Abortion

lovegod_will

May 20, 2004
Gloucester
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Stop Killing our future children! After the point of conception the Zygote has all the genetic infomation it needs for life, ergo it is a human! despite whether miscarriages happen (which is very tragic)or alot of stuff has to happen in the womb to keep this foetus alive and physically formed, they are not under our control, the point is, the foetus has the poetential to be born, we do not know if it will or not, but we shouldn't decide whether it does! We do not have the right to kill a foetus, who has the potential to be an autonmous being, u wouldn't kill your 18month old babie because it was inconveinient or u and your partner didn't feel like looking after it that day, would you?

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
justaman said:
Become an atheist already and you can take me on re. nihilism like David and Zoot. Both have failed :sigh: (though don't tell them I said that!)
I might jump in on the thread later, since I think your theory is ridiculous.

And then, maybe when I'm an atheist, we can go to atheist youth group together, and go to atheist bingo tournaments, and then we'll go kill ourselves because life is so undesirable.

justaman said:
This is different. The blueberry does not, in combination with other elements, spawn anything. The blueberry remains a blueberry and is not a catalyst for a subsequent chain of events.
Your missing the point:

You have blue berries and an unbaked pie. (sperm and egg) If you were to put them together, you'd have an unbaked blueberry pie. But the berries, alone, do not become a baked blue berry pie, unless there is a pie that they are put into, and an oven that they are cooked in. The blue berry, alone, does not have the potential to become (itself) a "blue berry pie". There are elements added to it in order for it to be a baked blue berry pie.

Human choice puts the blue berries in the pie. Human choice puts the unbaked bb pie in the oven. Now, the oven and the unbaked pie represent an isolatable process that does not require human choice in order to complete its processes. If the human stops the process, he has prevented a baked blue berry pie.

What I am saying is, you can make a blue berry pie (a zygote), and put it in the oven so as to start it's development into a baked pie. But if you remove that pie prematurely, and destroy it, you do the following:

1.) You destroy an unbaked pie.
(You do not destroy a baked pie.)
2.) You prevent a baked pie.

Add together, both the destruction and the prevention, and you have the blame. "Not making" something is not the same destroying something.

justaman said:
Who cares about intention. I'm talking about prevention. If you consider a zygote to be equivalent in moral terms to a newborn - which you say you do - then we must morally fight as hard to save a zygote as a new-born. If a newborn is lying on the floor and is not attended to, it will die. If zygotes are not attended to, the majority of them would die.
I don't think that this is very relevant. I'm sure any caring parent would fight to keep their zygote alive. But a zygote that dies, does so outside of the parent's intention. The parent did not murder it.

justaman said:
Due to your definitions, women are doing the equivalent of 'killing' (more than according to seebs) 65% of new borns that they produce.
But not murdering. Which is what I argue abortion is.

justaman said:
This is the problem with the 'potential human' argument. It fails practical standards because the line you have drawn requires all zygotes to be treated as humans and we are morally obliged to save their lives as any other life of a human. We don't for a very good reason: it's silly.
We may be morally obligated to save their lives, and I do not doubt that there is progress in the medical feild. But, what is in our ability now, is our moral obligation to not take their lives.

justaman said:
A zygote is very definitely a potential human being. But so is every egg and sperm wasted. I feel equally guiltless about all.
What you mean to say, is an egg and a sperm is a potential human. You have to say that. And that is the same thing as a zygote.

If you feel guiltless, then that is your problem.

justaman said:
To kill someone, they must first exist.
Which is why I said, "Why won't you kill my body in my sleep?" I do not exist, when I am asleep.

You said, "Because you have existed (in that body). And you will most likely return to it again".

Through these requirements, you will:

1.) Kill the body of an unconscious individual on life support (they will not return to consciousness) {I agree with you here, btw.}

2.) Kill the body of an unborn child (they have not yet had consciousness)

But where is the justification for having to have both previous and future experience of consciousness, in order to not kill a person?

I believe only the future consciousness is the only thing that matters. Just like the first situation with the individual on life support, and why you shouldn't kill my body in my sleep. And this is why we shouldn't destroy the zygote.

You intentionally destroy the body, and prevent consciousness when you kill me in my sleep. You intentionally destroy the body, and prevent consiousness when you abort a child.

