• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Advent

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Not David, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Not David

Not David Der Ewige Katechumene

+4,424
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I am glad that Advent is being recognized more by Christians, even though its celebration is overshadowed by Hanukkah. Do you celebrate it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. EzekielsWheels

EzekielsWheels Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,050
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Christians celebrate Hannukah? Or are do you mean Jewish celebration of Hanukkah overshadows Advent?

3. Not David

+4,424
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Jewish celebration of Hanukkah overshadows Advent (though some Christians celebrate Hanukkah).

4. musicalpilgrim

musicalpilgrim pilgrim on the sacred music pathway Supporter Angels Team

+23,385
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Advent is a wonderful time of looking forward to the celebration of the Saviour's birth...

5. EzekielsWheels

EzekielsWheels Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,050
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Is this Messianics that celebrate? Or also in Orthodoxy? This question is in regard to Hanukkah.

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+23,399
    Anglican
    Married
    About celebrating Advent. To me, that would be like asking if Christians celebrate Lent? For one thing, it is a period of reflection and penitence, so celebration seems out of place in any case. But also, it covers quite a long period of time.

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Well-Known Member Supporter

+821
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I like to think all the preparations to observe Christmas are celebrating Advent. The Scriptures describe the birth of Jesus as a wondrous, joyful, 'magical' event. So I don't feel at all guilty observing it as such including doing those things that prepare us for the event. I love seeing our street decked out with lovely Christmas lights. I love playing all our great Christmas albums. I love decorating our own home to commemorate the season. I love the joy in the faces of the Children and that people tend to remember the less fortunate more.

And I love the tradition of the Hanging of the Greens at Church and the lighting of the Advent candles at Sunday worship and singing the great Christmas hymns. I think it is important to remember and acknowledge Jesus as the reason for the season in the first place.

What I don't like is the stress of obligatory gift giving--spending the same on each family member, same number of gifts, and the sheer expense of doing that when not a single one of us NEEDS anything. So we have started a family tradition of exchanging ONE significant gift--not necessarily expensive but thoughtful/significant--between families and putting what we save in the Salvation Army kettle or giving to some other worthy charity. That plus no longer trying to outdo anybody in decor has eliminated the stress and made the season joyful for many of us again.

8. Not David

+4,424
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Orthodox typically don't celebrate it

9. Not David

+4,424
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I understand Lent, but is Advent really about penance?

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Well-Known Member Supporter

+821
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't think so. Lent is about penance. Advent is about preparation, expectation, understanding the significance of God becoming one of us to live among us. There is no way that such can be a solemn thing.

11. RickardoHolmes

RickardoHolmes Member

+157
    Christian
    Married
    I do Celebrate Advent. I just received my Advent book of daily devotionals free from the Unity Church. I have read many different books but the Unity Church's advent guides are year and and year out my favorite.

12. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+13,472
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I observe Advent, yes.

Traditionally, Advent is a penitential season marked by fasting, prayer, alms-giving etc in a similar way to Lent. (They both started as periods of fasting in preparation for baptisms on the great feast days that follow them).

Personally, I find fasting in Advent a helpful counterpoint to the consumerist frenzy that tends to grip our society at that time of year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. RickardoHolmes

RickardoHolmes Member

+157
    Christian
    Married
    We do the advent wreath and the advent calendar, and I love the way Episcopal churches work Advent into the Sunday services
    Oddly enough, while I like the Unity church Advent book the best, I did not like the advent church services there. The Christmas eve service was very quiet, very meditative but it does not compare in the aesthetic beauty of an Episcopal high mass service. I look forward to Midnight Mass as the highlight of Christmas.