Colorado
✟433,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's those pesky hatchlings sneaking out to joyride in podmother's skimmer...
Yeah. Either that or the aliens are travelling more in time than space. Or whoknowswhat.

What I dont want to hear is: none of them are aliens. That just too boring.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,521.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There aren't many stars within a hundred lightyears with planets
Are you sure? According to the latest figures in the NASA exo-planet catalogue there are 359 planets detected within 100 light years. While only six of these are classified as terrestrial, the presence of the other planets coupled with our knowledge of planetary systems raises the probability that at least some of these will be accompanied by as yet undetected terrestrials. Not to mention ones yet to be found around stars with no planets currently known to be in orbit, as the resolution of our detection methods improve further. A sphere 100 light years in radius can hold a lot of stars.

Edit: developing the last point, there are thought to be over 500 G-type stars within that 100 ly limit. See here.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you sure? According to the latest figures in the NASA exo-planet catalogue there are 359 planets detected within 100 light years. While only six of these are classified as terrestrial, the presence of the other planets coupled with our knowledge of planetary systems raises the probability that at least some of these will be accompanied by as yet undetected terrestrials. Not to mention ones yet to be found around stars with no planets currently known to be in orbit, as the resolution of our detection methods improve further. A sphere 100 light years in radius can hold a lot of stars.
Exactly. That is "not many." What are the odds that of those 6 one of them would have a civilization capable of launching a starship? I'm thinking we need at least a 1,000 terrestrial planets before we find one populated and then advanced enough to be spacefaring. And if it's able to get into space, can it move that last bit and be interstellar? We just don't know what it takes and how to calculate the odds.

For all we know there are 40 different planetary species all floating around us just waiting to see if we manage to survive our climate crisis or not. If we do they all cheer and introduce us to Interstellar Pepsi. If not, oh well, too bad. Those UFOs we've been seeing are some Galactic Squid's teenager who took the family runabout and got spotted.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,521.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. That is "not many." What are the odds that of those 6 one of them would have a civilization capable of launching a starship? I'm thinking we need at least a 1,000 terrestrial planets before we find one populated and then advanced enough to be spacefaring. And if it's able to get into space, can it move that last bit and be interstellar? We just don't know what it takes and how to calculate the odds.

Perhaps you missed my point, which focuses on the meaning of "not many".
  • We have already detected six terrestrial planets within 100 light years
  • The commonest detection method is limited by the orbital orientation of the planet, so that a significant proportion of planets will evade detection by this method
  • Alien life, including intelligent alien life, does not necessarily require a terrestrial planet to evolve on.
  • Consequently we are likely an order of magnitude out on the number of potentially alien inhabited planets in the neighbourhood.
  • And I think 60 planets is more than "not many".

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps you missed my point, which focuses on the meaning of "not many".
  • We have already detected six terrestrial planets within 100 light years
  • The commonest detection method is limited by the orbital orientation of the planet, so that a significant proportion of planets will evade detection by this method
  • Alien life, including intelligent alien life, does not necessarily require a terrestrial planet to evolve on.
  • Consequently we are likely an order of magnitude out on the number of potentially alien inhabited planets in the neighbourhood.
  • And I think 60 planets is more than "not many".
Right, and so what are the best odds that we can figure that there is a spacefaring civilization out there within 100 lightyears? Based upon all the best guesses that anyone can muster...

If 60 planets can have life. How many DO have life? How many have intelligent life?

Of those how many have intelligent life that can reach space?

Of those how many have life that is capable of interstellar flight?

That's why I keep saying "not many." We have no real idea what that number looks like. And every modifier drops the number significantly. Heck, we don't really know if interstellar flight is even possible in any meaningful form. If the only way to do it is multi-generational is that really reasonable?

And I keep coming back to once accomplished are they really going to just play with our airplanes?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,572.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Right, and so what are the best odds that we can figure that there is a spacefaring civilization out there within 100 lightyears? Based upon all the best guesses that anyone can muster...

If 60 planets can have life. How many DO have life? How many have intelligent life?
Unknown .. (and that's not a 'guess' .. its a fact).
Phred said:
Phred said:

Phred said:
That's why I keep saying "not many." We have no real idea what that number looks like. And every modifier drops the number significantly. Heck, we don't really know if interstellar flight is even possible in any meaningful form. If the only way to do it is multi-generational is that really reasonable?
.. and does it matter whether that's 'reasonable' or not?

