✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, my family is/was Christian, but I became an atheist when I was about 11 or 12.

I was told God was all-loving, moral, all-knowing, and the rest of it. Yet God committed and condoned immoral acts, and threatened me with eternal torture for not licking his boots. I realized that I had to either believe in and fear a God that was a completely insecure genocidal monster, or not believe in god at all. The choice was easy, not believe in God at all.

After my mother's death, I was curious if there were answers to those contradictions and some sort of proof that god exists.

So far no one here has provided any. I'm not giving up yet though.
Boot licking is not something for the living.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was told God was all-loving, moral, all-knowing, and the rest of it. Yet God committed and condoned immoral acts, and threatened me with eternal torture for not licking his boots.

And your family couldn't explain it to your satisfaction? your church? your Bible? Google? anyone?

And speaking of that, what's your excuse now that you have access to Google?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, my family is/was Christian (Baptist), but I became an atheist when I was about 11 or 12. That didn't work out well, and I was no longer part of the family. I was kicked out of the house when I turned 17. I still saw my mother sometimes in more recent times, although that was when she was visiting her grandchildren (my kids), I don't recall her ever coming to see me. I virtually never see my father or brother, last time was at my mother's funeral. Real Christian values eh, making a 12 year old no longer part of the family?

As to why I became an atheist, I was told God was all-loving, moral, all-knowing, and the rest of it. Yet God committed and condoned immoral acts, and threatened me with eternal torture for not licking his boots. I realized that I had to either believe in and fear a God that was a completely insecure genocidal monster, or not believe in god at all. The choice was easy, not believe in God at all. My family's behaviour reinforced this belief.

After my mother's death, I was curious if there were answers to those contradictions and some sort of proof that god exists.

So far no one here has provided any. I'm not giving up yet though.

I am sorry that your mother is no longer living on earth. I know how hard it is to lose a parent. I don't know how long ago but I do know the pain that one has when they lose someone they love. :hug:

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is exactly what god requires. What else are the first (and thus most important) four of the ten commandments?

So you think it is immoral for the Creator of the universe and everything in it to want credit for it? Do you think it immoral for a God that puts the awareness of God in everyone to make sure it is HE that people honor rather than a false god? Do you think it immoral of a God that created a person to honor Him?

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
And your family couldn't explain it to your satisfaction? your church? your Bible? Google? anyone?

And speaking of that, what's your excuse now that you have access to Google?

Nope. I loved to read (still do), so I read the bible. I found God's actions abhorrent, and decided I didn't want to worship that. I heard lots of explanations and interpretations, but they always twisted the words.

Google hasn't provided anything, and neither has anyone here, at least so far.

And I don't think I need an excuse for my beliefs. Why would I?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you think it is immoral for the Creator of the universe and everything in it to want credit for it? Do you think it immoral for a God that puts the awareness of God in everyone to make sure it is HE that people honor rather than a false god? Do you think it immoral of a God that created a person to honor Him?

Which god are you talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist

Why would an all-loving God threaten me with eternal pain and suffering because I don't give him enough credit? That's not all-loving.

If I told you I was going to hideously torture my children every second, for the rest of their lives, because they didn't give me enough credit for raising them, what would you think of me? What would you say if I then proclaimed how much I loved my children? (And that torture is only for their life time, not for eternity, so I am still being literally infinitely kinder than your god.)

As far as I know, God hasn't made himself aware to anyone, certainly not to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would an all-loving God threaten me with eternal pain and suffering because I don't give him enough credit? That's not all-loving.

He would create a way to forego the eternal pain and suffering by dying on the cross for each and every person who will accept Him. God is not only all loving but HE is also Holy and HE must provide justice and mercy both.
If I told you I was going to hideously torture my children every second, for the rest of their lives, because they didn't give me enough credit for raising them, what would you think of me? What would you say if I then proclaimed how much I loved my children? (And that torture is only for their life time, not for eternity, so I am still being literally infinitely kinder than your god.)

If He told you that all you had to do was accept Him and if you didn't you would suffer the justice for your sins; then you decide, you then make the ultimate choice to accept the result of not accepting Him. Is that unfair or immoral?
As far as I know, God hasn't made himself aware to anyone, certainly not to me.

This made me laugh out loud. He has revealed Himself to millions and yet you don't believe them. So how would you claim he hasn't revealed Himself to anyone?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard lots of explanations and interpretations, but they always twisted the words.

You should have been here a few months ago, when some ... um ... very sincere Bible scholars graced us with their presence.

I'm a KJVO, and I got more Greek and Hebrew shoved at me (in 7-point font) than I've seen for awhile.

All the while atheists and unbelievers gave them lip service and kudos and nice words of encouragement.

Finally, I threatened to report their leader if he kept up his yelling at us, and he suddenly had to leave for some reason.

One by one, over about a week, his goon squad filed out of CF; while I offered to hold the door open for each one of them.

I really wish you would have been here then.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I told you I was going to hideously torture my children every second, for the rest of their lives, because they didn't give me enough credit for raising them, what would you think of me?

What would you think of them if they said you don't exist because of that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If He told you that all you had to do was accept Him and if you didn't you would suffer the justice for your sins; then you decide, you then make the ultimate choice to accept the result of not accepting Him. Is that unfair or immoral?

Yes, this would be unfair and immoral. To suggest that you're free to live a horrible life, then say a few words in a certain order, and reeeeeally believe is, well, laughable and a sham.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.