• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

An Olympics news story that may unify liberals and Christians:

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Subduction Zone, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+10,719
    Atheist
    Single
    Women’s Handball Players Are Fined for Rejecting Bikini Uniforms

Women's beach handball has rather skimpy uniforms. I will not post any pictures of the approved uniforms since I may violate some sort of forum rules. But to put it lightly they are rather cheeky to say the least. The Norwegian team has objected to these uniforms for quite some time and wish to wear something more similar to what the men's team has to wear. Here is a description of their uniforms:

The International Handball Federation requires women to wear bikini bottoms “with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg.” The sides of the bikini bottoms must be no more than four inches. Men, on the other hand, can wear shorts as long as four inches above their knees as long as they are “not too baggy.”

I have to go against my inner desires and admit that the Norwegian women's team has a very valid point.

And okay, I will post a picture but only from the front. That should not be too revealing for this site:

[​IMG]

So, is the Norwegian team being reasonable in their objections? I will let people search for the backside of those uniforms themselves.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+12,961
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    If they want to have a rule requiring bikini bottoms for the women, then it's only fair they require it for the men as well. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,373
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    It is a positive choice in the here-and-now, but it has no benefit in the eternal sense.

It is comparable to a person who (only) gets clean of illicit drugs. Their physical health will see improvement, but their spiritual & postmortem "health" remains dire unless they tend to that, too.

4. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+11,620
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Is there some sort of sports-related reason why they should have to be dressed in bikinis (I don't know...range of motion, maybe?), or is it a ratings-related reason? I strongly suspect it's the latter. The Norwegian team should be allowed to wear less revealing uniforms.

5. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+3,642
    Christian
    Private
    probably ultimatly ratings, but I also suspect thta they want everyone to wear something simular that way if all a norewegian player wins they can't be accused of it being the uniform.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,562
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If Christians had positioned themselves as combatants for justice and defenders of the less powerful, they’d have been in a great position to sign on to this.

Oh well.

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+14,241
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I think most "liberals" wouldn't particularly care all that much about such a trivial issue. Maybe some feminists, but that's a distinct political doctrine from liberalism, which has to do with political power and its limits, not how much skin you show on TV.

8. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+5,173
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    It's not just the women's handball players who are fighting back against sexist uniforms. The female gymnasts are also kicking back against totally unnecessary conventions forcing them to wear revealing clothing.

In a monumentally stupid case of double standards a Paralympic world champion long jumper, competing at the English Championships, was told that her sprint briefs were "too short and inappropriate".

Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, female handball players are forced to wear skimpy bikini bottoms.

For years, female athletes have had their clothing policed. Now, they're fighting back - CNN Style

OB

9. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+12,616
    United States
    Married
    Just go back to the original uniforms.

10. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+3,642
    Christian
    Private
    yeah everyone naked!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Subduction Zone

+10,719
    Atheist
    Single
    Perish the thought!:eek: Though quite a few females and even some males would disagree with me.

12. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,116
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Shirts and skins?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+3,642
    Christian
    Private
    I'm so glad when they stopped doing shirts and skins for war.

14. Subduction Zone

+10,719
    Atheist
    Single
    I don't know. They would tend to buck at the idea of women being force to wear clothes that are a bit too sexual. And of course many Christians tend to be sadly against sex, except under very limited conditions.

I am going against my own interests here. By the way, did you not see the difference between the men's and the women's uniforms? The men's uniforms do not seem to emphasize their, ahem, assets. From watching various YouTube videos I can assure you that the women's uniforms do.

15. Subduction Zone

+10,719
    Atheist
    Single
    You are half right;)

16. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+14,241
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Yes, I think allowing women athletes to wear the same clothes as men wouldn't be a bad thing.

No, I don't agree with conservative Christians that showing skin on TV is horrible. I don't sexualize naked bodies in the first place.

17. Sabertooth

+5,373
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG] (I don't think that fig leaves would be durable enough... [​IMG])

18. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,908
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    They and the German gymnastics team do have valid points indeed.

19. Subduction Zone

+10,719
    Atheist
    Single
    It is pretty hard for me not to. Now if a woman wants to wear less I am all for it, and I will thank them. But I can't see forcing a woman to wear less than she wants to. That begins to feel a bit rapey to me.

20. Sabertooth

+5,373
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG] (It is a step up from the 2014 Colombian Women's Cycling Team, though... [​IMG])