Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello

not sure if this belongs here but I have a question

I play world of Warcraft and I play the humans and their information says they are a proud race

so I’m worried playing them is sinful cause of the proud situation

any ideas on that?
If you cannot have faith while doing it, it becomes sin, even if it isn't. Because whatever is not of faith is sin.

“Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Romans 14:22–23 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello

not sure if this belongs here but I have a question

I play world of Warcraft and I play the humans and their information says they are a proud race

so I’m worried playing them is sinful cause of the proud situation

any ideas on that?

I've been playing WoW since I got out of high school pretty much. The human race on WoW is the least questionable out of all of the races. Blizzard actually based their religion off of Christianity the "light" that they pray to and use to "empower" themselves is actually based off of the Holy Spirit. They've confirmed this in several interviews.

If you don't feel right about playing a magical character like a warlock or a mage there's always a Paladin which like I said, is a class ripped off of Christianity. A Paladin uses no magic whatsoever to tank and DPS and the magic they use to heal is like I said, based off of the Holy Spirit and Christianity so they get their power from God. It's magic from the "light" making it only semi questionable IMO.

I myself play everything and have played every race and class in WoW for over 15 years. Aside from "You shall not practice magic" there's nothing objectionable about the video game from the Bible if you 1. Play it in moderation or 2. Use it for good and to spread the gospel and grow in your journey with God.

If all you do is play WoW for 36+ hour grinds, harass and yell at everyone you meet for "not playing as good as you." go along with the people in Trade chat and talk filthy and unGodly and don't spread the gospel then... I would quit. Now.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah I don’t play 36 hours haha

I don’t know like ever since I saw that humans are a “proud” race it made me think of the deadly sin pride and if humans were “proud” in that sense

I sadly, did before I came to Christ. Every new Expansion that came out with I'd play for at least 3 days in a row without sleep with my online "friends". I honestly wouldn't worry about that. If anything I'd be worrying about the magic contained in the video game. Like I said, magic is questionable since God pretty much has said "Don't practice magic."

It's up to you and your journey with God whether or not playing a video game containing magic is practicing magic or not.

To me personally, practicing magic would be like the Wican's do. Or using a Ouija board or actually physically casting spells. Or to pretend you're Harry Potter and casting Avada Kadavra on your friend or something. Or to have magic in your mind like "I'm a mage, I'm awesome Pewpew! Take that Arcane Blast to the face! :p"

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, It's not real magic. But sin also has to do with what's in the heart and whats in the mind also as well as the Physical.

Jesus was able to delve into things that could be sinful yet because of what came out of his mouth, heart, and mind he was without sin.

Like working on the Sabbath for example. He worked on the Sabbath which, is sinful but because of how he used his work and how he used the Sabbath for what God had intended it for he never sinned. Adultery is another example. You can never physically cheat on your wife but if your heart and mind are full of lust for another woman than, you committed adultery. Am I making sense in my opinions?

The Humans in WoW may be a "Proud" race but you are not that character. I never really played RPG's to roleplay never saw the point in it. I always played WoW to raid and do dungeons with my friends and make gold on the AH. The character was just a dot on the screen to me. But yet my wife, she'll completely plunge herself into that world and make fanfiction in her head and "is" that Character. Never really understood that.

To me, if you delve yourself into that Character and make yourself that Character that could be sin. But, idk every Christian has a different opinion on this issue. We have for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Some people call Tolkien and Lewis heretics for their books. Or J.K Rowling. Others see the Christian intent inside of the books besides the magical content. No two Christians will ever fully agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yogi42

Feb 21, 2021
Nt
✟8,843.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Such a tricky thing hey

it’s hard to say cause I know some forms of pride are good and some are bad so what do the humans do? Do they think themselves superior to other races

I don’t know why this effects me so much I love progress and I do throw myself into my characters cause they are my “hobby work” if that makes sense

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Probably. But they're the only "good" race in WoW. The forsaken are questionable and even have questionable motives about even staying in the horde in the first place. Especially with Sylvanas wreaking Havoc right now. Like every horde race is questionable. Except maybe Vulpera but they're just cute and look like Star Fox. The only other non questionable race really is Gnomes and hardly anyone plays them. The Dwarves are Drunkards, the Worgen are werewolves, The Night Elves are this basically immortal race (they live for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of years) that worships a moon god. I mean... you could find fault in every race in WoW.

But yeah the humans probably think they're superior to every other race because they use "good" magic to heal and help allies and they're generally good hearted in nature. But as you know they're also prone to evil. Look what happened to Arthas and now King Anduin.

You could find fault with every race. But, I wouldn't focus on the humans pride. Humans irl have pride. We're guilty of the sin of pride each and everyday we're alive. Pride is a sin yes, but its one of the most common and easiest sins to fall into.

