Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a catechumen and I have some questions which are specific to marriage and women's issues. I have searched the internet for answers and have found some vague answers but for the most part, it seems hard to find the advice I'm looking for. Everything I'm willing to ask my priest or his wife (or other ladies at church), has been covered. Where do women go to find answers to these sorts of questions?

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a catechumen and I have some questions which are specific to marriage and women's issues. I have searched the internet for answers and have found some vague answers but for the most part, it seems hard to find the advice I'm looking for. Everything I'm willing to ask my priest or his wife (or other ladies at church), has been covered. Where do women go to find answers to these sorts of questions?

Honestly we talk to our Priest and Matushka about everything. No need to be embarrassed at all. That is pretty normal since your priest is usually your confessor and you tell them everything anyway

Upvote 0

OrthodoxWanderer

May 4, 2020
NSEW
✟85,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you are looking for websites, podcasts, books etc about Orthodoxy from women's POV's, I will say it does seem few and far between. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will provide us both with materials... so far, I've leaned heavily on studying the lives of female saints.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I second the opinions to just ask your priest. I used to be quite shy about asking certain things until I realized he's truly heard and seen it all, the problems that make me nervous are so not a big deal to him.
Yeah, I'm thinking if I don't have answers by the time I'm ready for my life confession, I might as well go for it then, since I'm going to be talking about things I don't want to talk about anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are looking for websites, podcasts, books etc about Orthodoxy from women's POV's, I will say it does seem few and far between. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will provide us both with materials... so far, I've leaned heavily on studying the lives of female saints.
It really is surprising how much less material there is from women. I have started listening to some of the recordings from the nun Macrina. Frederica Matthewes Green has also been a great source!

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a link or two that I could check out? I'm not sure who this is.
Homilies based on talks by Gerondissa Macrina:
Gerondissa Makrina - YouTube
I'm not sure if the story of her life is on this playlist. I heard it once and can't find it. Saint Ephraim of Arizona... said that she had the clearest nous of anyone he had ever met!

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

OrthodoxWanderer

May 4, 2020
NSEW
✟85,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Homilies based on talks by Gerondissa Macrina:
Gerondissa Makrina - YouTube
I'm not sure if the story of her life is on this playlist. I heard it once and can't find it. Saint Ephraim of Arizona... said that she had the clearest nous of anyone he had ever met!

Awesome! Thanks much, I've never heard of either of these ladies but I'll definitely learn!

An Orthodox priest on YouTube I really like said in one of his videos that we (worldly Orthodox, including catechumens presumably) should try to read the lives of modern day saints more than ancient ones so that's what I've been trying to do lately. FWIW I'm learning a lot about Blessed Olga Michael of Alaska (not yet a saint but most likely she will be, eventually) at the moment; a modern, contemporary Orthodox wife and mother. Maybe her life can help you if you're not familiar with her yet?

ETA: wife and mother, not wife and priest as i accidentally wrote. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome! Thanks much, I've never heard of either of these ladies but I'll definitely learn!

An Orthodox priest on YouTube I really like said in one of his videos that we (worldly Orthodox, including catechumens presumably) should try to read the lives of modern day saints more than ancient ones so that's what I've been trying to do lately. FWIW I'm learning a lot about Blessed Olga Michael of Alaska (not yet a saint but most likely she will be, eventually) at the moment; a modern, contemporary Orthodox wife and priest. Maybe her life can help you if you're not familiar with her yet?
I hadn't heard of her, thanks! The modern saints are certainly more relatable for me!

Upvote 0