Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I swear it shall be done. Affirm. I affirm it shall be ... I swear/affirm it shall be done.

6-fingeredman.JPG

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you were called to give witness in court, would you be content on the standard protocol (swearing on the bible) or would you ask to affirm your testimony?

I would affirm to tell the truth . Swearing on a bible would be insignificant to me .

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't really think the wording matters. The intent of the action is to promise that you will tell the truth. That is what they mean and that is what the person who does it should mean whether they call it swearing or affirming or whatevering.
Yes . Promise , swear , affirm , and giving your word are all the same thing .

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I did jury service, I affirmed.

I don't know what I'd do now. I hadn't even really thought about it at the time. I just remembered a teacher saying, when he led assembly once, that Christians could affirm because of the verses about not swearing vows.

There was another Christian there who affirmed too. It was great when someone asked us why; saying that they thought Christians, of all people, would swear on the Bible. It gave us a chance to talk about our faith for a few moments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you were called to give witness in court, would you be content on the standard protocol (swearing on the bible) or would you ask to affirm your testimony?
I have been witness for a court case which did not get to the judge but was settled. I had to give a deposition but I told them that I do not swear on the Bible in these cases. I told them that I was aware of the Law and my duty to tell the truth.

It's really not a big deal but more of a tradition. The courts have no problem with a person choosing not to swear on the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums