✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Today I’m reaching out for help,today is considerably more troubling than last night.Let me out the point straight that IM COMPLETELY AGAINST ATHEISM AND AGNOSTICISM,but it’s seemingly that I’m some sort of double-minded state,”I’m scared of atheists having the true knowledge and us Christians somehow being the ignorant ones” I REFUSE to EVER leave the Lord.Can someone help?

If you choose Christianity and atheism is the right answer - you lose nothing. In fact you get the very best atheism has to offer you --- a six foot hole in the ground.

It is like a man dying of thirst and there is a glass of water next to him - he says "an atheist told me not to drink the water -- it will kill me.. so I am afraid to drink".

If the man follows the atheist's advice - he does not drink the water and dies of thirst.
If the man rejects the atheist's advice and the atheist is right - he still dies.

But if the glass of water is good and he rejects the atheist's suggestion - he lives.

He can only lose one way.

I don't see how this is the hard choice you suggest.

• Winner
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you choose Christianity and atheism is the right answer - you lose nothing. In fact you get the very best atheism has to offer you --- a six foot hole in the ground.

It is like a man dying of thirst and there is a glass of water next to him - he says "an atheist told me not to drink the water -- it will kill me.. so I am afraid to drink".

If the man follows the atheist's advice - he does not drink the water and dies of thirst.
If the man rejects the atheist's advice and the atheist is right - he still dies.

But if the glass of water is good and he rejects the atheist's suggestion - he lives.

He can only lose one way.

I don't see how this is the hard choice you suggest.
It’s not necessarily that I want to choose atheism,it’s the idea of it that scares me.like I’ve said,I don’t agree with anything atheists say and personally and perhaps this may be a “thorn in my flesh”,I’m starting to think the OCD I have is meant to be a warning system that keeps me close to the lord.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It’s not necessarily that I want to choose atheism,it’s the idea of it that scares me.like I’ve said,I don’t agree with anything atheists say and personally and perhaps this may be a “thorn in my flesh”,I’m starting to think the OCD I have is meant to be a warning system that keeps me close to the lord.

Ok so we have that scenario I pointed to - a man was dying of thirst but then starts to drink the glass of water (in your case) - and finds himself (because of his OCD) questioning if maybe he will one day choose to stop drinking water and side with atheist that warned him against drinking the water.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so we have that scenario I pointed to - a man was dying of thirst but then starts to drink the glass of water (in your case) - and finds himself (because of his OCD) questioning if maybe he will one day choose to stop drinking water and side with atheist that warned him against drinking the water.
I’m sorry I don’t think I get it,so the water is Good?,and not drinking it is bad?

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Really Mr Ryan,I’m very very sorry I annoy all you brothers and sisters with my problems.It’s another factor I’d like to say,I don’t take advice from the world,I take advice from Godly counsel only.That’s why I’m always here,I’m seeking Godly counsel.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
you may want to see a therapist if you have persistent troubles with OCD. other than that, I recommend trying to get yourself involved in something, whether it's activities at church, a charity, anything positive. I think a lot of our problems come from being alone too much so our minds become fixated on all the negativity and conflicts in the world and media. if we can be immersed in positive things it helps distract from the ugly noise.

• Winner
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Today I’m reaching out for help,today is considerably more troubling than last night.Let me out the point straight that IM COMPLETELY AGAINST ATHEISM AND AGNOSTICISM,but it’s seemingly that I’m some sort of double-minded state,”I’m scared of atheists having the true knowledge and us Christians somehow being the ignorant ones” I REFUSE to EVER leave the Lord.Can someone help?

There comes a time for each of us where we have to make a decision to hang on to Christ and his morality or abandon it for our own. It is a choice, if we choose Christ, eventually, all the ducks will line up. HAng onto the reality that you have found in Christ, the small things He does for us.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Beloved one, not only those who are sort of double minded — have inner conflict. We all did have.

Even our Lord Jesus faced uncertainty and that He prayed :
“saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:42‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

In hours of our inner conflict, beloved one, yield to the Father’s will.

What is the Father’s will ?
This is what we have heard from apostle John:

For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.”
‭‭I John‬ ‭5:4‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Beloved one, whatever is born of God, — are children of God. So children of God overcomes the world.

As children of God, let us hold onto the Father’s promises have made to us through His Son.

For we heard :
“For all the promises of God in Him (Christ) are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭1:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Beloved one, in times of inner conflict, let us yield and cling to the promises of our Heavenly Father,just like Christ. Let us say Yes to Abba’s will.

Beloved one, in times of turmoil or uncertainty or conflict, hold on this promise, that we heard:

“He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23:3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Beloved one, let us hold onto this promise again and again; let this words that we heard registered deep in our hearts and minds.

Beloved one, let us just trust Him, that He guides aright through Holy Spirit.

To God the Father be the glory and thanksgiving through Christ. Amen

• Winner
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

So what if Christians have it wrong and atheists are the ones who've got it right? Is following Christ, living according to his teachings and example, a bad way to live? Is it worse than the way a nihilistic atheist lives? Not that I can see. Nihilistic atheism leaves a person with, well, just themselves.

Without God, we are an accident of Nature, a DNA-replicating meat sack, without any higher purpose, here for only a short time and then gone forever and forgotten. If there is no God, no Higher Authority to whom we answer for our living, just ourselves and whatever power we have to enact our will, then the most sensible plan for living is that we act to maximize our own pleasure, follow our own preferences and philosophy, while we can. After all, if God does not exist, Mother Theresa and Hitler have the exact same end. Their lives make no difference whatever to how their lives conclude. Genocidal maniac or saintly servant of the indigent, there is at the conclusion to life just the grave and oblivion.

If this is truly the case, why should one sacrifice anything for anyone else? Why should one care about the welfare of the herd or the continuation of the human species? Why should one subject oneself to limiting social conventions of morality and/or bother with maximizing herd flourishing? If the final end to living is the same no matter how we live, why not live in radical self-service, maximizing one's own pleasure no matter the cost to everyone else? One has only the single, finite opportunity, if God does not exist, to be conscious, to enjoy life, and the length of that opportunity may end abruptly at any time in accident or fatal disease. And so, as Paul wrote, if there is no God-Man, no Savior, no life beyond the grave, we ought to work to make the most of our time by pleasing ourselves as much as possible:

1 Corinthians 15:29-32
29 Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?
30 Why are we also in danger every hour?
31 I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

If you look around, though, this approach to living is...unlivable. People who are nihilistically and radically selfish, thinking they answer to no one, ultimately, but themselves, accruing and exerting power over others to serve their own ends, end up cruel, vicious, ugly, dangerous people. They grow slowly darker and more twisted, the more they pursue their own agenda at the expense of everyone else, becoming serial killers, genocidal fiends, obscenely rich global elites working to subjugate the world under themselves, drug dealers, sex-traffickers, addicts, billionaire pedophiles, and so on.

Practically, then, is nihilistic atheism superior as a view of reality to Christianity? Not that I can see. Even if it is the truth of things (which I don't believe for a second), Christianity provides a positive framework for living that nihilistic atheism cannot.

Selfishness is always the ground of our fear. Concern for ourselves, our welfare, our continued well-being is always at the bottom of our fear. And this is why God in His word tells us such fear has no place in the life of any of His children. (1 John 4:16-19) Obsessive, manic fear is a sign of deep self-preoccupation, of a person's attention fixed intently upon themselves rather than upon God. So long as a person is absorbed with themselves, there is little (or no) room to be absorbed with God. But even when such self-absorption leads progressively to more and darker, and increasingly irrational, fear, many simply won't turn away from it. God would bring the fearful into joyful peace and rest in Himself, if only the fearful would cease to have their eyes glued to themselves, if only they would release their intense self-preoccupation and let God, instead, fill their minds and hearts. (Matthew 11:28-30; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Hebrews 12:2-3)

God won't simply erase the effects of our choices, blanking out from our minds and hearts the unhappy consequences of the selfish thought-life we've embraced. He can't do this and deal with us in love at the same time. Love, by definition, cannot be coerced. God cannot force us to love Him, nor can He love us and just negate in an instant the effects of what we have, over much time, freely and repeatedly chosen. We bring ourselves, day-by-day, choice after choice, into bondage to Self and fear and so we must by the same process of daily choice, move with God out of such bondage into the liberty of life in Christ.

