• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Am I at risk???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuki Usagi

Sep 26, 2008
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That also depends on what you mean by 'feeling' like eating, a lot of times people will be hungry, yet not "feel' like eating because of whatever reason. At those times it's not really good to not eat. I know there are different circumstances to everyone's story, so it is between that person and their doctors. It's not normal to skip meals, everyone should have at least three meals a day to fuel your body, but it is better to have five small meals a day. By skipping meals it screws with your metabolism and just your body in general. Everyone has different bodies, so the size of meals all depends on what your body needs, which should probably be decided between you and a doctor.

I just took her own term saying that if she didn't "feel like eating"... (Not to talk about you as if you aren't in the room,Godsgirlalways. I'm just trying to explain). I actually don't know what you meant, Godsgirlalways, when you said that, but I know what I felt when it happened to me. I would be hungry but just not interested in food at the moment, mentally, and I think that the two should get together before someone eats because it's just going to cause indigestion if the food isn't wanted by both. Attitude toward it makes a difference as to how it goes down.

I've been forced to eat when I didn't want to, and forced to eat things I hated (not veggies, either... gross things like cream puffs...:sick:...eww) and so I was just wanting to point out that there is a danger of the person ending up on the opposite end of eating disorders from being forced to eat.

I am not really sure what's been going on lately but lately at times I go through phrases where I eat only a meal a day usually between #-# at night. When I go through the phrase it lasts for alittle while. At times I get hungry and even though I know I am hungry I won't eat at times because I just don't feel like it..
I've talked to lots of thin people and remember how it was when I was thin. I was never anorexic, neither are the people I've talked to. Also, I've read online blogs and answers to questions at forums, etc, who say that hunger for them isn't an emergency that they feel they need to take care of right away where heavy people do.

Isn't an eating disorder when the person is obsessed with food, one way or another... thinking about it all the time, always wanting to eat, and either giving in to that all the time and eating when they aren't hungry, or not letting themselves eat for days at a time?

Actually, the best thing is to consult a doctor because parents and friends can misdiagnose and that was my point. Thanks for making me be more specific in what I mean.

Is it clearer now? It seems to me that I've got it more jumbled up than it was in the first place. :o

But, I tried.

:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know I'm coming in late on this thread and maybe lots of people here will want to throw rocks at me but... I think if you don't feel like eating you shouldn't force yourself and that your family etc., are making too big of a deal out of it.

Please forgive me all of you who think differently. As I said in another post, I was happily eating only when I felt like it and my parents got all riled up about it and today I'm having the opposite problem. I'm overweight and I believe that's what caused it; trying to eat for other people. Now I eat for at least two. And I'm not with child.

I'm not trying to change anyone here, just relating my experience with this type of situation.

Oh okay, sometimes I worry about that, I don't want to get to that point either, I don't like depending on food, needing or wanting it. At times, when I realize I am eating more(like three meals a day) sometimes it bothers me, and worrys me a bit. So then I cut to go back to eating just a meal or two a day instead.

Yeah, I talked to about three people about it last week my dad and his parents. I mentioned while eating dinner I was hungry because I didn't eat anything today. He didn't really mention it at the time, but he mentioned it to my grandparents(his parents) and they were telling me how it's important to eat three meals and all. How it's not good to not eat and all.

I understand their point but I know it isn't as easy as it sounds.

That also depends on what you mean by 'feeling' like eating, a lot of times people will be hungry, yet not "feel' like eating because of whatever reason. At those times it's not really good to not eat. I know there are different circumstances to everyone's story, so it is between that person and their doctors. It's not normal to skip meals, everyone should have at least three meals a day to fuel your body, but it is better to have five small meals a day. By skipping meals it screws with your metabolism and just your body in general. Everyone has different bodies, so the size of meals all depends on what your body needs, which should probably be decided between you and a doctor.

Oh okay, by feel like eating. It's like I could be sitting here hungry, but it's like I am hungry and kinda want to eat but don't feel like eating I think it's mentally and physically not wanting to eat.

I just took her own term saying that if she didn't "feel like eating"... (Not to talk about you as if you aren't in the room,Godsgirlalways. I'm just trying to explain). I actually don't know what you meant, Godsgirlalways, when you said that, but I know what I felt when it happened to me. I would be hungry but just not interested in food at the moment, mentally, and I think that the two should get together before someone eats because it's just going to cause indigestion if the food isn't wanted by both. Attitude toward it makes a difference as to how it goes down.

I've been forced to eat when I didn't want to, and forced to eat things I hated (not veggies, either... gross things like cream puffs...:sick:...eww) and so I was just wanting to point out that there is a danger of the person ending up on the opposite end of eating disorders from being forced to eat.

I've talked to lots of thin people and remember how it was when I was thin. I was never anorexic, neither are the people I've talked to. Also, I've read online blogs and answers to questions at forums, etc, who say that hunger for them isn't an emergency that they feel they need to take care of right away where heavy people do.

Isn't an eating disorder when the person is obsessed with food, one way or another... thinking about it all the time, always wanting to eat, and either giving in to that all the time and eating when they aren't hungry, or not letting themselves eat for days at a time?

Actually, the best thing is to consult a doctor because parents and friends can misdiagnose and that was my point. Thanks for making me be more specific in what I mean.

Is it clearer now? It seems to me that I've got it more jumbled up than it was in the first place. :o

But, I tried.

:cool:

Oh okay, I think I understand what your trying to say:)

Upvote 0

Yuki Usagi

Sep 26, 2008
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you don't feel like eating, do you feel like maybe drinking a shake? There are some pretty delicious types of protein shakes and instant breakfasts etc... or Insure. Have you tried that? That way you would be getting nutrition and all. Oh, did you read about the zinc and copper helping? I wish I knew you better but I'm still no expert. Wish I could help more.

I am praying for you in this that you will find what's right for you. :prayer:

:hug:

Upvote 0

Yuki Usagi

Sep 26, 2008
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
??Zinc and copper??

It helps you as in helping to keep you full longer? Or helps with protien?

I can't insert links so I will copy and paste the entire post here, by LifeKnowingJesus (sorry, they won't show numbers but maybe you can PM her and ask her further if they are important to you--the percentage in the title is eighty-five percent--that's a great percentage) I really hope this helps you:

85% Remission Rate!What Changed Everything!Anorexica Gone Forever!6 Mo And Counting
One word: Zinc.

My Story

I took Zinc for the first time about six months ago, after my psychiatrist gave it to me (i had just told him about everything that had been going on for a number of years). Later that dayafter taking it the Anorexia left and never came back. I literally I no longer saw someone fat in the mirror. I no longer felt bad about myself. I no longer felt ugly. (In fact, I think I'm pretty!). I had been zinc deficient (most people who have anorexia and bulimia are you will see in the research) and the Zinc changed my BRAINso that my mind was right, so that the thoughts and feelings and behaviors were gone, and the distortion of my body image disappeared. I never had to deal with it again. I don't even think of it except when I'm appreciating my ability to enjoy food!

I take Zinc # mg with # mg of Copper, the Copper is important with the Zinc.

The Research

"Features of the illness: Physiological: ...Abnornalities of mineral and electrolyte levels in the body, Zinc deficiency"

Studies have been done that show Zinc has been effective in reducing or eliminating the self-image distortion of anorexia for Anorexics.

"The release also cites a Journal For Medical Research article by Dr. Alex Schauss, which reported studies at Stanford University, the University of Kentucky, and the University of California at Davis which found most anorexics and bulimics were zinc-deficient. According to the release, a five-year study showed an eighty five percent remission rate for anorexia patients given zinc supplements. According to Dr. Barbara Levine, Director of the Nutrition Information Center at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, zinc-rich foods include red meat, seafood, cheese, and nuts."

"These findings have led some scientists to suggest that zinc deficiency may actually play a role in the causation of anorexia nervosa. The role between zinc and eating behaviour may be connected to a brain chemical known as neuropeptide Y (NPY), the main function of which is to stimulate eating. Generally speaking, restriction of food causes an increase in NPY levels. Animal research has discovered, however, that zinc deficiency blunts the increase in NPY in response to food restriction. The results of this research suggest that zinc deficiency may quell the normal urge to eat more should food be rationed."

