• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

About those shootings.

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by OldWiseGuy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,404
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    So, this as someone else's fault. Because someone (probably some white people) don't provide "alternative activities" for gang members, nothing will change. They MUST be gang members because there is no alternative.

Unbelievable.

2. FredVB

FredVB Regular Member

+344
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Wow. Chip on the shoulder?

That was reading way more in what was posted than what was being said.

I do hope to respond with Christ-likeness, that I think is what there should be, with being pardoned.

3. possibletarian

possibletarian Active Member

+104
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I must admit there is a part of me that would not be overly upset if that happened, like others have said it's the collateral damage that concerns me.

4. FredVB

FredVB Regular Member

+344
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Some are criminally minded, in all classes in any segment of society. But there are places some of such influence others to join in collusion and activity dangerous to their segment of society, which is what happens in "ganglands", for there are not such streetgangs forming in every segment of society, or even in most. Such that are influenced might yet remain innocent of that involvement, if they find ways of belonging in meaningful group activity that is more desirable. This could be with such alternatives as afterschool programs that are incorporated in some places. And as in The Cross and the Switchblade, with Wilkerson, and the Victory Outreach, there are useful practices to reach out to some already involved in gangs, for betterment. There wasn't hope to many for such betterment before that example, it not good to go back to that level of hopelessness, when there is that and possible ways otherwise for having intervening approaches to reach people in such environments and in such activities.

Trial and with due process prison would be right for those who commited hard crimes. There are others who haven't come to such who can still be reached, with the right approaches in place to reach such, with people involved that want to do this, this is redemption that is desirable for such that would be in "ganglands" where there is that influence to them.

"I don't mind shootings, as long as the right people get shot." -Dirty Harry.

That's a funny line, for having in a script. But the issue is that it is not ever just the right people being shot.

5. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    It also provides laborers for the privately owned industrial corporate prison system.

6. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Not children and that is where this all begins.

7. Archie Dupont

Archie Dupont New Member

+25
    United States
    Protestant
    In Relationship
    And if it was suicidal people? Or homosexuals?

8. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Alpha Male (Retired)

+3,359
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    We don't like crime but are unable to deal effectively with it. We are unable even to take vehicles away from repeat drunk drivers. What hope do we have of solving bigger problems.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  9. Shoetoyou

Shoetoyou Forgiven Sinner Supporter

+1,440
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God doesn’t love them less, doesn’t value them less, and nor should we. All people are made in the image of God (distorted by sin as we may be), and all lives are of value.

10. FredVB

FredVB Regular Member

+344
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Though there are great troubles, some of which others don't even want to hear, that I speak about, I am not so pessimistic, though such don't hear that I am saying there are positive things to do. Those who don't willingly hear don't want the extreme action taken where it will be called for, even though that will be needed.

In this case, we can't stop crime generally so that there isn't any, in this world, if we take great steps there are some ways we can find to deal with it so that crimes are reduced. We need willingness to take such steps.

We can even deal more effectively with repeat drunk driving.

11. FredVB

FredVB Regular Member

+344
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    We are not even living with sustainable ways, with our civilization, and troubles from that will make the civilization very unstable, of which there are already signs, with coming crises from that. Speaking of this is what is seen as pessimistic communication. But it is reality for which honest communication is needed, and it is not pessimistic with positive steps that are being promoted with it, though such won't be heard usually because those will be drastic change as needed. It is not the topic here, but it is critical that such will be discussed, it will be very important. To relate it to the topic here, we need a newer society many could come to, not dependent on the ways of this civilization, that could be much more sustainable, and with parameters that have provision enough for those in it while providing for justice, even if just exclusion, that discourages rogue activity that undermines or is detrimental to the community. Yes, consideration of positive steps needs to include thought for new alternatives.