One cannot destroy consciousness when the consciousness is not present. The consciousness is litterally destroyed everytime I go to sleep. So you cannot say that you are detroying consciousness when you kill my body on the bed. The consciousness has already been destroyed, and is now, non-existent. You destroy my body, and prevent any further conscious experiences my body might have. Effectively killing Michali.

It is the same way with abortion.

justaman said:
One more thing, I'll use your crazy Dr Who analogy back on you. Say there's someone's thumb been left over from a nasty crash. Now you could clone that thumb and get any number of potential humans. So if you destroy that thumb, are you not destroying all of those poor unfortunate potential humans along with it??
No. Because I am not destroying any agent (isolatable process) that can be considered a body for their consciousness.

Good example, though for this reason:

The thumb is alike to that of the gamete. It, itself, is not a process that gives rise to consciousness. Now, if you were to begin the clone, and then destroyed the clone, you would be killing that person. It would have given rise to consciousness, and you prevented it through it's destruction.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
lovegod_will said:
Stop Killing our future children! After the point of conception the Zygote has all the genetic infomation it needs for life, ergo it is a human! despite whether miscarriages happen (which is very tragic)or alot of stuff has to happen in the womb to keep this foetus alive and physically formed, they are not under our control, the point is, the foetus has the poetential to be born, we do not know if it will or not, but we shouldn't decide whether it does! We do not have the right to kill a foetus, who has the potential to be an autonmous being, u wouldn't kill your 18month old babie because it was inconveinient or u and your partner didn't feel like looking after it that day, would you?

Note: if your seriously going to debate abortion please refrain from the kindergarten logic of 'u wouldn't kill your 18month old babie' type of arguements...yah I know I'm being a jerk but puh-leeze.

Upvote 0

justaman

acc dictator and tyrant
Oct 27, 2003
brisbane
✟18,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Michali said:
I might jump in on the thread later, since I think your theory is ridiculous.

And then, maybe when I'm an atheist, we can go to atheist youth group together, and go to atheist bingo tournaments, and then we'll go kill ourselves because life is so undesirable.
I'm in.

The blue berry, alone, does not have the potential to become (itself) a "blue berry pie". There are elements added to it in order for it to be a baked blue berry pie.
The exact same argument goes for zygotes.

Human choice puts the blue berries in the pie. Human choice puts the unbaked bb pie in the oven. Now, the oven and the unbaked pie represent an isolatable process that does not require human choice in order to complete its processes. If the human stops the process, he has prevented a baked blue berry pie.
The 'human choice' argument is irrelevant. It makes no commentary on the potentiality of sperm and ova forming a human being which is the issue at hand.

1.) You destroy an unbaked pie.
(You do not destroy a baked pie.)
2.) You prevent a baked pie.
If you allow a sperm to die you

1) Destroy an essential ingredient
2) Prevent an unbaked pie
3) Prevent a baked pie

There is no getting around this logic, as your arguments continue to demonstrate.

Add together, both the destruction and the prevention, and you have the blame. "Not making" something is not the same destroying something.
You're not making the specific pie that would develope from these two specific elements. Ergo you destroy that pie by destroying on or both of these elements by this logic.

I don't think that this is very relevant. I'm sure any caring parent would fight to keep their zygote alive. But a zygote that dies, does so outside of the parent's intention. The parent did not murder it.
Of course it's not relevant. You just finish telling me that a zygote is the moral equivalent of a newborn and yet the fact that more than 65% of these 'new-borns' die is not a consideration. If we do not act a new born will die. If we do not act most zygotes will die. If they are so equivalent, why is it morally acceptable to be inactive for one but not to be inactive for the other?

But not murdering. Which is what I argue abortion is.
Do you consider eating chicken 'murder'? Given that they are more of a sentient being than any foetus I'd be interested to hear your stance on that one.

How does one 'murder' potential? It's an emotive and - in this context - entirely irrelevant description.

We may be morally obligated to save their lives, and I do not doubt that there is progress in the medical feild. But, what is in our ability now, is our moral obligation to not take their lives.
Yes, we are obligated to save the lives of all those zygotes but not the lives of their component parts which allow them to exist also.

Do you believe in free will? Is this why you're arguing as you are?

What you mean to say, is an egg and a sperm is a potential human. You have to say that. And that is the same thing as a zygote.
You said your self all eggs and sperms are potential zygotes. The chain of potentiality doesn't magically end at the zygote, as you would require it to for your particular brand of morality. You're advocating something logically nonsensical. If an egg is a potential zygote, and a zygote is a potential humn, you cannot say that an egg may not be considered to be a potential human. A particular seed is a potential tree. You cannot say it isn't. You can only say it isn't a potential telephone.

It's so gloriously simple that it astounds me you are still arguing here. By allowing a particular combination of sperm and egg to not meet you are, by your logic, destroying that human being. You can yammer away about human choice all you want but it doesn't stop the fact that you are preventing a particular human from forming and you have stated that prevention equals destruction.

It is morally ridiculous.

But where is the justification for having to have both previous and future experience of consciousness, in order to not kill a person?
You cannot kill something which doesn't exist. I cannot be more plain than this. It is too basic a fact for me to expound any further. You're demanding that I justify to you that water is wet.

I believe only the future consciousness is the only thing that matters. Just like the first situation with the individual on life support, and why you shouldn't kill my body in my sleep. And this is why we shouldn't destroy the zygote.
And it is therefore also why you musn't destroy any combination of sperm or egg.

You intentionally destroy the body, and prevent consciousness when you kill me in my sleep. You intentionally destroy the body, and prevent consiousness when you abort a child.
A zygote constitutes a 'body' now, does it?

And you prevent consciousness when you destroy a sperm cell.

No. Because I am not destroying any agent (isolatable process) that can be considered a body for their consciousness.
You're going to have to explain how your constant 'isolatable process' has any relevance for the moral consideration of what we call 'a human being' whatever.

The thumb is alike to that of the gamete. It, itself, is not a process that gives rise to consciousness. Now, if you were to begin the clone, and then destroyed the clone, you would be killing that person. It would have given rise to consciousness, and you prevented it through it's destruction.
Let me get this straight, because your logic really is beginning to amaze me.

thumb -> embryo -> foetus -> human
sperm/egg -> zygote -> foetus -> human

Destroy the thumb, you don't prevent a human
Destroy sperm or egg you don't prevent a human
Destroy the embryo you prevent a human

egg -> caterpillar -> crystalis -> butterfly

Destroy an egg, you don't prevent a butterfly
Destroy a crystalis you prevent a butterfly

Your logic is quite simply flawed.

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Justaman, my tuesday-wednesday has ended, so I'll be participating even less (so I think).

I'm not ignoring your post, it will take me a long time to repond to it, and I don't have much time to spare. I'll respon later.

But, let's say, for the sake of me explaining myself again, that a sperm cell (alone) is a potential human.

Does my "allowing" it to die, make me responsible for it's death?

Did I physically destroy it by not using?

Did I actually choose for it to die, when I chose not to have sex?

I suppose the only time I physically destroy the sperm cell, is by masturbating, or using protection. But a lot of Catholics would agree with me here.

And one more question, for anyone that knows, does the yet-to-be-aborted baby, respond to injury or stress? Does it even remotely avoid pain, or experience it? (In other words, you are right about the thumb. Destroying the thumb, is destroying potential humans.) This alone, is enough for me to oppose abortion, if this is so.

But as for the consciousness argument, I'll pick it back up as soon as I can. Gotta work the next few days, and get up at 6:00 in the mornin'.

Upvote 0

justaman

acc dictator and tyrant
Oct 27, 2003
brisbane
✟18,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Michali said:
Does my "allowing" it to die, make me responsible for it's death?
Are you not responsible for the death of a new born if you 'allow' it to die?

Did I physically destroy it by not using?
According to your logic.

Did I actually choose for it to die, when I chose not to have sex?
Absolutely. You think otherwise?! Simple dichotomy this one.

And one more question, for anyone that knows, does the yet-to-be-aborted baby, respond to injury or stress? Does it even remotely avoid pain, or experience it? (In other words, you are right about the thumb. Destroying the thumb, is destroying potential humans.) This alone, is enough for me to oppose abortion, if this is so.
Yes it does. It is an organism and responds as such.

But of course, so do the most basic organisms of life one could imagine. Hardly need to be human to have an aversion to pain.

Upvote 0

justaman

acc dictator and tyrant
Oct 27, 2003
brisbane
✟18,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Michali said:
Oh yeah, and no I don't believe in free will.

I believe who ever lives through birth, lives through birth. And whoever does not, does not.

But we all act as though we have free will, and I argue for the sake of arguing.
If we don't have free will why do you even mention 'human choice' as any kind of useful argument whatever? At least then you would have some reasons for postulating as such...

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe abortion is OK because a fetus is not a living human.