"...there is at least some evidence that disordered physiology may play a role in the development of the condition too. In particular, research has suggested that anorexia may be related to a deficiency in the mineral zinc. Zinc deficiency has been found to be a common feature in anorexics, and it has been noted that zinc deficiency and anorexia nervosa have symptoms in common which include poor appetite, weight loss, nausea and cessation of periods (amenorrhea)."

"People who don't consume zinc may become seriously anorexic, with little desire and even a repulsion for eating. For many young, weight-conscious women, and often the elderly, not eating becomes a state of mind and is considered a serious psychiatric disorder.

"...For people trying to recover from anorexia, or those who are having trouble holding onto body weight, I believe our work strengthens earlier findings that recommend the use of zinc supplements," Shay said. "Another lab has shown that zinc supplements have led to greater recovery rates."

" The use of zinc in the treatment of anorexia nervosa has been advocated since # by Bakan."

"Insufficient zinc has been linked to anorexia, which responds well to zinc replacement treatment."

"Zinc deficiency has also been detected in people with anorexia or bulimia in most,nineeen, twenty though not all, twenty one studies. In addition, some of the manifestations of zinc deficiency, such as reduced appetite, taste, and smell, are similar to symptoms observed in some cases of anorexia or bulimia."

"A # study (Birmingham and Gritzner) reports that low zinc levels create dynamics in the brain that are similar to those seen with anorexia nervosa. The study found that giving zinc to a group of persons with anorexia produced a significant improvement in body mass index compared to a group of anorexic persons not receiving zinc. Birmingham and Gritzner suggest that zinc deficiencies make neurotransmitters less effective. When this problem is corrected with zinc therapy in those with anorexia, they conclude, the resulting improvement in brain functioning creates an improvement in anorexia symptoms...."

"What is interesting is that such an inexpensive and widely-available mineral shows promise, by itself, in establishing better brain functioning in this group."

"If you have anorexia, [take] fifity mg a day of this essential mineral, along with one to three mg per day of copper."

"It's important to check with your doctor before beginning a course of zinc therapy, however, because too much zinc can result in other problems in brain functioning (Flinn et al., #). Medical assistance will help regulate zinc at the proper level for you."

And it's been six months and counting, she says.

It sounds awesome, doesn't it? :angel: God bless you, Sweetheart. I hope you will try it and I hope it works for you... ! I'm praying for you!

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh sweetie :hug: It sounds a lot like how I started out being anorexic when I was sixteen years old...I suggest to talk to your mom, as hard as that sounds, or at least to your doctor. I'm here if you ever want to talk.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Oh okay thanks I will be working on that, the smoothies are good but the only thing is they don't fill you up as much as regular food so you have to drink one for breakfast and lunch instead of having one and spiltting it up. Also I working on eating apples throughout the day, trying to view it more like snacking instead of eating which helps. Also I am praying for God to help me out with my eating habits, and it's been helping I actually felt like I have been eating alot today, but not really trying to look at it in a bad way but moreso in a good way.

Upvote 0

Yuki Usagi

Sep 26, 2008
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It takes a while, sometimes to find what will work for each of us, because we are all so different.

I'm very glad you are making progress! One step at a time. And prayer is so powerful in changing things. I'm agreeing with you in prayer and I'm very happy to hear you're working on this. :prayer:

I don't know what a smoothie is. I do know that lots of shakes (like Atkins,Insure,Gain Fast, Cyto Gainer, etc.) are thick and can fill you up, while providing nutrition when you don't feel like eating.

The goal is to have you nourished and satisfied when you feel hungry but don't want to eat. Apples are great for you. I'm proud of you!

I am rooting for you, God's Girl!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godslilgurlalways

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thanks:) It has been helping me out alot, I have been eating apples as well. I think it's helping me to be able to eat like I should now. Where I am not eating too much or too little. I love the smoothies (shakes) they are wonderful:) Now, I am eating alot better at dinner time because it's not like I am full or really hungry when dinner time comes around which is Good. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers I apppericate it, talking about shakes I think I am going to go fix one now because I am getting hungry and I have to leave in an hour for bible study:)

Destiny:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.