Houston
✟55,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying on a situation and I can't seem to glean any comfort on this decision. Your input would be much appreciated.
Lets say that a building came available that could be converted into a church building for a small congregation.
This building is plain and simple and needs painting and cleaning etc etc:
But it feels right.
If I used the money from my Dads estate to purchase this [turn something bad, into good]
Would it be wrong for the pastor [Me] to purchase the building to save all that interest and still be the pastor of the same building?
I see the benefits but I also see the naysayers that would think something bad of it.
But the pros would be. No building payments, therefore the tithes could go to advance the gospel in many areas like buying groceries and diapers for needy and helping the homeless like we do now and also supplies for the jail and nursing home and since the pastor doesn't receive monetary gain from any of the tithes it would seem that we could do alot of good.
What is your opinion?

Ask God to give you the answer first but to not have payments is Scripture . We really are to no go into debt and as far as being plain , a church should be simple , clean as it is the hearts that is the true Temple. People walked days without food and water to sit in a field... It is about the Word nothing eles..

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
From the sounds of what you've been posting, Scotty, it almost sounds to me that you'd be wishing to provide more of a "social service" than a church.....something more like this (am I understanding you)? This place isn't exactly the services you'd mentioned...but it seems close to the idea.

From the Potter's House web site:

OUR PURPOSE
The Potter’s House is a transitional residency for the purpose of helping individuals experience the transforming power of Jesus Christ by overcoming obstacles and become responsible contributors in their families, in the workplace, in the church and in their communities as disciples of Jesus Christ.

“Like clay in the hand of the potter……”Jeremiah 18: 6

OUR MISSION
The Potter’s House envisions households where 3-5 single adults will reside together, for a transition period, in a family oriented, Christ-centered environment establishing principles to sustain a lifestyle free from addictions and support a wholesome life with guidance by the Holy Spirit.

http://transitiontocommunity.com/Potters_House/default.aspx.htm
I am sorry for the misunderstanding and it will be a church building. I pastor Sundays now and this would be it's primary use. However I would be willing to incorporate it into housing someone with the back room that was "needy" for a night or two in an emergency situation. I do not mean run a facility, Just an nightly situation.

• Useful
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the person above who said take a few months to think about it. You have been through a lot of trauma and are vulnerable right now. It would seem to me that if the Father wants you to have that property, that He would keep it for you until/if He wants you to purchase it.
It does not usually work that way with property. We looked at a house that had been on the market for 2 hours and it sold after 5 hours. We could have put a bid in because we were the first to look at the property but we did not because it would have been to much of a rush and I needed more time to look at the situation before I jumped into it. People do get into trouble with that sort of impulsive buying when later on they run into things they did not know about. So it is nice to have the luxury to take your time but that is not always possible.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Typically, I wouldn't think you would start a church without a body of government..

I don't suppose I know... I was editing to a nevermind when you replied..
We already have a church now with an Elder and I am considering the purchase so that we wont have to pay rent. I don't pass a tithe plate or ask people for anything, I just preach and if they choose to give out of a cheerful heart, then there is a locked wooden box that they can drop it in. God always provides just enough to be able to keep going :]

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We already have a church now with an Elder and I am considering the purchase so that we wont have to pay rent. I don't pass a tithe plate or ask people for anything, I just preach and if they choose to give out of a cheerful heart, then there is a locked wooden box that they can drop it in. God always provides just enough to be able to keep going :]

I've been to churches like that and it's very nice.. the whole giving feeling more private.

I understand the why of the purchase and it makes great sense.

.but in Church building (not building as in the sense of a structure) it makes sense to speak with other pastors first.

My thoughts were largely on if your buying a church building how do you deed it, and how should you deed it.

I think you should not deed it to yourself as an individual - but rather incorporate the the church.. you can be on the board of trustees, but my thinking was to let the church building be less protected from its elders/membership as has been suggested here, since you are wanting it to be a church for God's purpose. ..

However, I cannot claim to know much on such matters, so i withdrew my thinking. :)

I will add this as something you need prayer for.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been to churches like that and it's very nice.. the whole giving feeling more private.

I understand the why of the purchase and it makes great sense..

My thoughts were simply on if your buying a church building how do you deed it, and how should you deed it.

I think you should not deed it to yourself as an individual - but rather incorporate the the church.. you can be on the board of trustees, but my thinking was to let the church building be less protected from its elders/membership as has been suggested here, since you are wanting it to be a church for God's purpose. ..