Like I said, the violence and magical content in World of Warcraft should be your main focus. They are the most questionable parts of the game and like every other RPG or thing containing magic in this world. Pray to God and let him guide you on the issue. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong about playing the game in moderation a few hours a day to help spread the gospel and grow in your sanctification. But, that's my opinion.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Take the pride and learn from it, then give God the glory. If in the things you do God doesn't get glory somehow then it's pretty unprofitable. So it's not the game but what you do with the game.

^ this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think God chose for you to specifically pick out the whole "proud" thing in that specific moment, and did it for a reason, etc... Like He's maybe trying to talk to you about something pertaining to "pride" somehow, etc...? The trouble is knowing exactly what He meant, and how it was supposed to be said, and how to apply it, etc...? Because that is all too often where we err and go wrong, and/or get it wrong, etc...

Like He may not have even been talking at all about the video game specifically at all, etc, or it's being sinful or not, etc, but may have meant for you to hear and apply it to something else entirely, and maybe something altogether totally different entirely, etc...

I have a lot of trouble with this when it happens to me, etc, but if you can figure it out, then maybe you'll be able to eventually be able to discern all that He is saying to you at all times specifically maybe, etc, or at the very least some of it sometimes specifically maybe, etc...

Like I said, I still have trouble with it, etc...

But it is my opinion, that it wasn't even in any way at all about the, or that specific video game specifically, etc...

Or that's just maybe my opinion anyway...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think God chose for you to specifically pick out the whole "proud" thing in that specific moment, and did it for a reason, etc... Like He's maybe trying to talk to you about something pertaining to "pride" somehow, etc...? The trouble is knowing exactly what He meant, and how it was supposed to be said, and how to apply it, etc...? Because that is all too often where we err and go wrong, and/or get it wrong, etc...

Like He may not have even been talking at all about the video game specifically at all, etc, or it's being sinful or not, etc, but may have meant for you to hear and apply it to something else entirely, and maybe something altogether totally different entirely, etc...

I have a lot of trouble with this when it happens to me, etc, but if you can figure it out, then maybe you'll be able to eventually be able to discern all that He is saying to you at all times specifically maybe, etc, or at the very least some of it sometimes specifically maybe, etc...

Like I said, I still have trouble with it, etc...

But it is my opinion, that it wasn't even in any way at all about the, or that specific video game specifically, etc...

Or that's just maybe my opinion anyway...

God Bless!
This started happening to me around age 32 or 33 or so, and at the time it was all happening so much, and so fast, and so often, and with everything, and I mean quite literally everything, and all of the time, that I thought I felt evil, etc, and this was also probably due to all the ways I might have been misinterpreting or misapplying it as well also, etc, I didn't know how to handle it at first, etc, sometimes still don't, etc...

But, and don't make this mistake, as I am still recovering from it, etc, we have a tendency to "recoil" when this happens, etc, and sometimes think we sense some sort of evil involved with it sometimes, etc, anyway, (and because of also what I just also said also, etc), but, anyway, don't do what I did (that I am still recovering from, etc) and that is purposely do damage to yourself in an act of outright rebellion by purposely crashing your proverbial "car" (vehicle) (body), etc, or by purposely sending instantaneous rebellious or wicked thoughts through your mind, in some kind of vain effort to take back or regain control, etc, cause this will injure you very, very badly, etc, like I said, I'm still trying to fully recover from it even today, etc...

But it is hard to know what is really being said when it happens, etc, and I'm still working on it, etc... But if you can figure it out, it might be connection and communication on a "whole other level", etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello yogi,

after reading your post, I don't think that I would be worried about the description of a race on WOW, but rather be more worried about playing video games in the first place.

I read your post and video games are something that i have had a problem with in my life. I used to play them a lot and get to the point where i would be so angry playing the games (For Honour, mostly) that i would destroy my controller and even my t.v. one time.

I did look for scripture to help me with this problem and found what the bible says about the use of our free time:

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
Ephesians 5:15-17

or:

“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

1 Corinthians 10:23.

i had to ask myself if playing video games was the best use of my time or what God would want me to do. It wasn't easy to stop and i still get the urge to play video games, but i will not buy a controller, because i know the temptation would be too great if i did.

I hope this helps, and i will pray for you over this.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been pretty involved with Dragon Quest 11 recently, awesome game, storyline and the way it plays out is just "epic" in my opinion, etc...

I played the heck out of Skyrim recently until I was basically done with it, etc...

I don't like online games much, I prefer games that are offline RPG's, and I like fantasy/science fiction ones, and I like games that are more like the classic games (RPG's) I grew up playing, etc, and I'm finding out that Dragon Quest 11 is most definitely one of those games, etc...

I'm also into the new Final Fantasy 7 remake, but already played the heck out it, and am waiting on the next one to come out now, etc...

I also like flying and racing games, etc, Ace Combat, Gran Turismo, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0