Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘What happens when we put too much emphasis on this question is that we forget about what women, for the most part, throughout the world, need,’ said theologian Renée Köhler-Ryan, who is a wife and mother.

Spending too much time on the “niche issue” of women priests or deacons distracts the Church from addressing what women really need, a theologian participating in the Synod on Synodality said Tuesday.

“As a woman, I’m not focused at all on the fact that I’m not a priest,” Renée Köhler-Ryan, one of 54 women delegates to the Synod on Synodality, said at a press briefing Oct. 17.

“I think that there’s too much emphasis placed on this question,” the Catholic professor added. “And what happens when we put too much emphasis on this question is that we forget about what women, for the most part, throughout the world, need.”

Köhler-Ryan is head of the School of Philosophy and Theology at the University of Notre Dame in Sydney. She participated in the Church in Australia’s plenary council and is writing a forthcoming book on St. Edith Stein’s Essays on Woman.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married