not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
New Jersey Boy, 11, Dies from Apparent Allergic Reaction Seemingly Prompted by Smell of Cooking Fish

A boy from Piscataway, New Jersey, was reported dead on New Year’s Day after he had what appeared to be an allergic reaction, authorities confirm to PEOPLE.

As of Monday afternoon, New York City’s Chief Medical Examiner had yet to determine 11-year-old Cameron Jean-Pierre’s cause and manner of death, a rep from the office tells PEOPLE.

They stopped by and left, but went back again because they had forgotten something, the boy’s mother, Jody Pottingr, told the outlet. By the time the pair entered for the second time, the grandmother had started cooking a Caribbean dish called salt fish.

An NYPD spokesperson tells PEOPLE that the boy showed signs of an allergic reaction. He lost consciousness, and his father tried to administer CPR and treat him with a nebulizer, Eyewitness News 7 reports. About 15 minutes later his family called 911.

New Jersey Boy, 11, Dies from Apparent Allergic Reaction Seemingly Prompted by Smell of Cooking Fish

*** I made a mistake, wrong title

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very sad, especially on New Year's Day and so young. He was allergic to fish and has asthma, so it's not as weird as it is depressing. I feel for the poor family, couldn't imagine.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Some people are THAT allergic to things.

It's amazing how ignorant the general public is to allergic reactions.

I had a friend in college deathly allergic to peanuts, the type of allergic where his throat will swell shut inside of 15 minutes and he will die without an immediate empi shot and being rushed to the hospital.

Another friend invited us to her house for her birthday party so a bunch of us went.
Her mom was a sweetheart Southern bell and she cooked this giant feast. She made an award winning pecan pie and at the end of the meal she gave each of us a piece.

My friend turns white as a ghost and says, "sorry, I can't eat that, I'm allergic to peanuts"
She replied, "Its really good, you can just have a bite"
He replies, "Sorry, I can't, I'm allergic"
Without missing a beat she cuts his piece in half and replies, "Well, one little bite won't kill you"
I reply, "actually, yes it will. If he takes one little bite it will quite literally kill him"

She just looks at us and tilts her head and you can see the wheels turning in her head. She didn't believe us but she smiled and took the pie back.

A lot of the public believes that allergies are the stuff of movies. True, there is a sliding scale of allergic reaction, "most" people who are allergic their reactions aren't life threatening but if you are on the 0.1% part of that bell curve where the allergic reaction is life threatening, it is very very scary.

It is my belief that if you are on that part of the bell curve that you should treat all food and kitchens and restaurants as poison and poison factories and stay clear of them. You should prepare all of your own food or have someone you trust prepare your food 100% of the time.

It is always sad hearing about these sorts of things.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0