USA
✟952,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is the proper time and place for these sorts of protests?

That is the domain of protesters to decide. They’ve had no difficulty making arrangements to make themselves heard.

I don't believe that decorum is actually the issue. I believe that's (for the most part) merely a convenient cover thrown up by folks who don't like the substance of these protests.

I don’t pretend to speak for others. I shared my opinion and in my world the behavior is viewed as a breach in decorum. There are still many who live with similar principles. To assume it’s a cover is to deny the reality that some behaviors are unsavory and aren’t overlooked for the ‘bigger issue’ by all.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a time and place to protest what goes on in the country. During an anthem is not the place. He just wanted the attention and he got it. And a week from now no one will remember his name anyways. If you can't respect the flag then why stay in the country? There are obviously better countries to go to if one feels the need to think this one is broken.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The pledge says, I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the republic for which it stands. It tells you what you are pledging allegiance to. If it means nothing, then the republic means nothing. And if you are supposed to represent your country like he was and it means nothing to you then you are in the wrong place. Symbols matter. And if they don't it reveals your opinion of what they are supposed to represent. Respecting the flag means respecting the country. And it matters to no one if you are only respecting your imagination of what the country ought to be.
How do you know that the flag (or the National Anthem in this case) meant nothing to him?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a time and place to protest what goes on in the country. During an anthem is not the place. He just wanted the attention and he got it. And a week from now no one will remember his name anyways. If you can't respect the flag then why stay in the country? There are obviously better countries to go to if one feels the need to think this one is broken.
So no one should try fix or bring attention to what they think is broken in this country?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, it isn't like billions of people died for what the anthem represents or anything...oh wait...
I get the point. The number is not in the billions but I get the point you’re making.

Since we’re on that point, what does the anthem represent? And can different people have different interpretations of what it means to them?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it isn't like billions of people died for what the anthem represents or anything...oh wait...

You right, billions of people have not died for it (USA)

To stand firm and follow the flag of your nation is one thing. To be upset when some dont stand when the national anthem is sounding is another.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So no one should try fix or bring attention to what they think is broken in this country?
People should always bring things to attention. But in the right ways. Maybe protests. Maybe petitions. Maybe writing letters or calling gov officials. Contacting the news with a group that wants to protest. There are many ways.

Me? I am American but am not really a patriotic "GO 'MERICA!" kind of person. I don't care to much about Americas future/fate. However I still respect the flag and anthem because of what is about. Which one of them is thankfulness. Being thankful you can at least complain in this country. More reason to respect the flag. Soldiers died so people can be as terrible as they want sadly.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People should always bring things to attention. But in the right ways. Maybe protests. Maybe petitions. Maybe writing letters or calling gov officials. Contacting the news with a group that wants to protest. There are many ways.

Me? I am American but am not really a patriotic "GO 'MERICA!" kind of person. I don't care to much about Americas future/fate. However I still respect the flag and anthem because of what is about. Which one of them is thankfulness. Being thankful you can at least complain in this country. More reason to respect the flag. Soldiers died so people can be as terrible as they want sadly.
I’m not sure how effective kneeling during the Anthem is towards bringing attention to a specific point but it is a form of protest.

I personally don’t feel reverence for the flag or Anthem but that has more to do with over saturation of both within the US. That and not being a fan of ceremony.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you can't respect the flag then why stay in the country? There are obviously better countries to go to if one feels the need to think this one is broken.
Easy, there, Bulldog. I did a 4-year hitch (and 18 as a Navy brat) so people could have 1st amendment rights. Maybe you're living in the wrong country. I hear there's plenty to choose from, especially if you don't want to be able to say what's on your mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You right, billions of people have not died for it (USA)

To stand firm and follow the flag of your nation is one thing. To be upset when some dont stand when the national anthem is sounding is another.
Yeah, they only have the right to disrespect the anthem, because they live in a country where freedom is a reality. It has nothing to do with the president or liking the government, it has to do with believing in the right to freedom and liberty, so I find it odd and disturbing that people disrespect the very thing that gives them choices. But then, I'm not required to have any respect for those people.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, they only have the right to disrespect the anthem, because they live in a country where freedom is a reality. It has nothing to do with the president or liking the government, it has to do with believing in the right to freedom and liberty, so I find it odd and disturbing that people disrespect the very thing that gives them choices. But then, I'm not required to have any respect for those people.
Neither the Anthem nor the flag confers any freedoms. One can appreciate the Constitution and the freedoms it guarantees whether or not they respect the symbols or follow traditions associated with them.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have trouble agreeing with your assumption that kneeling for the anthem is meant to disrespect the anthem as such. I have to allow that the meaning being expressed is something else entirely.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither the Anthem nor the flag confers any freedoms. One can appreciate the Constitution and the freedoms it guarantees whether or not they respect the symbols or follow traditions associated with them.
That's absurd. It's too bad the public schools don't start each day with the pledge of allegiance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's too bad the public schools don't start each day with the pledge of allegiance.

To bad that there are not more like you out there.

My wife teaches 3rd grade and agrees with you.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's absurd. It's too bad the public schools don't start each day with the pledge of allegiance.
How is it absurd?

And, yes, the schools do still say the pledge. Not that I agree with keeping it in schools.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards to the OP article, this athlete broke his agreement with the USOC to not use these games as a political platform. Agree or disagree with his decision to kneel, he will likely face the repercussions of his choice to break his agreement with his sponsoring organization.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a person chooses to do on his own time about the flag is his business. I may not agree with him, but he can still do as he sees fit on his own. But not at a function such as this one. He should be expelled and sent home with no trophy.

Upvote 0