Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The SDA church as the name informs you is all about one commandment from the law of Moses. The whole global church (SDA) is based on that one Sabbath commandment.

Not true at all.

The Adventist church is about the New Covenant "Law of God written on the heart" Jer 31:31-34 which INCLUDES the 4th commandment as the name reminds us.

details matter.

Very different from the much-imagined " how can a church base it's belief on just a single commandment. "

This particular section / forum appears to be primarily hosted by non-SDAs giving their negative views about SDAs. Not sure why that is -- it could be that moderators here consider "moderate SDAs" as those who oppose the Adventist church ... which is a surprise to me since I consider myself to be moderate.

However CF does have an SDA forum that actually has SDAs posting on it - Traditional Adventists

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A. That is not the pre-cross teaching of Christ or of any OT author.
B. that is not what they will teach at that seminar
C. Even the most orthodox Jews of today - have no such rule in all of their man-made "additions" to scripture.
D. You are stretching Exodus 16 to an extreme that no scripture supports.

But for those interested in actual "context" -- and so then "exegesis" in Ex 16 we have this ...

“This is what the Lord meant: Tomorrow is the Sabbath observance, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning.” 24 So they put it aside until morning, as Moses had ordered, and it did not become foul nor was there any worm in it. 25 Moses said, “Eat it today, for today is the Sabbath to the Lord; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
27 It came about on the seventh day that some of the people went out to gather, but they found none. 28 Then the Lord said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My instructions? 29 See, the Lord has given you the sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day. Remain every man in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

Two key details

1. "TODAY is the Sabbath.. TODAY you will not find it in the field" is not a case of Moses going personally into the tent of 6 million homes and giving them a speech.. .they had to obviously be gathered outside their homes to hear that being said to them. Thus ending the non-serious reuse some folks would have people believe.

2. The context is "some of the people WENT OUT TO GATHER" on the Sabbath. This is what is being opposed with the solution "stay in your place. let no man go out" ... i.e. "go out to gather"
Just sayin' Sabbath keeping was a whole different ball game back in the day.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The whole SDA scheme collapses when Jeremiah and Hebrews say the New Covenant replaced the Old Covenant. There are no Sabbath requirements in the New.

“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” Jeremiah 31:31–33 (KJV 1900)

Instead of breaking CD forum rules and engaging in Adventist bashing -- let's try "actual fact"

The New Covenant is the foundation of the Adventist denomination because it writes the Law of God so often condemned "by some" -- on the heart and mind instead of abolishing it.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow tell that to the disciples and JESUS because they did not know that.

Luke 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Acts 13:42
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Acts 13:44
And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Back to the original 7 more to go
That's OK. They didn't need to heat their houses when -20 either. Jesus knew the 10 C were history as he replaced them word by word.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are not supposed to leave your house on the Sabbath.

B. that is not what they will teach at that seminar mentioned in the OP
C. Even the most orthodox Jews of today - have no such rule in all of their man-made "additions" to scripture.

But for those interested in actual "context" -- and so then "exegesis" in Ex 16 we have this ...

“This is what the Lord meant: Tomorrow is the Sabbath observance, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning.” 24 So they put it aside until morning, as Moses had ordered, and it did not become foul nor was there any worm in it. 25 Moses said, “Eat it today, for today is the Sabbath to the Lord; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
27 It came about on the seventh day that some of the people went out to gather, but they found none. 28 Then the Lord said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My instructions? 29 See, the Lord has given you the sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day. Remain every man in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” 30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

Two key details

1. "TODAY is the Sabbath.. TODAY you will not find it in the field" is not a case of Moses going personally into the tent of 6 million homes and giving them a speech.. .they had to obviously be gathered outside their homes to hear that being said to them. Thus ending the non-serious reuse some folks would have people believe.

2. The context is "some of the people WENT OUT TO GATHER" on the Sabbath. This is what is being opposed with the solution "stay in your place. let no man go out" ... i.e. "go out to gather"

Just sayin' Sabbath keeping was a whole different ball game back in the day.

Adventist are inclined to "notice the context" just pointed out in Ex 16 that you are not addressing in your response... hence the well grounded obvious point in fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's OK. They didn't need to heat their houses when -20 either. Jesus knew the 10 C were history as he replaced them word by word.
Mark 7:6-13 for an example of Jesus NOT replacing them.
Matt 19 for an example of Jesus NOT replacing them
Romans 3:31 Paul affirms them and Romans 13 for an example of Paul affirming the same list as in Matthew 19.

Bible details matter to Seventh-day Adventists -- I think you knew this.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Reminder: If you are not SDA you may not teach or debate within this safe haven.
ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently received a mailer about a 3 night session called "prophecies of hope" on the book of Daniel and Revelation that is being held in several 7th Day Adventist churches in my area. While I am of a different denomination, if I decide to attend, what might I expect to find in such a conference?

You will need to attend and best to discern for yourself.

Opinions of others are just that and everyone has opinion(s) ... that being said ... when it comes right down to it ... the only "opinion" that counts is your own from diligent study of His word.

Personally, I believe people should checkout other theologies/denominations and discern for themselves. If nothing else to be informed and understanding of other beliefs. People believe different things and have reasons(s) for doing so .... what are those reasons, how are they supported biblically?

Always best to get information "from the horses mouth" (so to speak) and not rely on other's opinions.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Off to WORSHIP MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST ON THE BIBLICAL SABBATH DAY WITH FELLOW BELIEVERS.

Have a blessed Sabbath day
be safe

OHC

Psalms 118
English Standard Version
This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Let us rejoice in this day and in every day.

Happy Sabbath!

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for your input. While I only have vague notions of Adventist beliefs, I certainly am open to learning more, especially concerning the end times.

Welcome to the forum.

SDA beliefs on end times are very advanced -- the church is in a position very similar to Noah, John the baptizer, Paul as we approach the 2nd coming event. God is about to do something amazing and has not left the world without an end time message to prepare everyone for what is about to happen.

As was the case with the first coming of Christ - there were a lot of Bible texts pointing to Christ "and yet" it was still helpful and even necessary to have a John the baptizer filled with the Holy Spirit and announcing the details about the Christ "behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world".

The world is about to go through the great tribulation of Matthew 24 only in its last day form and headed directly into Rev 13 mark of the beast and Rev 16 seven last plague territory just before the Rev 19 second coming event.

It is no surprise that just as Christ was unpopular with the Church God started at Sinai - at His first coming... so it is that the 2nd coming details that we see in the Bible are unpopular in some Christian circles today.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
B. that is not what they will teach at that seminar mentioned in the OP
Amen Bob. Preach it!

There has NEVER been, even by bizarre groups like the Essenes, anyone who took Ex 16 in that understanding.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” Exodus 16:29 (KJV 1900)
THAT was strictly for the wilderness when the manna was being deposited daily except for the Sabbath. No going out to collect it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I recently received a mailer about a 3 night session called "prophecies of hope" on the book of Daniel and Revelation that is being held in several 7th Day Adventist churches in my area. While I am of a different denomination, if I decide to attend, what might I expect to find in such a conference?
Good teachings on a variety of Scripture.

All subject to testing/ proving true by going back to Scripture in constant prayer for God's Revealed Wisdom to be granted.

Upvote 0