A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
originally posted by brt28006
Oh, I was unaware that you believed devastating disease to be perpetuated only by individual races... the Jews or the Cossacks, for example.
If you don't believe this, then the Hitler/Stalin argument is void.

Did I say that? No, I didn't think so. They (Hitler/Stalin) thought that. Much like what you think. It isn't a void argument. It illustrates the absurdity of that line of thinking. i know we are speaking about a purely hypothetical situation, but the manner of thought behind that line of thinking is no different than the "cleansings" perpetrated by the Third Reich. It is as morally reprehensible today as it was then. You are just changing the victims for a supposed larger "good". Wrong thinking is still wrong thinking no matter what context it is put in.

As for your first paragraph, the life of one (your child) could mean everything to the life of many (everyone else in the entire world)... I believe you are aware of the supreme example of that...

Oh yes, I am aware of the example. I am also aware that Jesus was and will always be the only one capable of making that supreme sacrifice. I would not deign to put my child in that revered place! :D And, if you aren't familiar with the whole story, He was the sacrifice because there was no other sacrifice that was worthy. Also, He was a WILLING sacrifice, not an unwitting little child ripped in pieces from its mother's womb.

I would dare any abortionist to subject themselves to this supposed painless little procedure. Somehow I don't think they would care for it too much.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Originally posted by amie

abortion is never justified...how can you justify abortion for being selfish...I disagree with this statement brt28006, and on the contrary I say it is being selfish if we choose to abort in order to salvage other humans from disease, we would then be selfishly choosing one life over another. I believe human life should be preserved, not obliterated in any sense and abortion obliterates no matter how you look at it, the end result is still the same. I do respect your views, but I hardly call a man who cherishes human life, "selfish"...I know eric and Misty well enough to know their take on this, and far from selfish...and of course expecting a fourth only compounds the sensitivity to this issue, but that is all beside the point.
Amie
Amen, Amie, Amen!

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by brt28006
Disease obliterates many times more people each year than abortion.
I think that, in this totally hypothetical situation, it is phenomenally arrogant to say saving a few hundred thousand lives is more important than saving tens of billions throughout the remainder of human existence.

You better check your figures. Well over a million babies are summarily sentenced and executed in this country each year. That is just in the U.S. If you include the rest of the world we are into the millions plural. Possibly the tens of millions. Who knows how many are torn to pieces in China every day!!

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that, in this totally hypothetical situation, it is phenomenally arrogant to say saving a few hundred thousand lives is more important than saving tens of billions throughout the remainder of human existence.
Hi brt28006,
there is really no fair comparison here...If you think I am being "phenomenally arrogant" hey by all means, continue to think that...a few hundred thousand lives? oh thats all...to save tens of billions, NO. when it is our time to go, it is our time to go and these precious little beings deserve to be here just as well....it is killing out and out murder.
Amie

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
In all the wars the USA has been in, deaths counted on both sides has amounted to 2.3 million soldiers killed.
Just since 1973 until the beginning of 2001 43 million abortions have been performed.
Here some cut and paste info.
According to Planned parenthood:
Half of all pregnancies in the U.S. each year are
unintended, and about half of these are terminated by
medically safe, legal abortions (Henshaw, 1998a). In 1996,
1.37 million abortions took place, down from an estimated
1.61 million in 1990. From 1973 through 1996, more than
34 million legal abortions occurred (Henshaw, 1998b).

Any babies getting killed lately? And we are worrying about offending someone? What about the rights of the unborn? Do you not think it a little offensive to be killing them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's kind of twisting what she said, BRT.

You added that part about being worth millions of lives.

She meant that it would be worth all of our praying and work that we have done to persuade people to not to abort these babies. Personally, I'd give my life to save those billions of diseased and dying babies (OR those milllions of aborted babies).

I'm sad that someone with such an absense of value for human life will someday be an officer. Do you have any kids. Maybe you should, you'd probably understand better what we are talking about.

Do we not owe it to her as a nation to provide a safe environment for the operation? Or would you prefer she do it herself in an alley with a coathanger?

Do we not owe it to the milllions of innocent dying babies in our nation to outlaw the practice?

And, I don't know about you, but I don't think I know a single woman that would go find some dark dirty alley and abort her own baby with a coat hanger. That is completely ludicrous! :D

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian

Who says you have to choose?

Why can't we work to find life-saving treatments, AND respect the sanctity of life, too?

Are the two acutally intimately related?

Aren't the people who are most interested in saving lives through medicine really supporting and reinforcing the value of human lives?

How can anyone say which lives are valuable and which are disposable? Either everyone of us is valuable, or none of us are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian

Oh yeah, one thing to think about.
A woman will get an abortion no matter what, whether they are legal or not.
Do we not owe it to her as a nation to provide a safe environment for the operation? Or would you prefer she do it herself in an alley with a coathanger?

Actually, that's not true,

In countries where abortion is forbidden, or has been outlawed, the instance of abortion, even illegal abortion, has greatly decreased. There are actually LOWER instance of injury from abortion, because there are so many fewer abortions.

Legalized abortion is not safer than illegal abortion, statistically. In Ohio, right now, there are 60 active malpractice cases that resulted from injuries caused by legal abortions performed in clinics. Check it out. These were women harmed by your so-called safe abortion.

Upvote 0

hopeee

Mar 8, 2002
✟596.00
Abortion is murder! Maybe if people viewed these awful pictures they wouldn't have abortions! The pictures are the truth! Isn't it funny how the Media shows all kinds of graphic pictures, but won't show pictures of aborted babies? :scratch: I believe that the truth will set you free.... I think everyone should see those pictures.... We can't hide and look the other way anymore! :( Hope

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So one unborn child is worth the lives of billions of others who will fall victim to disease.
Sick reasoning if you ask me.
hey brt28006...if you believe my reasoning to be "sick", by all means keep thinking that, its a free country, so whatever blows your hair back...Thanks coastie, that is exactly what I meant, I think you and I are more on on the same page here. yes please address this later, I am waiting to be enlightened!

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So you are, essentially, saying that the average woman is more capable of performing a potentially life threatening operation than a doctor is? [ /sarcasm ]
Gee...I am so glad that we have you here brt28006...to constantly remind us of what we are really trying to say (sarcasm)...
Amie

Upvote 0