Afghan Refugees Are Welcome....or are they?

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a policy in place for translators for Americans in Afghanistan. This has been in place for many years. If they are put a risk in such a situation those translators and their families are to be brought to the United States. As to others that helped I know of no policy.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not surprising. You know the answers but don't want to say. People are dying because of Biden's policies. The "squad" is not standing up for these women's rights, why are they silent? You may be protected at the moment, but the horrors he has unleashed will eventually affect us all.

Stop deflecting. You were asked a specific question, showing the logical inconsistency between two of your conspiracy theories. Can you answer it?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There is a policy in place for translators for Americans in Afghanistan. This has been in place for many years. If they are put a risk in such a situation those translators and their families are to be brought to the United States. As to others that helped I know of no policy.

No. There was no promise, written or verbal, that if they failed to secure their country they would have access to ours.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Arizona Governor Ducey and AZ House Leader Rusty Bowers released a statement today:

“The Afghans fleeing the Taliban regime served alongside America’s military forces and fought for freedom,” they said. “We’re grateful for their efforts and Arizona wholeheartedly welcomes our fair share of the refugees in our state.”

In their statement, they also included a quote from the Bible, in Ephesians:
“So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God.”

...apparently in response to some (in their party) who feel otherwise:

-gubernatorial frontrunner Kari Lake, who retweeted the message, “Unvetted refugees incoming.”

-state Sen. Wendy Rogers who on Wednesday tweeted, “If you are bringing in unvetted refugees, you are bringing in Covid and you are bringing in possible terrorists. That is like launching a terror attack and a bio weapon on your own people. Treason!”

- US Rep. Paul Gosar “These are not refugees,” he tweeted. “These are fighting age afghan men who chose not to fight. Not one shot was fired. They do not belong in our country. They belong in their country. We are not the world’s dumping ground for every third-world country.”

Perhaps they were taking their queues from --

Fox’s Tucker Carlson:
“If history is any guide, and it’s always a guide, we will see many refugees from Afghanistan resettle in our country, and over the next decade, that number may swell to the millions,” Carlson said. “So first we invade, and then we are invaded.”

Fox’s Laura Ingraham: “Is it really our responsibility to welcome thousands of potentially unvetted refugees from Afghanistan?” she said on Monday.

Gov. Doug Ducey welcomes Afghan refugees. Many in the GOP don't
What a bunch of self centred, heartless tools. I would be ashamed to align myself with such a party. I bet they all go to church on a Sunday too.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. There was no promise, written or verbal, that if they failed to secure their country they would have access to ours.
Here's from an August 15th article:

We promised we would get them out. We promised we would stand by the thousands of Afghan translators and their families as they stood by our troops and American government personnel and contractors for almost 20 years. But, now those promises are in grave danger of being broken.

America Has a Moral Obligation to Get Our Translators Out of Afghanistan - The Bulwark

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here's from an August 15th article:

We promised we would get them out. We promised we would stand by the thousands of Afghan translators and their families as they stood by our troops and American government personnel and contractors for almost 20 years. But, now those promises are in grave danger of being broken.

America Has a Moral Obligation to Get Our Translators Out of Afghanistan - The Bulwark

Yes, they are try to present this as some profound moral issue, because they have no other case. They base their moral arguments on a promise that was never even made, at that. But this is not a moral issue. It is a question of national interest. As such, it is quite clear. We don't need them.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, they are try to present this as some profound moral issue, because they have no other case. They base their moral arguments on a promise that was never even made, at that. But this is not a moral issue. It is a question of national interest. As such, it is quite clear. We don't need them.

Don't you think it's a moral issue that we simply discard people after they help us, as if they were similar to a used tissue to be thrown away? What message does that send to people we need help from in the future? Why would they put themselves in danger, knowing that helping us means being discarded and basically thrown to the wolves?
We don't need the Hmong refugees that helped our soldiers in Vietnam. Yet they live in my neighborhood now because America did the moral thing. Otherwise, they'd probably be dead.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

You don’t see any downside to such a “policy”?

