Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My personality has never been such a big issue in last 10 years. Actually, she asked me to argue for her several times,
I don't think the debating is the issue. She knows you well and knows what to expect. I wouldn't go on a trip about that. There's something else going on, whether something external or she's just reaching a natural change point in her life. I would say don't torment yourself about it, though trying to understand is a good thing.

About the distance being uncomfortable, that is understandable. But I would consider how uncomfortable it would be to keep pressing her to return to how it was. I suspect that course would lead to a more and more unbalanced relationship, which would be both uncomfortable and unhealthy. Sometimes there is no easy way forward in the natural, and the only thing we can do is the right thing, while also leaning hard on the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, for our comfort.

I think it is important how you frame this situation, both for yourself and for how you answer mutual friends. Whatever you come up with, keep it as positive as you can. Also know that while sharing generalities might be in order with some close friends, you are not obligated to share details with anyone.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You still both go to the same church.?
How do you get along with her boyfriend?

He might be an issue if you dont get along with him...
Sounds like you aw both strong christians......
Is this boyfriend a strong christian......??

Hate to see 2 christians go separate ways especially if you dont know the reason.....

I would pray about this and ask God to repair the relationship.....
I have a close christian bro for 16 yers who moved 8 years ago...thanks to cell phones we still stay in touch and share prayer needs......

GOd bless

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need some advice from Christians on my relationship issue.

I have a friend that I have been friends for 10 years (since we were in high schools). Let's call her 'D'.
She is 2 years older than me and moved to the different state, but we continued to have our friendship lasted. We went to the same college, majored in the same major. We studied together and lived together as roommates for a brief amount of time. We are both Christians. We both believe strongly in Christ. She is my church friend as well.

Recently we got into a discussion. I am good at argument and loves argument and loves to talk. My friend, D, is not much into those things. She doesn't like to talk. She is quiet. So during the discussion/argument, she said "I don't want to talk anymore. My feelings are ruined". I apologized first at that moment (because I didn't mean to offend her at all when we were discussing although we had a different view on the topic). she apologized for how she said it as well. So I thought we were cool.
But she has been acting as if she doesn't want to talk to me or be with me or associate with me. She doesn't respond to my text I post to group-text messages (and she left the text-message group). She doesn't want to sit with me at the church.
So I felt bad. I don't know what to do because I have apologized already and I thought we were cool. I think she needs time. So I am okay with that. It is a bit uncomfortable in this silence treatment, but if it is what she needs, so be it.
When I was thinking back on our relationship to find things I have done before that could have hurt her. Then I realized she hasn't been putting our friendship into her priority.

She always put her boyfriend before anything else (even her own family, because she loves him a lot). Then whenever she goes to a baseball game with her boyfriend, she invites other people (who are singles) but never asked me about it (although she knows I love to go to ball games and said we should go sometime several times). She never invites me to her home party that she throws with people I also know. When I call her when she is with her friends, she said I can't come, then later she said she should have invited me because I know all those people. She doesn't' want to eat out with me because it costs money, but occasional coffee is okay.

Until now, none of it had been an issue because I love talking with her. She doesn't invite me when she is with others, but she invites me alone and cooks for me and bakes for me. She gives me birthday presents and all that friends stuff. I help her with her homework and she helps me as well. I encourage her, she encourages me. We went through some tough time together as well.

She has been good friends with me, but now she acts like she wants to put distance between us. I was going through some stressful time to think how to save this relationship and realized that she doesn't want to and doesn't' seem to cherish our relationship as much as I do, which hurts my feeling.

I don't know if she is ashamed of me because I am not pretty as her or thin as she (she always gives me tips on losing weight and how to wear make-up or cloth better) or she feels low esteem around me because I have higher GPA and a job (she is unemployed and has some self-esteem issue that she told me about before). May be her boyfriend doesn't like me (All those occasions that she refused to invite me was when she was with her boyfriend), I don't know.

I don't know how to act around her anymore. I don't know if this relationship is worth saving it. I don;t know if I should go out of my way to make her feel better and so we can go back to that old relationship or it is time for me to look for new friends.

She has been my oldest friend and I thought she would be my friends even after our death. I don't know what to do now. Can you please help me?
You arguing with your friend is evidence of a disagreement. It is difficult for people to like you if you are too demeaning or critical. It is natural for your friend to want to be with her man. They may marry and be friends for life. Childhood friendships sometimes break up as people choose different lifestyles and move apart.

Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To a person who says they do not like arguing, to argue with them is quite a bad choice; from what you are describing and your words it seems you might have pushed her without realising. If you get over these things easily it is easy to fail to realise how other people's feelings are, and you may also have missed cues.

Give her space, and pray about it. Ask God to show you where you made mistakes, and to give you guidance - a friendship of ten years being lost is not really a small thing, I think it probably built up over time without you realising it.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."
James 1:5

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear HRDJ. Jesus told us the first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy hearts, with all thy souls, and with all thy minds. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Why not treat your friend as you would love to be treated, start by apologising.
The Bible tells us: give up all selfish and unloving behaviour, then ask your friend to forgive you. God and Jesus are always ready to help us. Start loving and caring and forgive your friend. Then love and be always friendly. I say this with love, HRDJ. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You guys can still go for coffee. If an opportune time arises ask her and see if she is up for it. If she is don't get into a conversation that can turn into an argument or debate. If she no longer wants company with you, just accept that people grow apart, don't beat yourself up over it, try not to remain hurt, time heals all wounds.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Years ago I had some friends like that. One in particular I realised had never called me or asked me to meet up for at least a couple of years. I had, a few years before, talked him out of suicide when a bad relationship had finished and helped him get back on his feet. He had told me many times he would be dead if it wasnt for me and he owed me his life.