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,521.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

And I keep coming back to once accomplished are they really going to just play with our airplanes?
1. My main point is that if there are 60 terrestrial planets within 100 light years of the Earth, which the evidence suggests is likely, saying that is not many is an abuse of English qualifiers.
2. As to the odds of intelligent life, or any life, anywhere in the galaxy or universe: to estimate probabilities from a sample of one is great for bar-room conversation, but is not science.
3. If any of the still unidentified UFOs turn out to actually be alien craft, automatic, or 'manned', I should be more astounded than by anything I have yet observed in my life.
4. As to anticipating the behaviour. motivations and character of aliens, I think it is important to reflect on the meaning of "alien", and then to remain silent.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1. My main point is that if there are 60 terrestrial planets within 100 light years of the Earth, which the evidence suggests is likely, saying that is not many is an abuse of English qualifiers.
2. As to the odds of intelligent life, or any life, anywhere in the galaxy or universe: to estimate probabilities from a sample of one is great for bar-room conversation, but is not science.
3. If any of the still unidentified UFOs turn out to actually be alien craft, automatic, or 'manned', I should be more astounded than by anything I have yet observed in my life.
4. As to anticipating the behaviour. motivations and character of aliens, I think it is important to reflect on the meaning of "alien", and then to remain silent.
So as not to wander. I said there are not many stars within a hundred lightyears with planets. There are 359. I don't think that's very many. Considering how vast a sphere of 100 lightyears is... You're right however. Our ability to find them is ... lacking. So there are likely many more. I'll just give in on that one. There are a lot of planets out there. More than I thought.

I have no idea how much life is out there. None. Nobody does.

I don't for a moment believe or think that these UFOs are alien craft. If they are craft at all they are created here on earth. My point all along was to show how improbable it was to think that some civilization managed to find us and travel here. Then didn't bother to contact us.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,572.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
(Its also not mathematically valid, in the absence of real-life data for establishing parent distributions and thence have any measures of confidence in any particular sampling techniques, as well).
Ophiolite said:
Well, the term certainly doesn't have any objective meaning, or even any data there, whatsoever .. That implies any meaning would have to come from a belief .. so remaining silent is suggestive of not having much faith in such beliefs, (which is, I guess, what you're not saying there)? :)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,521.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well, the term certainly doesn't have any objective meaning,
I guess English isn't your native language, but any quality dictionary will help you out. If it you don't have one, just go with "strange" as the most applicable synonym, that's objective if no necessarily quantitative.
I usually don't see your posts, but go for it. Others will enjoy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,572.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I guess English isn't your native language, but any quality dictionary will help you out. If it you don't have one, just go with "strange" as the most applicable synonym, that's objective if no necessarily quantitative.
I usually don't see your posts, but go for it. Others will enjoy.
I was largely agreeing with what you said there .. (and adding some more perspectives for collective consideration).
(English is my native language).

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....4. As to anticipating the behaviour. motivations and character of aliens, I think it is important to reflect on the meaning of "alien", and then to remain silent.
We typically do A LOT of projecting when contemplating this.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Indeed. "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." Wittgenstein

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,521.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We typically do A LOT of projecting when contemplating this.
You've nailed it. I am often surprised when I see normally logical persons doubting, for example, that aliens would be unwilling to spend the huge amount of time for interstellar travel. The (unwarranted) assumption being that it because it would require a very large part of our lifetime, it would be the same for aliens (who might live for a thousand years, or-like microbes, just periodically split in two and thus experience a form of immortality). Similar assumptions populate nearly every objection to alien visitation. The assumptions might be valid, but there is no reason, apart from anthropocentric thinking, to believe that they are.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You've nailed it. I am often surprised when I see normally logical persons doubting, for example, that aliens would be unwilling to spend the huge amount of time for interstellar travel. The (unwarranted) assumption being that it because it would require a very large part of our lifetime, it would be the same for aliens (who might live for a thousand years, or-like microbes, just periodically split in two and thus experience a form of immortality). Similar assumptions populate nearly every objection to alien visitation. The assumptions might be valid, but there is no reason, apart from anthropocentric thinking, to believe that they are.
Right. And not just abilities, but motives too. I suppose its possible that our social psychology reiterates patterns that would typically arise among any intelligent techno-species. But its not at all certain.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it confusing. Clearly, a number of sinful fallen angels were cast out and chained in darkness awaiting judgment. But doesn't Satan go around like a roaring lion looking for whom to devour? Isn't he the prince of the power of the air?

IN Rev 2:

10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

12 To the angel of the church in Pergamum write:
These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know where you live—where Satan has his throne.

How does Satan have an earthly throne if he is chained in darkness awaiting judgment?

Maybe not all fallen angels are in chains? I don't know but from studying the alien subject they have a defined hierarchy.

The "alien" hierarchy:

1)Draco Reptilians (Dragon/Snake??--not clever satan)
--some claim they can shapeshift into humans
--sounds like an angel move not a Nephilim move
--supposedly Rothschilds claim to be part Draco Reptilian
2)Tall Greys
3) Small Grays
4)Nephilim (Bigfoot?)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What say you?

Interesting videos on the subject here.
Given that the volume of evidence came before cell phones with picture taking capabilities were in every persons hands>
Then no.

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What say you?

Interesting videos on the subject here.
I don't think there is any evidence of aliens unless I've missed something. I would not be a bit surprised if there are other species of intelligent life out there. I'd take it in stride unless they come down and start eating us or something. It would be like finding out that there are mountains or lakes on another planet. I'd ask for a ride in their starship. In fact, lately, when I see a UFO I wave my arms and I hope they come down so I could meet them. No luck so far.

Upvote 0