Continually calling on God to just make a puppet out of you, over-riding your free agency, canceling out the consequences of your choices, is to call on Him to deal with you in an unloving way. It's so much easier for us, though, if God would just uproot all the effects of our bad decisions in a single moment, but this is the same selfish thinking that brings us into the bondage from which we want God to instantly free us. Be assured, though: God is not going to nurture such thinking in the slightest. We have walked by free choice (at least, at first) into the valley of fear, developing over time a habit of selfish anxiety, and God will walk us out of this valley by developing in us new habits of thinking and choosing that gain depth and strength over time, just as our habit of fear and self-centeredness did.

If you refuse to walk with God in this way, demanding He simply suspend in a single moment the consequences of your selfish thinking and behaving, you are going to find yourself drifting farther and farther from God along the current of selfishness and fear you are presently in until He vanishes from sight altogether. God offers you freedom but His way, not yours. Will you take it? Will you actively move in His will and way, or continue to insist He treat you like a puppet instead, allowing you to be entirely passive about winning free of the consequences of what you've chosen?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

smittymatt

Dec 5, 2021
West Palm Beach
✟27,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
New edit for today,
Hi everyone

I never thought I’d ever ask questions like this.But while I was working today scary,troubling,horrific,insanity-inducing questions passed into my mind, here is what it they were “What if Christianity is a cult?,what if Jesus was crazy or schizophrenic or delusional?,what if Christianity is brainwashing?,what if God isn’t real?,what if I’m loosing my mind?,what if I’m becoming. An atheist?,what if the Bible or church says everyone is a sinner so they convert” Right now I feel like I’m losing my marbles,like I’ve told many people,I’ve embraced Jesus and the Bible so tightly that I desperately DO NOT want atheists to be right.

please,if there are any wise Christians out there who can offer advice or prayers,I’m not doing this for attention,I’m seeking good counsel,could anyone offer advice?

I can relate very much to you. I have had a lot of those thoughts in the past, making life rather miserable, and they still try to peek in now and again, but I think it is only natural for we are creatures with a mind, and there is so much information and theories out there which we have ingested. I say let's slow down and delve deeper into each thought, one by one. Please respond as you see fit!

1) What makes you think Christianity could be a cult? Cults have theological holes the size of watermelons and practice certain unhealthy behaviors from the top down. Jesus in the flesh was completely open, honest/truthful, and sought nothing from no man. (I will be talking about Jesus in the past tense from this point forward, referring to his physical time on earth)

2) Jesus spoke clearly, calmly or with passion depending on the circumstance and need in a particular situation. His words were full of widsom, and nobody could put holes in his arguments. I don't know how many schizophrenics you have met- I have met many. Even the most eloquent schizo, you can quickly pick up that something is wrong. Soon their story begins making less and less sense, no matter how well put together they seem.

3) I agree that Christianity is brainwashing. Our dirty minds needed cleaning.

4) How is it even possible for God not to be real? Creation demands a Creator.

5) What makes you think you are losing your mind? Is it because you are dwelling on these doubts and going back and forth between a Christian worldview and that of the atheist?

6) I don't think you are becoming an atheist. You already pronounced you will never turn from faith in the Lord. Remember Peter denied Him, and Jesus forgave him. I do not believe that you are a reprobate.

Lastly, I would ask, can you think of anything that triggered these thoughts you started having?

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums