Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, we definitely need to take action. Most of these gangbangers are young, dumb kids who were vulnerable, scared, or trying to fit in. They didn't exactly just say "Yeah, I want to join a gang." Odds are, one of the set leaders approached them one day and said "Hey, I've got a group of people here. We can help you feel safe, you'll be accepted, and you'll even make some money out of it." What kind of vulnerable kid in a poor neighborhood is gonna say no to that? Then they start manipulating them into acting violent. People need to show them that there's another way out.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a sick thing to say.

Not all criminals are psychopaths.

When a person obtains a gun for the purpose of threatening the life of another, or killing another, they forfeit their own right to live.

Why is that a sick thing to say?

Of course all criminals aren't psychopaths, just the ones who threaten or kill others with a gun, or any weapon.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is where you and I draw the line in a slightly different place. The act of PURCHASING a weapon is not the point where they forfeit the right to be safe from violence.

My point is that if you obtain (purchase or steal) a weapon for the purpose of killing someone, or threatening to kill someone, you have automatically forfeited your right to live. That isn't to say you should be gunned down like a dog before you do these things, but you place yourself in the position where your own life doesn't matter much to you, as you have placed it at risk, and even less to your intended victims who might defend themselves with deadly force, and certainly not to the police.

When a person obtains a gun for a deadly or threatening act the act usually follows very soon.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
5170679340_ee96d31728_b.jpg

Very serious.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, we definitely need to take action. Most of these gangbangers are young, dumb kids who were vulnerable, scared, or trying to fit in. They didn't exactly just say "Yeah, I want to join a gang." Odds are, one of the set leaders approached them one day and said "Hey, I've got a group of people here. We can help you feel safe, you'll be accepted, and you'll even make some money out of it." What kind of vulnerable kid in a poor neighborhood is gonna say no to that? Then they start manipulating them into acting violent. People need to show them that there's another way out.

Most of them don't believe they are going to live very long. Why disappoint them?

Upvote 0

Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of them don't believe they are going to live very long. Why disappoint them?

...Because life is sacred? And besides that, believing you'll die soon and wanting to die soon are two very different things. Most of them absolutely don't want to die.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...Because life is sacred? And besides that, believing you'll die soon and wanting to die soon are two very different things. Most of them absolutely don't want to die.

If they don't think my life is sacred why should I think theirs is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If they don't think my life is sacred why should I think theirs is?

As long as you aren't a gangbanger, they really don't care about you in any capacity.

But maybe try because the Bible tells all Christians to hold all life sacred. That's generally a pretty good reason. Maybe we should disregard the lives of atheists, too. After all, they don't think life is sacred, either.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
These people are trapped by a school system in the hands of self-serving "professionals", a political system the same way, a welfare system that has devastated the family, and an aberrant culture that reflects the hopelessness of all the above. The problem will not go away until we deal with the causes. Feeding it human bodies and lives will not satisfy it. Standing by will not solve it.

And neither will it be contained. The corrupt and corrupting politics and educational system are already well upon the national scene, and the disease is well advanced.

If you make inroads in the most brutal fields of battle, the inner cities, the contrasting results will be so persuasive that the vested interests - the concerned politicians and the caring educators - will be sent packing post-haste. And that is exactly why they fight real change so viciously.

You cannot walk away from this battle. You must confront it with truth.

I don't think it's the politicians, educators, or welfare system that's the problem.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As long as you aren't a gangbanger, they really don't care about you in any capacity.

But maybe try because the Bible tells all Christians to hold all life sacred. That's generally a pretty good reason. Maybe we should disregard the lives of atheists, too. After all, they don't think life is sacred, either.

Neither God nor Christ holds sacred the lives of evildoers. They reserve vengeance for themselves but ordain man to carry out the death penalty as needed, and self defense using deadly force as well.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Should we get our undies in a wad over the spate of gangland shootings that are occurring in large cities like Chicago and Baltimore? Or should we stand back and let them solve this problem themselves through attrition?

"I don't mind shootings, as long as the right people get shot." -Dirty Harry.

What is your opinion?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is your opinion?

Instead of viewing those killings as a tragedy, consider them an ongoing solution. Send a message to gangland that we don't care if they kill each other, just try not to kill innocents. Also we should be publically shaming the drug users and addicts that support these gangs and miscreants. We should be making the connection between their habits and the killings. News article should highlight this fact:

"Drug users complicit in weekend drug gang shootings".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Instead of viewing those killings as a tragedy, consider them an ongoing solution. Send a message to gangland that we don't care if they kill each other, just try not to kill innocents. Also we should be publically shaming the drug users and addicts that support these gangs and miscreants. We should be making the connection between their habits and the killings. News article should highlight this fact:

"Drug buyers complicit in weekend drug gang shootings".

How would you go about assuring they aren't killing "innocents"?

Upvote 0