Altus Prosator, Columba & Celtic Orthodoxy: What's Good or Bad within it?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You all might find this interesting. I'd like to be able to support this effort monetarily. Maybe someday soon!

THE ORTHODOX MONASTERY OF ALL CELTIC SAINTS

Mary
Just now seeing this thread. When I have more time, I'd like to try to catch up on it.

I have some interest in this, and a pretty good friend on FB who is an Archpriest, WR, who has tried to explain to me his connection (and lack of) with the Church because of issues of canonicity regarding the Celts. I think he is technically canonical, but not through the route he wanted, and is hoping to be able to change someday. I don't quite understand but I do see it's something that is apparently controversial.

At any rate - this link is wonderful, Mary. :) I ran across this as a link on FB at some point, I think, when Fr. Seraphim was just starting all this. I find the podcasts and his blog posts to be wonderful, though there hasn't been a new post in some time. I think it's a case of one man stretched too thin. I hope he has time to continue at some point, and when I'm able, I would like to support this effort as well. (Btw, Fr. Seraphim Aldea - in the podcasts - is not the friend I mentioned in the first paragraph that got me interested in the topic to begin with.)

Also I want to subscribe for updates to this thread. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You might like this too, then, GxG. Another friend sent it to me on FB, but I've only listened to about half so far. This is Fr. Seraphim Aldea as well.

Fr. Seraphim
Many thanks for that Kylissa :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Y
Many thanks for that Kylissa :)
You're very welcome!

I really like "Through a Monk's Eyes" and I hope he has a chance to make more! I think he's been too busy traveling, trying to get help to build the monastery.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Y

You're very welcome!

I really like "Through a Monk's Eyes" and I hope he has a chance to make more! I think he's been too busy traveling, trying to get help to build the monastery.
Hoping the work continues to grow :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hoping the work continues to grow :)
Me too.

He's back to recording again, for which I'm very thankful. And he was recently in a small city near my family, so I suppose if I'd known in time I might have gone there and met him. But at any rate, I'm glad he is recording again. He has taught on a range of topics that often surprisingly well address questions I have in my own life.

And if ever I am able to travel, Iona is now definitely on my wish list. :)

I pray his work continues to grow well.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Me too.

He's back to recording again, for which I'm very thankful. And he was recently in a small city near my family, so I suppose if I'd known in time I might have gone there and met him. But at any rate, I'm glad he is recording again. He has taught on a range of topics that often surprisingly well address questions I have in my own life.

Iona is definitely on my list as well...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Me too.

You would probably appreciate this much...

Understanding the Celtic Saints - Through a Monk's Eyes | Ancient Faith Ministries
Father Seraphim reflects on why he refrains from going into detail about Celtic saints during the…
ANCIENTFAITH.COM

Three Pilgrimages to the Celtic Isles - Summer 2016
The Monastery of All Celtic Saints is absolutely delighted to announce that we shall lead three new Pilgrimages to the Celtic Isles of Scotland over the summer of 2016. We shall visit some o...
MULLMONASTERY.COM

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Gxg. :) I've been checking on him pretty regularly since something popped up on Facebook a little while back. It's probably about time for another new one. But I just started a special series that I'd like to finish, and I checked today - it's a solid 12+ hours. That's going to take me a few days right now.

Who am I kidding ... Fr. Seraphim will probably post a new one, and I'll probably take a break from the special series to listen to it. Somehow his are always so calming. :)

You would probably appreciate this much...

Understanding the Celtic Saints - Through a Monk's Eyes | Ancient Faith Ministries
Father Seraphim reflects on why he refrains from going into detail about Celtic saints during the…
ANCIENTFAITH.COM

Three Pilgrimages to the Celtic Isles - Summer 2016
The Monastery of All Celtic Saints is absolutely delighted to announce that we shall lead three new Pilgrimages to the Celtic Isles of Scotland over the summer of 2016. We shall visit some o...
MULLMONASTERY.COM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Gxg. :) I've been checking on him pretty regularly since something popped up on Facebook a little while back. It's probably about time for another new one. But I just started a special series that I'd like to finish, and I checked today - it's a solid 12+ hours. That's going to take me a few days right now.