It is certainly living and it is certainly human. The determination of species, as well as the beginning of life occurs at conception.

It has no brain, it can not think,

When? I doubt that your under the impression that brain waves are not emited until the umbilical cord is cut.

it can not feel emotions like love, hate, compassion, anger, fear, etc.

How would you know? Are you thinking that the first manifestation of emotion, i.e. childbirth hollerings, are the also the first experience of emotion?

It is not even aware of it's own existence!

Dang. we could have had that Reagan funeral 10 years ago.

It is life, but it is not alive. The life and well-being of the woman is far more important than the life of the embryo.

Refering to it as an embryo may be your best way of dealing with your doubly unfactual reference to "it" as NOT being a live human.

Scientifically, a fetus is a cancerous growth. Removing an embryo is no more immoral than removing a cancer tumor. Ruining somone's life with an unwanted baby IS immoral.

If "less hassles for us lucky living who escaped the suction device" is to be considered a valid rationale for snuffing out human lives, I suggest that all God's children start being REAL obedient to Mom and Dad.

Cancelling a pregnancy is not.

CANCELLING? I wonder if Hitler thought in terms of canceling the Jewish "problem." He had already gotten past step one: declaring them "not human."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you consider eating chicken 'murder'? Given that they are more of a sentient being than any foetus I'd be interested to hear your stance on that one.
But, really, a "fetus" as young as 24 weeks months can be born and survive succesfully. A 23 week old may even be able to do this! They really are "unborn babies" How can you claim this child is not human? How can you compare this child to a chicken? I am not talking about situations were the mother is serious danger. But rather, how can the 24 week on-demand abortion limit be considered okay? It is not! By the time a fetus reaches 24 weeks, it is a baby that just has not been born yet. Before 20 weeks, there is no evidence a fetus has self-awareness. But after 20 weeks, they are aware, at least in some senses. Abortion after this is simply not a good thing, unless the mother is truly in danger.

I believe who ever lives through birth, lives through birth. And whoever does not, does not.
Please justify this to a mother who just went through labour for a stillborn.
Please justify this to the doctors and nurses who feel guilty for not being to stop the death of the baby.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
lovegod_will said:
flicka-im sorry that u find the idea that i consider a 18 month old child and a foetus to have the same intrinsic value so ridiculous and childish:scratch:

Your view are your own and you have every right to then as long as they are educated views. It's your argument and/or debating technique I find ridiculous. If your going to debate with people who are pro choice you need to come up with something a little more, umm...substansial than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
SallyNow said:
I did, but it was ignored!:sigh:

OH!! I'm sorry SallyNow! You have good points! I think once you get past the first trimester things go into a grey area where I personally would not go. A 23 week old fetus, to me, is just what you said...a baby who has not yet been born because it can survive outside the womb (at least potentially). It's funny that when I think of an abortion or a fetus I think in terms of days (morning after pill) or weeks (early term abortions) while most pro life proponents think of late term abortions involving a fetus that is mostly developed. I guess coming at it from different sides will eventually land us somewhere in the middle? Ehh, it's just not an easy subject no matter how you look at it.

Upvote 0

lovegod_will

May 20, 2004
Gloucester
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
I wasnt trying to state that any one actually would kill an 18 month old baby, what i meant was should they have the right to kill that baby? i knw u do not think that a foetus is a living child or wateva but it has the full poetential to, we cannot say weather left to gestate a particular foetus will be born healthly but isn't it a too higher risk to take?

'EDUCATED'- i fail to see how because of what i said that i am not educated or that my opoions are uneducated?

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
lovegod_will said:
I wasnt trying to state that any one actually would kill an 18 month old baby, what i meant was should they have the right to kill that baby? i knw u do not think that a foetus is a living child or wateva but it has the full poetential to, we cannot say weather left to gestate a particular foetus will be born healthly but isn't it a too higher risk to take?

'EDUCATED'- i fail to see how because of what i said that i am not educated or that my opoions are uneducated?

Ok...take my apology. You think a fetus (which I think of in terms of days from conception) is = to an 18 month old baby and it's your right and your decision. It's just not a good debating point since most pro choice advocates do not think that way so it really does nothing except to change the debate to 'when does life begin' which is a whole other topic...it's they type of thing people say when they have nothing else to say hence my 'uneducated' comment. I did not mean it personally, tho you may want to start using the spell checker if you want to be taken more seriously ;) .

Upvote 0