However, I cannot claim to know much on such matters, so i withdrew my thinking. :)

I will add this as something you need prayer for.
Thank for the prayer, I will continue to pray on this and see where God leads me.
I haven't even mentioned it to my church yet and I don't think I will until I decide for sure.
God will answer me in His time :)
I have thought of other things to advance the gospel as well, Even doing like @drjean and buying a Rv and doing evangel work.
The good Lord blessed me with the gift of gab and a big mouth so I might as well keep using it lol

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think it will create certain...complications to be both the pastor of the church and the owner of the building in which it meets. Being the building owner puts you in an unhealthy position of control over the portion of the Church you might shepherd. If, for instance, your congregants have strong, valid criticisms of your pastoring, I can't see them being free to voice them when you own the church building. Basically, you've got a lock on the Church through the building. I wouldn't attend a church where the pastor had that sort of power. It gives him a potential lever against the Church be shouldn't have.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying on a situation and I can't seem to glean any comfort on this decision. Your input would be much appreciated.
Lets say that a building came available that could be converted into a church building for a small congregation.
This building is plain and simple and needs painting and cleaning etc etc:
But it feels right.
If I used the money from my Dads estate to purchase this [turn something bad, into good]
Would it be wrong for the pastor [Me] to purchase the building to save all that interest and still be the pastor of the same building?
I see the benefits but I also see the naysayers that would think something bad of it.
But the pros would be. No building payments, therefore the tithes could go to advance the gospel in many areas like buying groceries and diapers for needy and helping the homeless like we do now and also supplies for the jail and nursing home and since the pastor doesn't receive monetary gain from any of the tithes it would seem that we could do alot of good.
What is your opinion?
You have a kind and wonderful heart to first think of your ministry with the resources from your inheritance.

Before stepping out on such an endeavor I would recommend ensuring you “lay up for winter” what is necessary for your family. It is not selfish to do so as you also have a responsibility to them when you eventually pass from this earthly pilgrimage.

If that is taken care of the next step in my opinion is to seek out a lawyer (maybe use a lawyer in your assembly?) to run by the ideas you have to see what the most cost effective options are as well as least legal haggles involved.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank for the prayer, I will continue to pray on this and see where God leads me.
I haven't even mentioned it to my church yet and I don't think I will until I decide for sure.
God will answer me in His time :)
I have thought of other things to advance the gospel as well, Even doing like @drjean and buying a Rv and doing evangel work.
The good Lord blessed me with the gift of gab and a big mouth so I might as well keep using it lol

A circuit preacher! How kewl would that be? It's easy to find where the gatherings are... and you can have your service at your RV, put a little sign out for days and times.. bring your own chairs etc. This culture of "nomads" (mobile houseless)is HUGE... and I pray that in the future I can get it recognized for .well...not government assistance but recognition and accommodations... but that's another thread in the future ;)

Indeed your inheritance would last long and go far. I mean, some of these good citizens are living on a $500 a month SSI check..through no fault of their own, losing their job and benefits due to the previous administration... Many are elderly and have to work at small, short-time jobs... a dozen eggs of a gift is a God-send to them, or a $10 "solar shower" that they might have to save up months to buy... (once I get going, my "educational development" aspect of my non-profit will be "hands-on" training which will include receiving item needed ;) i.e. topic of how to stay clean and health / shower in the desert comes with a solar shower :) )

I'm no preacher... and being physically limited and endurance challenged, I really don't see how God can use me much ... :prayer: that if not you, SOMEONE will be a mobile preacher to them (I suspect there are 10s of thousands of "us"!)

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I will pray for God to handle it all. I really want something good to come from the "bad". I do not care about money because I am rich in so many other ways and I am very blessed. God gave me the ability to live frugal and be happy with the basics.
A circuit preacher! How kewl would that be? It's easy to find where the gatherings are... and you can have your service at your RV, put a little sign out for days and times.. bring your own chairs etc. This culture of "nomads" (mobile houseless)is HUGE... and I pray that in the future I can get it recognized for .well...not government assistance but recognition and accommodations... but that's another thread in the future ;)

Indeed your inheritance would last long and go far. I mean, some of these good citizens are living on a $500 a month SSI check..through no fault of their own, losing their job and benefits due to the previous administration... Many are elderly and have to work at small, short-time jobs... a dozen eggs of a gift is a God-send to them, or a $10 "solar shower" that they might have to save up months to buy... (once I get going, my "educational development" aspect of my non-profit will be "hands-on" training which will include receiving item needed ;) i.e. topic of how to stay clean and health / shower in the desert comes with a solar shower :) )

I'm no preacher... and being physically limited and endurance challenged, I really don't see how God can use me much ... :prayer: that if not you, SOMEONE will be a mobile preacher to them (I suspect there are 10s of thousands of "us"!)
I was told that the southern Baptist association will pay campground fees for a minister to stay and preach at certain places . That would be awesome :]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes but I see many as saying "oh that is not a Spirit led church" because the pastor owns it.
If that is their means of discernment then I encourage you to crush them under your heel. It is only envy and lust in them to bring a false charge (Romans 8:33).

Last edited:
Upvote 0