Who am I kidding ... Fr. Seraphim will probably post a new one, and I'll probably take a break from the special series to listen to it. Somehow his are always so calming. :)
Very true :)

I've not checked in on him as often as I did before, although I've been keeping up a bit on the military history and culture of the British Isles and Ireland since it does make a world of difference with seeing how the culture was before, during and after the saints came in :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He put up several more but has stopped once again. I'm sure life is very hectic, traveling, trying to raise funds, producing podcasts, and all else. Hopefully he will be able to continue at some point. I think the podcasts were a very good way of reaching people. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He put up several more but has stopped once again. I'm sure life is very hectic, traveling, trying to raise funds, producing podcasts, and all else. Hopefully he will be able to continue at some point. I think the podcasts were a very good way of reaching people. :)
I do pray for his strength in the matter. It's interesting how his work, despite his active promotion of it, still seems obscure in other places.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just found out recently that the new Star Wars Movies were actually made in Ireland. Fascinating they filmed the site at an ancient Irish monastery, which one of my friends living in Ireland was able to go during the filming :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cool - did not know this!
I did not know it either but it's an interesting way to bring others into a greater awareness of Orthodox Monastic culture. It definitely makes me wish to go to Ireland all the more :)

Skellig+Michael+7+LRsmall.jpg

Skellig-Michael-beehive-small.jpg

resized-832-284463SkelligIslands-1680x1050.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"The Church in The British Isles will only begin to grow when She begins to again venerate Her own Saints"
(Saint Arsenios of Paros †1877)
Speaking of the Church in the British Isles and others who wish to introduce Orthodoxy to the Isles (As they understand it), I'm not certain if others here are aware.....but in the event that it is not something others here are aware of, I thought it'd be noteworthy to point out that the British Orthodox Church is no longer under the Patriarchate of Alexandria. For reference:

This is from their home page:

The British Orthodox Church is a small autonomous Orthodox jurisdiction, originally deriving from the Syrian Orthodox Church. It was canonically part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria from 1994-2015, before amicably returning to its original status in order to fulfil its mission more effectively. n fulfillment to what it sees as its current mission in the light of the developments and changing dynamics of the Middle East and Britain.

And this is from their page as well:

The Coptic Orthodox Church (COC) has been present in Britain since the 1960s, and through its ministry became known to the British Orthodox Church of the British Isles (BOC). Subsequently, in 1994 the BOC approached the COC with a view to becoming part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria, and upon acceptance and agreement of this new relationship, a protocol was signed in 1994, since when the BOC has been a full and effective part of the Patriarchate.

In the same spirit with which this union came into being at the request of the BOC in 1994, it is now agreed, again at its request, that the BOC will return to its pre-1994 status in fulfillment to what it sees as its current mission in the light of the developments and changing dynamics of the Middle East and Britain.

We will continue to pray for our communities, our clergy and our people, that they effectively live and fulfil their Christian witness in Britain, and serve their wider community at a time when that faithful Christian presence is critical.

+Seraphim

HE Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury

+Angaelos

HG Bishop Angaelos General Bishop Coptic Orthodox Church United Kingdom

That mission is to the people of the British Isles, regardless of their ethnic and cultural background and is not the preserve of any one people.

Interesting to see how things progress....Due to being too closely associated with the Coptic world and yet having more British people to reach in their area, they felt that they needed to return to who they were for Evangelism purposes - and in a sense, the BOC is the OO equivalent of the OCA in Britain.

And I am not surprised since reaching out to others in British culture has been noted for some time when it came to not limiting things to where they developed ethnically...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of the Church in the British Isles and others who wish to introduce Orthodoxy to the Isles (As they understand it), I'm not certain if others here are aware.....but in the event that it is not something others here are aware of, I thought it'd be noteworthy to point out that the British Orthodox Church is no longer under the Patriarchate of Alexandria. For reference:

This is from their home page:

The British Orthodox Church is a small autonomous Orthodox jurisdiction, originally deriving from the Syrian Orthodox Church. It was canonically part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria from 1994-2015, before amicably returning to its original status in order to fulfil its mission more effectively. n fulfillment to what it sees as its current mission in the light of the developments and changing dynamics of the Middle East and Britain.

And this is from their page as well:

The Coptic Orthodox Church (COC) has been present in Britain since the 1960s, and through its ministry became known to the British Orthodox Church of the British Isles (BOC). Subsequently, in 1994 the BOC approached the COC with a view to becoming part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria, and upon acceptance and agreement of this new relationship, a protocol was signed in 1994, since when the BOC has been a full and effective part of the Patriarchate.

In the same spirit with which this union came into being at the request of the BOC in 1994, it is now agreed, again at its request, that the BOC will return to its pre-1994 status in fulfillment to what it sees as its current mission in the light of the developments and changing dynamics of the Middle East and Britain.

We will continue to pray for our communities, our clergy and our people, that they effectively live and fulfil their Christian witness in Britain, and serve their wider community at a time when that faithful Christian presence is critical.

+Seraphim

HE Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury

+Angaelos

HG Bishop Angaelos General Bishop Coptic Orthodox Church United Kingdom

That mission is to the people of the British Isles, regardless of their ethnic and cultural background and is not the preserve of any one people.

Interesting to see how things progress....Due to being too closely associated with the Coptic world and yet having more British people to reach in their area, they felt that they needed to return to who they were for Evangelism purposes - and in a sense, the BOC is the OO equivalent of the OCA in Britain.

That's very interesting. May God be glorified in all things ...

Upvote 0