How do we get other countries to trust our governments in the future, if we leave people who have put their lives in jeopardy to help us, out in the cold?

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
These people were vetted, people had to have been vetted before they could have had access to the airport terminal. They can be evacuated to places where they can be kept as they are further vetted, if need be.

Irrelevant -- they're brown people from a [CENSORED]hole country. Why would the GOP or FOX want them mingling with real Americans?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't aware that serving alongside America's military is what it took to become members of the household of God.

Between that and/or voting Republican, has there ever been any other requirement?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I wasn't aware that serving alongside America's military is what it took to become members of the household of God.
I was not aware conservatives were so capricious and apathetic about helping people who kept their soldiers alive.

Upvote 0

JerryinMass

Apr 27, 2021
Massachusetts
✟1,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Arizona Governor Ducey and AZ House Leader Rusty Bowers released a statement today:

“The Afghans fleeing the Taliban regime served alongside America’s military forces and fought for freedom,” they said. “We’re grateful for their efforts and Arizona wholeheartedly welcomes our fair share of the refugees in our state.”

In their statement, they also included a quote from the Bible, in Ephesians:
“So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God.”

...apparently in response to some (in their party) who feel otherwise:

-gubernatorial frontrunner Kari Lake, who retweeted the message, “Unvetted refugees incoming.”

-state Sen. Wendy Rogers who on Wednesday tweeted, “If you are bringing in unvetted refugees, you are bringing in Covid and you are bringing in possible terrorists. That is like launching a terror attack and a bio weapon on your own people. Treason!”

- US Rep. Paul Gosar “These are not refugees,” he tweeted. “These are fighting age afghan men who chose not to fight. Not one shot was fired. They do not belong in our country. They belong in their country. We are not the world’s dumping ground for every third-world country.”

Perhaps they were taking their queues from --

Fox’s Tucker Carlson:
“If history is any guide, and it’s always a guide, we will see many refugees from Afghanistan resettle in our country, and over the next decade, that number may swell to the millions,” Carlson said. “So first we invade, and then we are invaded.”

Fox’s Laura Ingraham: “Is it really our responsibility to welcome thousands of potentially unvetted refugees from Afghanistan?” she said on Monday.

Gov. Doug Ducey welcomes Afghan refugees. Many in the GOP don't
I, for one, welcome any that are fleeing the Taliban and the imposition of hard-core sharia law. My home is open to house a few (it's a small home).

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

"You have failed me; you must die."

I had no idea the trope of nearly every James Bond villain had become a Christian principle.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was not aware conservatives were so capricious and apathetic about helping people who kept their soldiers alive.

You've seen how quickly they throw their own under the bus as soon as they're no longer useful... did you really expect foreigners to be treated better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You've seen how quickly they throw their own under the bus as soon as they're no longer useful... did you really expect foreigners to be treated better?
I dunno.
My original response to that is just "let's see what Trump says" but it seems that he pushed them off a cliff that they have gleefully decided to fall down even without his broken clock advice.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's that kind of divisive propaganda that is so damaging to our nation. It's shooting the messenger and ignoring the message. So many conservatives are God-fearing Christians who love their neighbor. They typically support our police and soldiers and are anti-authoritarian and pro freedom and liberty.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's that kind of divisive propaganda that is so damaging to our nation. It's shooting the messenger and ignoring the message.

What message?

So many conservatives are God-fearing Christians who love their neighbor.

Including our Afghani neighbors?

They typically support our police and soldiers and are anti-authoritarian and pro freedom and liberty.

Bit of a contradiction here, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's that kind of divisive propaganda that is so damaging to our nation. It's shooting the messenger and ignoring the message. So many conservatives are God-fearing Christians who love their neighbor. They typically support our police and soldiers and are anti-authoritarian and pro freedom and liberty.
How is this not doublethink?

Upvote 0