Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As a Jew, I cannot wrap my mind around this at all. I would assume the bestowal was done supernaturally? And how do you know it was Aaron?
Was not Aaron the first high priest of Israel?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He speaks to us through his son.
When was the last time you saw Jesus, in the flesh stand before a group of people and teach them his gospel and give them some guidance about our day, in our day? You have not.

That is the duty of the prophets of God, who from the beginning of the earth, have received revelation from Jesus Christ himself, and then stood before the people and taught them what Jesus wanted them to do in their time period.

Now most of the gospel message, I agree transcends time, but there are some very important instructions given for the relevant events that are taking place in the different time periods that need particular attention and guidance, which is why it is a benefit for Jesus to have a prophet ready to declare his words of in the flesh and particularly 'in our day'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When was the last time you saw Jesus, in the flesh stand before a group of people and teach them his gospel and give them some guidance about our day, in our day? You have not.

That is the duty of the prophets of God, who from the beginning of the earth, have received revelation from Jesus Christ himself, and then stood before the people and taught them what Jesus wanted them to do in their time period.

Now most of the gospel message, I agree transcends time, but there are some very important instructions given for the relevant events that are taking place in the different time periods that need particular attention and guidance, which is why it is a benefit for Jesus to have a prophet ready to declare his words of in the flesh and particularly 'in our day'.

Is there such a prophet here today?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today we have something better than a man-made religions' claims of having living prophets, Aaronic priesthood holders, Melchizedek priesthood holders, and "seers and revelators". We have the Holy Spirit to guide us.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As a Jew, I cannot wrap my mind around this at all. I would assume the bestowal was done supernaturally? And how do you know it John the Baptist?

There's a whole host of problems with it--and I'm sure what I'm going to say is exactly why you have a hard time wrapping your mind around this.

John the Baptist would never, regardless of then, now, or ever have had any such authority to do so, even as a descendant of Aaron; as 1) he himself was never a kohen and 2) only the line of Aaron is permitted to be kohanim. The Aaronic line of kohanim is only relevant for Jewish people through the Covenant established through Moses on Mt. Horeb, and while there is a standing Temple in Jerusalem.

And, honestly, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When was the last time you saw Jesus, in the flesh

34717-communion.1200w.tn.jpg

"Take, eat, this is My body"

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly minded,
For with blessing in His hand,
Christ our God to earth descending
Comes our homage to demand.

Amen.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
John the Baptist would never, regardless of then, now, or ever have had any such authority to do so

That’s correct and my original post said Aaron not John for the reasons you shared. It made no sense to me if a supernatural endowment took place why Aaron wouldn’t do it instead.

Not to mention the absence of kohen and Levite genes but that’s another matter. Ideas like this can make a sound mind twitch every now and then. ;-)

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Just so happens that these prophets weren't around between the time Jesus ascended into heaven, and Joseph Smith. But, yeah, from the beginning of the earth and all that.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So, no.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Joh_5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

1Pe_1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Joh_5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

1Pe_1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
The word of the Lord that you are talking about was delivered to us by a prophet of God in Jesus's day. Who delivers the word of the Lord in our day?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The word of the Lord that you are talking about was delivered to us by a prophet of God in Jesus's day. Who delivers the word of the Lord in our day?

Eph_3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

It doesn't say there will be no prophets--but if led by the true Holy Spirit, it will be in harmony with already stated word of God.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Eph_3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

It doesn't say there will be no prophets--but if led by the true Holy Spirit, it will be in harmony with already stated word of God.
I agree there should be a general harmony, but if the 3 degrees of heaven doctrine has been lost because some important bishop or church scholar in 200ad said this doctrine of 3 heavens does not fit our doctrine of being saved and so it was slowly and systematically removed as copies and translations were made, then a restoration needed to take place.

Were there other things that were not made known to the first century church, because they would not receive it?
1 Corinthians 3:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

If the Lord wanted to restore the true doctrine, or present true doctrine that other ages would not accept, he would do that with a true prophet through the Holy Spirit. JS was that prophet.

Upvote 0