Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Keeping the commandments did not make him perfect but it did give him life eternal.

Did he?

Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You say you agree but you don't based on previous posts. Lets just lay the cards on the table as the saying goes. You cherry pick part of my reply and ignore the rest. If not then answer this question, fully define your meaning of obedience. I will reiterate there is nothing any of us can do to secure Christs -, who is God, righteousness, nothing. Works will not gain you anything as all true works of a believer are attributed to Christ and the Holy Spirit not our selves. Look forward to your answer and response.
All of our good works are indeed attributed to Christ's teachings. Yet there are people who reject those teachings or turn from them, thus:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:19 - 22)

19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Jesus Christ asked us to FOLLOW Him. He gave us many examples of what we should do and said:

(New Testament | Matthew 25:40 - 46)

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

He also taught through parables like the parable of the good Samaritan so we would understand who our neighbor was.

This is the way we are to follow Christ's teachings:

(New Testament | James 1:22 - 27)

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The works are through obedience to Christ's teachings.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Did he?

Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
You left off the next two scriptures:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:25 - 26)

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You left off the next two scriptures:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:25 - 26)

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

That doesn't say he was saved. It stops talking about him specifically after he goes away sorrowfully and Jesus says: " It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't say he was saved. It stops talking about him specifically after he goes away sorrowfully and Jesus says: " It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Jesus said he was saved:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:17 - 19)

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said he was saved:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:17 - 19)

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

No He did not! It clearly says the young man went away sorrowfully and then Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." He did not say this young man was saved. You are putting words into the mouth of Jesus that He never said about this man! He may have been saved at some point, we do not know---but Jesus did not say He was saved! If he had been saved, he certainly would not have gone away sorrowfully, he would have gone away rejoicing!

• Agree
Reactions: CaspianSails
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No He did not! It clearly says the young man went away sorrowfully and then Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." He did not say this young man was saved. You are putting words into the mouth of Jesus that He never said about this man! He may have been saved at some point, we do not know---but Jesus did not say He was saved! If he had been saved, he certainly would not have gone away sorrowfully, he would have gone away rejoicing!
Jesus made it very clear what a person is to do to inherit eternal life. This is what He said:

(New Testament | Luke 10:25 - 28)

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

It is the keeping of the commandments.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Jesus made it very clear what a person is to do to inherit eternal life. This is what He said:

(New Testament | Luke 10:25 - 28)

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

It is the keeping of the commandments.

Yah---the young man kept them---still he went away sorrowful, not rejoicing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Are you trying to change the subject? Jesus told the same thing to two different people. Keep the commandments of LOVE and have eternal life.

I didn't change the subject---you are the one that mentioned a lawyer! You can keep the commandments all you want, if your heart is not with God while doing so---it gets you nowhere for God alone can read the heart. You can even do all your good works for nothing, you can still end up hearing this:

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It is the heart God is interested in and thast is what He will judge. Outward acts, done without actual love for God and man, get you nowhere!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I didn't change the subject---you are the one that mentioned a lawyer! You can keep the commandments all you want, if your heart is not with God while doing so---it gets you nowhere for God alone can read the heart. You can even do all your good works for nothing, you can still end up hearing this:

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It is the heart God is interested in and thast is what He will judge. Outward acts, done without actual love for God and man, get you nowhere!
Anyone who keeps the commandments of LOVE does LOVE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian