Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You haven't answered: Is this your means for you to show me to be dishonest and inconsistent? If so, do you mind when I call you out on the method of reinterpreting what I say to mean something that I didn't say nor imply by my words?
See Mark.
You don't make it easy.
I already said I find calvinists to be dishonest.
I don't have the time to sit here and do what you're asking up above.

I asked you a simple question to see if we can agree ON ANYTHING...but you don't or can't answer.

If you wish to discuss, you can answer using the words I've provided since it is either one or the other.
They are two opposites...a person either agrees with one or a person agrees with the other.
Which statement do YOU agree with?

I'm not posting them again...

BTW, I agree with the first one.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah I’ve had this exact same discussion with her before. She claims that God chose everyone according to Him choosing everyone which is a circular statement that doesn’t make any sense. He chose us before creation according to those whom He would choose later. It’s a really baffling concept.

Agreed. . .that does not make sense.

Because you are not understanding that Scripture presents divine foreknowledge (prognosis) only as God knowing what he is going to do, it does not use it of God knowing what man is going to do.
Your use of it to mean divine foreknowledge of man's actions is not its NT usage.

So she actually claims that God foreknew (not chose) what he would do, because he decreed before the foundations of the world that he would do it. The NT usage of prognosis (divine foreknowledge) has nothing to do with man's actions. It's God foreknowing his own actions (and he foreknows them because he has decreed them).

Example: God knows ahead of time that Jane is going to be saved, because he decreed from before the foundations of the world that Jane would be saved, not because he looks down the corridors of time to see that Jane chooses to believe and is, therefore, saved.

Jane most definitely freely chooses to believe, but it is because God has worked in her disposition which gives her to prefer God's will (repent and believe), which she then freely and willingly chooses without external force or constraint.

God doesn't violate man's free will, he uses it to bring the elect freely to him.

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, you will have to argue that with Scripture.
What do you want me to argue with scripture?
That Jesus wants us to be one of mind?
You need scripture?

Philippians 2:2
1 Peter 3:8
1 Corinthians 1:10
2 Corinthians 13:11
John 17:20

and more.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say both, they are not opposites. . ."depraved" meaning unable to please God apart from the Holy Spirit.

In every way in their living life (Ro 8:7-8).

In they cannot seek God on their own (1 Co 2:14, Jn 3:3-5).
If you don't believe they're opposites, our discussion ends right here.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟280,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps you can mount a defense of the Remonstrance's claims, in response to which TULIP was drawn up, and we can argue about that.
Here it is again:

TOTAL DEPRAVITY
By this do you understand that a person is depraved in every way in their living life.
Or do you understand this to mean that a person is so depraved that they cannot seek God on their own? They are two opposites...a person either agrees with one or a person agrees with the other.

I say both, they are not opposites. . ."depraved" meaning unable to please God apart from the Holy Spirit.

In every way in their living life (Ro 8:7-8).

In they cannot seek God on their own (1 Co 2:14, Jn 3:3-5).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah I’ve had this exact same discussion with her before. She claims that God chose everyone according to Him choosing everyone which is a circular statement that doesn’t make any sense. He chose us before creation according to those whom He would choose later. It’s a really baffling concept.
Where does she say that?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If you don't believe they're opposites, our discussion ends right here.
Aaaah. Finally....

Count me in, too. That would've been my answer. Both. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Haha
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
See Mark.
You don't make it easy.
I already said I find calvinists to be dishonest.
I don't have the time to sit here and do what you're asking up above.

I asked you a simple question to see if we can agree ON ANYTHING...but you don't or can't answer.

If you wish to discuss, you can answer using the words I've provided since it is either one or the other.
They are two opposites...a person either agrees with one or a person agrees with the other.
Which statement do YOU agree with?

I'm not posting them again...

BTW, I agree with the first one.
Then, as I thought, you are moving the goalposts. You refuse to answer my question, and deflect to another matter.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you not believe that salvation is by grace through faith? And that, not of ourselves? So what is the problem? We believe the same thing, no?
Yes salvation is by grace thru faith and not of ourselves because it requires our cooperation with God to obtain it. God won’t save anyone without our cooperation and we can’t save ourselves without Christ’s atonement. Hence by grace, not of ourselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
In our previous discussion, you were in that previous discussion as well. Maybe a month or two ago.
I seem to remember you claiming back then as now, "She claims that God chose everyone according to Him choosing everyone", but she did not. She said that God chose according to his foreknowledge, (which 'foreknowledge' is not at all what you claim it to be), and has also said, if I'm remembering right, that God chose according to the counsel of his own will. Neither of those mean what you claimed, nor can they be extrapolated to say it, but in your own use of her words. I.e. STRAWMAN

As to your reference to her being illogical: You, by your use of the biblical term, "foreknowledge", come up with the notion that God chose who to save by looking forward in time and seeing who is saved. Now, WHO is using circular logic? (Yes, I did like you do and used my paraphrase of what you did say.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes salvation is by grace thru faith and not of ourselves because it requires our cooperation with God to obtain it. God won’t save anyone with our cooperation and we can’t save ourselves without Christ’s atonement. Hence by grace, not of ourselves.
Seems you misspoke yourself into accuracy! —"God won’t save anyone with our cooperation..."

How does the logic work, that our cooperation means that it is not of ourselves? Are you saying that if it is not only of ourselves, it is not of ourselves at all?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟135,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know that is what you see, sadly.

Irresistible Grace is not "forcing", anymore than God forced us to be born the first time.
Irresistable is just a nice way for Calvinists to say forced! Get real! God does not use irresistable means - as seen with the story of Jonah. If God's goodness is not enough to persuade, all that is left is hard knocks. Paul did not come to himself on the road to Damascas - he had to rebuked by Jesus and struck blind. If irresistable means were available, why such violence to Paul and Jonah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟135,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Seems you misspoke yourself into accuracy! —"God won’t save anyone with our cooperation..."

How does the logic work, that our cooperation means that it is not of ourselves? Are you saying that if it is not only of ourselves, it is not of ourselves at all?
Seems like you are ignorant of the promises of God in scripture. God's gracious offer of the free gift of salvation is not of ourselves. We are to take it by faith. Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17) - that implies man's cooperation unless you believe God scripts our every action - in which case how is anyone responsible for God's puppetry!

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Hebrews 4:1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like you are ignorant of the promises of God in scripture. God's gracious offer of the free gift of salvation is not of ourselves. We are to take it by faith. Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17) - that implies man's cooperation unless you believe God scripts our every action - in which case how is anyone responsible for God's puppetry!

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Hebrews 4:1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed
Side note:
The reformed have no good news to share with others.
There is no good news in their gospel.

Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
From the comments on post #272:

[I]John Mullally[/I]
Calvinists assert that God changes a select portion of humanities nature. Poof they are born again out of the blue. To the rest, so sorry you have predestined to eternal hell fire - but you deserve it because that is the nature you were born with. Maybe Hitler was not so bad.

John Mullally
“…individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 6)

@John Mullally , while I can identify to some degree, and even sympathize with the feeling of the Gospel, and Christ himself, and the Father, being slandered, this door swings both ways. As we have so often butted heads over, and now you insist on hitting it again, the Arminian notion of self-determination is logically a claim that God is not Omnipotent. I have kept my mouth shut of late, but you insist on continuing.

Above, you again and as usual misrepresent Calvinism, by leaving out whole concepts and distorting others. God does not "changes a select portion of humanities nature." He regenerates the being, the will and mind, of those he intended from the beginning of the world to change, for his own sake. You have also apparently set yourself as doctrinally contrary to the awful fact that ALL of humanity by nature and practice is absolutely deserving of that destruction, "eternal hell fire" as you call it, in your sarcastic delivery.

You sing the refrain with the rest of the Arminians that Calvinism has no love. But herein is the love of God shown, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He had no obligation to do so, because we, the born again, were no better than those ultimately condemned. Calvinism is replete with God's love and mercy. The fact that of their very nature, will and choice, the damned reject, and in everything they do, oppose, God, no more qualifies them for God's attention nor beneficent will than it does the objects of his mercy.

WHERE is your proof that God's universal love is equal for all people, and that he has equally kindly intentions toward absolutely everyone, and no particular plans for any? Are not his creatures his to do with as he pleases? If he intended a mere return to the garden, would he have put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil there? NO! He intended, and will accomplish, the Dwelling Place for HIMSELF, which necessarily includes the fact that the objects of his mercy be impressed with his awe-ful purity, anger and justice against all that opposes him, if for no other reason so that they can appreciate to some degree the evident power, mercy and love in his taking the sin of those objects of mercy upon himself.

So WHERE do you get the notion that Calvin is wrong? To you, a person gets what they deserve and they deserve destruction because of their rejection. Calvinism says the same. You reply that Calvinism also claims that they do so as predestined. I ask you to explain what is the difference: After all if God was not held in mind as first cause, their destiny is still set, they are, even in supposed "free will", whichever of a dozen uses you have sloughed you use now, still logically (and Biblically) caused to choose as they do (and no, you have NOT shown otherwise, except in your own mind); thus, as head of causation, God has caused whatsoever comes to pass, to include the choices of the damned. This DOES NOT in any way deny that the condemned really, freely and actually chooses as he does. He ALWAYS chooses this —according to scripture he does not want to do otherwise nor is he able to do otherwise, unless and until God changes his nature and will.

You have shown none of what I say here false, but only to scream that I make God no better than Hitler. Where did Hitler get the right to do as he pleases with God's creatures? From what truth has Hitler to claim that anyone has transgressed his Purity, Power and Holy Command, and deserves only condemnation? Where is Hitler's absolute sovereignty over all things???

Why not take God at his Word, and put aside notions of little self-determining sovereigns trotting about the planet? They are not self-existent, so how can they be self-determining?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Irresistable is just a nice way for Calvinists to say forced! Get real! God does not use irresistable means - as seen with the story of Jonah. If God's goodness is not enough to persuade, all that is left is hard knocks. Paul did not come to himself on the road to Damascas - he had to rebuked by Jesus and struck blind. If irresistable means were available, why such violence to Paul and Jonah?
No, John. 'Irresistible Grace' is a reference to the bare and simple fact that God regenerates whom he chooses, apart from (i.e. not as a result of) any decision the Elect make. It is not because God is so much more powerful than us, that we do not resist it, but because he re-birthed us, without asking permission. We were not given the choice to resist this gift of grace. And again, lest you scream "foul", Calvinism does not deny that we believe with salvific faith, nor that we choose Christ, nor that we repent, nor any of the several results of regeneration.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

You attempt somehow, again, to misrepresent what Calvinism claims. It does not claim that we do not believe, and that, with Salvific Faith, and that Salvific Faith comes by the hearing of the word of God. It does claim that this Salvific Faith is not the work of man. It does not claim that man is not endowed with it, nor even that man does not exercise this faith in his John 3:16-type belief. It does claim that this Salvific Faith is a Gift of God and not of man. It demonstrates absolutely that this salvific faith is the result of the change, i.e. the Regeneration, God has made in the Spiritually DEAD man that the object of God's merciful gift was before that re-birth.

GOD gave us eternal life. Nothing we did produced that.

They did not share in the faith because God had not regenerated them. hello.

Upvote 0