren’t killed, that would make somebody immortal

the wicked are promised death and destruction, not immortality.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you’re burning alive forever in fire, yet you aren’t killed, that would make somebody immortal

the wicked are promised death and destruction, not immortality.

You are not working with what God sees as DEAD...

We are talking about immortal Life!

You can be existing, but not alive. We are talking about more than simply going through the motions of being physically alive.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."
Jn 10:10​

Jesus was talking about physically living beings that he wanted to give Life to!

You can be physically alive, yet dead.

"But she who lives for pleasure is dead even while she is still alive."
1 Tim 5:6​

That situation will be reversed.. They will be living for torments, but will be dead as far as God is concerned.

Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.
Mt 8:21-22​

The DEAD will be in the Lake of Fire! Forever tormented in their death. The Second death!

You keep thinking in terms of this life only. Immortal LIFE will be a wonder of joyousness and spiritual exhilaration forever! We can not know it until we receive our resurrection bodies!

grace and peace........

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am 72 years old and have been a born again Christian most of my life. Until a few years ago, I had never heard of the theology of annihilationism. I had been taught that the unbeliever suffers eternally in the fires of Hell. I've always had a problem with that and I've talked to God about it. I just have a lot of trouble believing that a just and righteous God would have someone suffer for eternity simply because they chose to to live their life without Jesus as Lord. I was riding a train from St Louis, MO to Kansas City, MO when I read about annihilationism for the first time. I was fascinated and I read the complete article and the scriptural references that really seemed to show that unbelievers are annihilated in Hell, not left to burn in the fire for eternity.

I know this is a very controversial subject and I know that most people reading this do not accept the teaching of annihilationism. After studying it thoroughly for years, I can only say that I am 90% convinced of its reality. I believe all the study on this subject breaks down to two important questions:

#1 - It is obvious that there is a fire in Hell that cannot be quenched and burns for eternity according The Word. The annihilationist simply says that although the Fire is eternal, that does not mean that the unbeliever will continually burn in the fire and never burn up. ***Rather, the person, (body, soul, and spirit) are thrown into the fire and only suffer long enough for their body, soul, and spirit to be totally annihilated.
#2 - As I understand it, suffering for eternity in Hell was a theology created by the Catholic church to frighten the people into serving the church and avoiding this eternal punishment. Also, the Old Testament seems to describe Hell as simply going into darkness and then into eternal sleep.

I'm not a good enough Bible student to set forth the scriptures that are in question here. There are many articles on the internet that show in detail why some believe in annihilationism over eternal suffering. I know God is eternal and we cannot put Him in a box of our own belief system but when I study all of the other attributes of God, the idea of making the spirits of people suffer for eternity has never seemed to me to fit with His other attributes. All I can do is hope that the annihilationists are right because I don't want to think about people who were actually pretty good people suffering for eternity. We all know some very gentle, loving people who simply have decided they don't need Jesus but otherwise live a moral life. Do you understand what I'm saying?
I don't know if annihilationism is a valid concept or not but I do know that our God is infinitely good and merciful, trustworthy, just, fair, and kind. And there was once a saint who's been recognized and loved by many in the Christian world named Julian of Norwich who also "talked to God about it", having a burden for the fate of the many who were dying around her due to the Black Plague in Britain back in the 13th or 14th century, I believe. And God "showed" her something without going into specific details, something very simple and yet profound. He said, simply, "All shall be well and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

And she took that to heart, having been given the grace in this case to know the Source and the truth of the message, that God will work things out such that all will be completely satisfied that the "right thing" has been done at the end of the day. But should we really doubt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0