No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To go into details would take too long and would mostly be off-topic. They capture my interest and imagination. I think that's cool ;)
ok then - I’m going back to my spirits in the sky of which the life forms are soo!! Complex - we are too stupid to perceive them

Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Make sure He's the right one!

Earlytim.JPG

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Any of these things would result in a simple explanation from those who know to those who don’t know. But that’s not what we have, we have news outlets telling us that even experts in various fields have no clue what this stuff is. There’s no way that the planet Venus has stumped the entire world, if these sightings are simply things that you’ve listed it would be explained as such. I am the last person to eat up what the news says, but this stuff isn’t new it’s just new that the news has started making it an issue

Unfortunately the 'experts' are usually military people whose expertise is in the field of national security or airline pilots, who are experts in flying conventional aircraft; they are not experts at identifying objects in the night sky. Also, news outlets are given to publishing the most sensational interpretations of events, because these will sell well. A report that a car has been chased across the countryside by a low-altitude UFO is more likely to get into the newspapers or onto a website than the identification of the 'UFO' as Venus or Sirius.

To give an example, there was a British report about a young woman who saw a bright object in the northern sky for many nights in succession during autumn. A high-ranking RAF officer was called in to investigate, but he couldn't identify it. Any astronomer (amateur or professional) could have told both the woman and the RAF officer that this 'UFO' was the star Capella.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
Unfortunately the 'experts' are usually military people whose expertise is in the field of national security or airline pilots, who are experts in flying conventional aircraft; they are not experts at identifying objects in the night sky. Also, news outlets are given to publishing the most sensational interpretations of events, because these will sell well. A report that a car has been chased across the countryside by a low-altitude UFO is more likely to get into the newspapers or onto a website than the identification of the 'UFO' as Venus or Sirius.

To give an example, there was a British report about a young woman who saw a bright object in the northern sky for many nights in succession during autumn. A high-ranking RAF officer was called in to investigate, but he couldn't identify it. Any astronomer (amateur or professional) could have told both the woman and the RAF officer that this 'UFO' was the star Capella.
It fascinates me that none of the cameras got switch over to normal narrow field of view. Everything is in blurry IR. Here's betting it's all birds.

Upvote 0

Vap841

Jun 5, 2021
East Coast
✟39,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Some good points. I’m definitely not opposed to admitting that ignorance owns the world stage, and we’re living in a misinformation cesspool, I just don’t like how at least somebody is coming forth and shooting down each individual case one by one. So I do really like your example of how the woman and RAF officer were simply ignorant about the star Capella. That’s what I would like to see, someone explaining all of the examples away like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Some good points. I’m definitely not opposed to admitting that ignorance owns the world stage, and we’re living in a misinformation cesspool, I just don’t like how at least somebody is coming forth and shooting down each individual case one by one. So I do really like your example of how the woman and RAF officer were simply ignorant about the star Capella. That’s what I would like to see, someone explaining all of the examples away like that.
Emphasis added.

Most UFO sightings are either fully explained, or are furnished with an entirely plausible and highly probable explanation. The difficulty is that the small remaining percentage simply lack sufficient data to enable a solution. UFO sightings, by their nature, occur in an uncontrolled environment, where all available data is subject to chance.

In these circumstances there will always be some unknowns. It is then reasonable to speculate on what these might be. The major explanations, from most to least probable, are:
  • Conventional explanation, but insufficient data (bird, plane, meteorite, balloon, Venus, etc.)
  • Hoax or hallucination
  • Previously unrecognised atmospheric phenomenon
  • Alien visitors
Since this is speculation the appropriate choice is to say "we don't know", rather than "it's those pesky aliens". Unfortunately too many opt for the latter.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
  • Alien visitors
Since this is speculation the appropriate choice is to say "we don't know", rather than "it's those pesky aliens". Unfortunately too many opt for the latter.
Thats the option I want. So its always tempting. But I know better.

Upvote 0

Vap841

Jun 5, 2021
East Coast
✟39,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Thats the option I want. So its always tempting. But I know better.
Let’s just put that buzz kill Ophiolite on ignore and stick with our alien visitation option lol

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Let’s just put that buzz kill Ophiolite on ignore and stick with our alien visitation option lol
You may think you can do that, but just try it. It may look like you have me on Ignore, but really I will just have stopped posting. My alien friends from Tau Ceti taught me that trick!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's just take a moment here and strap on our tinfoil hats. Assume for a moment that physics is correct. That means you can't travel faster than light. You either have to warp space (which means expending HUGE amounts of energy) or you have to travel at sublight speeds. So you need to know where you're going. Let's assume that any alien species is somewhat like us. So they found our planet the same way we're finding planets. Only they're more advanced than we are so they're better at it. They found our planet but they don't know we're on it. We've only been industrialized for a hundred years. So only stars a hundred or so lightyears away would be able to see traces of our existence. There aren't many stars within a hundred lightyears with planets.

Then... Interstellar travel is a very EXPENSIVE undertaking. At least from our vantage point. It would bankrupt most countries to do it.

You're telling me that another civilization did this. Came here at great risk and great expense. And instead of contacting us they are playing tag with airplanes?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're telling me that another civilization did this. Came here at great risk and great expense. And instead of contacting us they are playing tag with airplanes?
I think the belief is that Earth was seeded by aliens eons ago, and now they are back here checking up on how their operation panned out.

Upvote 0

Vap841

Jun 5, 2021
East Coast
✟39,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think the belief is that Earth was seeded by aliens eons ago, and now they are back here checking up on how their operation panned out.
If that’s true then somewhere an alien is examining my life and asking “What’s wrong with that one?”

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Let's just take a moment here and strap on our tinfoil hats. Assume for a moment that physics is correct. That means you can't travel faster than light. You either have to warp space (which means expending HUGE amounts of energy) or you have to travel at sublight speeds. So you need to know where you're going. Let's assume that any alien species is somewhat like us. So they found our planet the same way we're finding planets. Only they're more advanced than we are so they're better at it. They found our planet but they don't know we're on it. We've only been industrialized for a hundred years. So only stars a hundred or so lightyears away would be able to see traces of our existence. There aren't many stars within a hundred lightyears with planets.

Then... Interstellar travel is a very EXPENSIVE undertaking. At least from our vantage point. It would bankrupt most countries to do it.

I know. I looks hopeless.

Thats when I like to play the "but other options we havent thought of yet" card.

Upvote 0