Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been praying on a situation and I can't seem to glean any comfort on this decision. Your input would be much appreciated.
Lets say that a building came available that could be converted into a church building for a small congregation.
This building is plain and simple and needs painting and cleaning etc etc:
But it feels right.
If I used the money from my Dads estate to purchase this [turn something bad, into good]
Would it be wrong for the pastor [Me] to purchase the building to save all that interest and still be the pastor of the same building?
I see the benefits but I also see the naysayers that would think something bad of it.
But the pros would be. No building payments, therefore the tithes could go to advance the gospel in many areas like buying groceries and diapers for needy and helping the homeless like we do now and also supplies for the jail and nursing home and since the pastor doesn't receive monetary gain from any of the tithes it would seem that we could do alot of good.
What is your opinion?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying on a situation and I can't seem to glean any comfort on this decision. Your input would be much appreciated.
Lets say that a building came available that could be converted into a church building for a small congregation.
But it feels right.
If I used the money from my Dads estate to purchase this [turn something bad, into good]
Would it be wrong for the pastor [Me] to purchase the building to save all that interest and still be the pastor of the same building?
I see the benefits but I also see the naysayers that would think something bad of it.
But the pros would be. No building payments, therefore the tithes could go to advance the gospel in many areas like buying groceries and diapers for needy and helping the homeless like we do now and also supplies for the jail and nursing home and since the pastor doesn't receive monetary gain from any of the tithes it would seem that we could do alot of good.
What is your opinion?
It sounds like it could be a wonderful way to use the proceeds from your father’s estate, if that is what you feel called to do.

But I would suggest you take a few months to pray about it, and continue to seek counsel from wise and godly folk around you, before making any decisions. It is a weighty decision that should not be taken lightly.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
It sounds like it could be a wonderful way to use the proceeds from your father’s estate, if that is what you feel called to do.

But I would suggest you take a few months to pray about it, and continue to seek counsel from wise and godly folk around you, before making any decisions. It is a weighty decision that should not be taken lightly.
Thank you Shoe and I will continue to pray on it. :]

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Scotty :wave:

Would the congregatuonal funds be listed as a 501 c3?

This might be something you should talk to an attorney or CPA about.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

We prayed about it and we are not a 501c3. We choose to be seperated from any outside control.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

We could for tax purposes but when the state started recognizing things that are not of God, We opted out. We are just a bunch of bible believers with big ole hearts :]

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We prayed about it and we are not a 501c3. We choose to be seperated from any outside control.
I can respect that. What if there was a split in the congregation down the road would that put the building at risk?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I can respect that. What if there was a split in the congregation down the road would that put the building at risk?
I wonder about that? See there are so many things to consider lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it feels right.
What is your opinion?

I don't see an ethical conflict here, so the 'numbers' would be the deciding factor for me. Owning a building makes you part of the community, no longer 'strangers and sojourners' in the land. I was in a church that met in rented halls, which reinforced the feeling that we were 'not of this world'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How would I deed it though?

Yourself as the sole owner. That would avoid any later problems by members that might become disgruntled and wish to file a claim for work done on the building. You would have sole discretion regarding the disposition of the building. It would also 'unburden' your members of any such responsibility. The disciples of Jesus met in his house, but it was still his house.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yourself as the sole owner. That would avoid any later problems by members that might become disgruntled and wish to file a claim for work done on the building. You would have sole discretion regarding the disposition of the building. It would also 'unburden' your members of any such responsibility. The disciples of Jesus met in his house, but it was still his house.
Yes but I see many as saying "oh that is not a Spirit led church" because the pastor owns it. Maybe I am looking to deep into it.. lol
Just trying to weight the benefits.
Another thing I was thinking was I could get these knuckleheads out of jail to come help fix it up and give them something to do.
Maybe make it community service available?

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But it feels right.
What is your opinion?
Another option would be to purchase the building as an interest free loan. That way, you get your money back for future charity and the church still receives the benefit of an improved meeting place yet on an affordable loan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Another option would be to purchase the building as an interest free loan. That way, you get your money back for future charity and the church still receives the benefit of an improved meeting place yet on an affordable loan.
Hmm, Interesting. Thank You :]

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What is your opinion?
Money issues aside, is it really the right space? I couldn't tell you, so you would have to be sure on your own.

A space for worship does influence the worship done inside that space. That's why it matters. If you buy it you have influenced how you worship. One thing Catholics have begun to realize is that the architecture of a church building does matter. You should know your theology of worship before settling on a building.

Two things for you to ponder, and maybe fun in the process:

A quiz asking if a building is a modernist church or a communist building: https://churchpop.com/2014/11/10/quiz-modernist-church-communist-building/

An architect that is designing traditional new church buildings: http://www.stroik.com/portfolio

About the money though, if you buy it it will always be 'your' church building rather than the church building of the congregation. Which may be a bad thing in the long run. You could certainly donate a chunk to a building fund anonymously but my guess is that it should be something very widely supported with cash from lots of people.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only problem I see with this is.....what if after several years of the church paying on this interest-free loan, there's some sort of disagreement. What then? The "church" is going to want their $$ back....but if there's a division in the group....who gets that money back? I prefer the idea of the building being purchased and kept in title with sole ownership so the church isn't burdened with financial issues related to where they're going to meet (and - on the pragmatic side of things - Scotty doesn't have to be concerned with his investment possibly being "burned up" by others ). The way I see it is: what makes it "spirit led" is the idea to use the inheritance for the church in the first place. The title doesn't have to be handed over to other humans in order to be considered "spirit led" (I don't think, anyway).

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only problem I see with this is.....what if after several years of the church paying on this interest-free loan, there's some sort of disagreement. What then? The "church" is going to want their $$ back....but if there's a division in the group....who gets that money back? I prefer the idea of the building being purchased and kept in title with sole ownership so the church isn't burdened with financial issues related to where they're going to meet (and - on the pragmatic side of things - Scotty doesn't have to be concerned with his investment possibly being "burned up" by others ). The way I see it is: what makes it "spirit led" is the idea to use the inheritance for the church in the first place. The title doesn't have to be handed over to other humans in order to be considered "spirit led" (I don't think, anyway).
fdsadfa.jpg

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,072,977.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with the person above who said take a few months to think about it. You have been through a lot of trauma and are vulnerable right now. It would seem to me that if the Father wants you to have that property, that He would keep it for you until/if He wants you to purchase it.

Upvote 0