✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Today at 08:47 PM TheBear said this in Post #21 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649288#post649288)

strathyboy,

Please don't reduce this to personal attacks.

Thanks.

It wasn't meant to be a personal attack. It just seemed contradictory to the beliefs most Christians claim; that is, to help those in need. If you refuse that merely because people criticize often unrelated military policy, it does not seem to be in keeping with Christian beliefs.
Again, no offense to you intended. As most who posted in this thread are Christian as well, they might also want to explain their views in light of Christianity.

Upvote 0
Today at 08:53 PM TheBear said this in Post #24 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649303#post649303)

Lacmeh,

I have lost any respect I had for the UN. They are ineffective and irellevant. The resolutions they make, are not backed up or enforced. Resolution 1441 is a clear example of that. They need to either get it together or disolve.

Would you support UN action against Israel, the world's worst offender in terms of ignoring UN resolutions?

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
TheBear, but still the US wants a seat and wants veto right. The UN is so ineffective, because of those said veto rights. Basicalyl the five nations with veto right can block anything going against their agenda. Be it resolutions against North Korea, Israel, Iraq or any other state, that has ties to one of the veto nations. Or if one of the veto nations is upset with another one or wants to make a little side pact for giving agreement.
Taht´s the problem with the UN.

Of course, only a majority vote isn´t good either. Because many nations have only lip service to democracy or republic or are flat out oligarchies/dictatorships.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
Well, I would think, that the full pull out of regular US troops wouldn´t hurt the nations, from which those are pulled out that much.
As for humanitarian aid, this must not stop. Let´s not forget, that the entire First world feeds on the Third World countries. Only when actuaqlly fair wages for the work done there would get paid, there wouldn´t be an obligation for providing humanitarian aid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Today at 09:06 PM TheBear said this in Post #30 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649338#post649338)

So, tell me, strathyboy, do you think the US should withdraw all troops and stop all humanitarian aid?

I think it depends on the situation. Just like the US refuses to make a cover-all decision in regards to world politics, I do the same.
Generally speaking, I am not in favor of withdrawing humanitarian aid.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 04:11 PM Lacmeh said this in Post #33 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649349#post649349)

As for humanitarian aid, this must not stop. Let´s not forget, that the entire First world feeds on the Third World countries. Only when actuaqlly fair wages for the work done there would get paid, there wouldn´t be an obligation for providing humanitarian aid.

Why? What business is it of ours how a country is faring? We should keep our noses out of other countries' problems. After all, what difference does it make wether the people of a country are starving to death, dying of AIDS, or just plain ol' being subject to genocide?

Upvote 0
Today at 09:20 PM TheBear said this in Post #36 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649372#post649372)

Why? What business is it of ours how a country is faring? We should keep our noses out of other contries problems. After all, what difference does it make wether the people of a country are starving to death, dying of AIDS, or just plain ol' being subject to genocide?

Can you give you reasoning behind that statement?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
TheBear, those said countriesd wouldn´t be in the predicament they are in now, if the First World wouldn´t exploit them. I don´t really think, that humanitarian aid would be necessary, if the First World would pay fair prices for the goods purchased in the Thrid World, or the work done in the Third World. It is solely the fault of the First World, that there is this huge North South discrepancy and it is in the best interest of the First World, that it remains so. Giving humanitarian aid is a poor way to recompensate for this behavior, far more honest would be starting to treat those countries we currently exploit like first World countries. But the greed of the corporations prohibits it. Which is in part coming around in the shape of the world economy crisis we face now. (But that´s another theme)

Please note, that msot of the problems were caused by the First World in the first place, so it is surely our responsibility to fix them. Therefore the humanitarian aid.

In short, we broke it, therefore we have to fix it.

Upvote 0
Isn't it our duty as Christians to feed the fatherless and the widow? to give food and clothing to those who have not? and come to the aid of the oppressed? I don't remember Jesus defining geographic borders when he said that.

It seems to me we are called to do the right thing both personally and as a country, and the right thing is always to look out for, protect and help our neighbor. The Good Samaritan was of a different race, country and culture, yet he stopped and even spent his own money to help someone else. He very probably did not receive any thanks for it. The only place we should look for approval and thanks is from God.

Upvote 0