He'd met someone else after this and got married, but we still met up in a group of friends regularly. I made a decision to not contact him and wait for him to contact me when I realised it was me always contacting him. We had been friends for about 15 years from about the age of 10 to about 25 when this happened. The next time I saw him I bumped in to him the street what must have been about 10 years or more later. He started pouring his heart out about how he regretted us losing contact and what a good friend I had been and he didnt have anyone like than in his life any more. It turned out once I stopped arranging for the group to meet up no one did any more. The group of friends had drifted apart and gone their separate ways. I've bumped into other people in the group since and they have moved on with their lives but said they regretted not keeping in touch.

I appear to be the only one of the group that does not regret losing touch. These people were takers n the relationship and I have a lot of other friends who give and take in the relationship which is what a genuine relationship should be. One of the traits of this kind of person is they only meet you when it suits them, like not inviting you to parties, keeping you separate from their other friends, etc. Every now and then I will hear something about them and they have destructive lifestyles with relationships breaking down, multiple divorces, adultery, falling out with friends. They are lovers of themselves and it destroys everyone and everything around them.

I've now done this with 4 or 5 people and 2 or 3 contacted me and made an effort to retain our friendship and I am still friends with them years later. The others didnt and I cant even remember who they were.

I have no problem with saying wait for her to contact you and see if she values you enough to. See other friends instead and develop your relationships with people. If she is a true friend she will contact you but if not wash your hands of her and move on with people who value you. If it is like the one I mentioned you will realise in a couple of years that you were putting a lot of effort into a relationship with someone who didnt do the same and you were better off moving on. It can be very draining in a relationship like this.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-You have to learn to be happy with yourself and alone.....and then others will be happy being with you as well. When you start having a good time and looking happy without her, we will try to come back into your life and then you can try to not make the same mistakes you made the first time. While you are looking uncomfortable and lonely, others will see that and want to stay away, for fear that they will start to look uncomfortable and lonely as well.

-A sincere apology does not demand or expect any behavioral change in the person being apologized to. The fact that you believe your words should have made things okay again gives the feeling of insincerity. If you felt you did wrong and are sorry for it, you would respect her feelings and be happy to give her as much time as she wants to come back to you.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a person takes offense, but we show a genuine concern and real apologizing for hurting them, then that has an effect over time, and we can't always predict that effect, but it could make us face something, or make them face something, or both, and one or either could be reluctant to face that whatever something, because usually it's an old feeling from childhood we want to avoid, and there's an opportunity for growth. I've learned lately that for me, this means a very good moment to pray for help, from above, with faith, because I know it aligns with God's will for me to be more healed in my heart in order to love others better, so that any kind of emotional healing I pray for I can always have total faith as I pray, just as Christ Himself instructed us to do during prayer -- to believe it will be given.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not take what you have posted in here and ask her these things personally? Tell her how you feel, and ask her if she feels the same way? Don't argue with her. Just listen, and then respond in a gentle way.

People can come in here and tell you whatever they think, but the answers are essentially going to come from her own words and behavior towards you.

Every healthy relationship has boundaries: Could it be that you have crossed the line and she is now distancing herself from you? Could it be that she doesn't want you around when she is with her boyfriend because she wants to spend private time with him? Could it be that she didn't invite you to social activities because she was afraid you might start an argument with someone and ruin the party? These are things to consider, but you won't know for sure unless you ask her.

I am not saying you are bad or totally at fault. It could be that she is a selfish person, and is not being a true friend. It could be that the both of you have issues that need to be worked out in your relationship to one another. I don't know. But you won't know either unless you ask her the questions you have asked us.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not take what you have posted in here and ask her these things personally?

Suggesting that she bothers a person whole expresses that they dont want to be bothered is not a good idea. she should count her loses, move on, and be happy alone.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suggesting that she bothers a person whole expresses that they dont want to be bothered is not a good idea. she should count her loses, move on, and be happy alone.
Matthew 18:15 NKJV "Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother."

No doubt there are times when it is necessary to end a relationship, but ending a friendship should be a last resort. It's best to get at the root cause of the conflict and try to work things out before making that final decision to say, "I am done with this."

• Prayers
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 18:15 NKJV "Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother."

No doubt there are times when it is necessary to end a relationship, but ending a friendship should be a last resort. It's best to get at the root cause of the conflict and try to work things out before making that final decision to say, "I am done with this."

She stated that she believe she knows the point of the break in the friendship and she apologized for it. I dont find it wise to then go and ask why the apology wasnt enough. I did not suggest being done with anything....I suggest letting go and letting God do his work in the heart of the friend and she will eventually come back.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She stated that she believe she knows the point of the break in the friendship and she apologized for it. I dont find it wise to then go and ask why the apology wasnt enough. I did not suggest being done with anything....I suggest letting go and letting God do his work in the heart of the friend and she will eventually come back.
Why are you arguing with me? It's not helpful.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why are you arguing with me? It's not helpful.
I thought we were reasoning together or having a discussion. Now that I know you are coming from the spirit of argumentation, I will respond no longer.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Years ago I had some friends like that. One in particular I realised had never called me or asked me to meet up for at least a couple of years. I had, a few years before, talked him out of suicide when a bad relationship had finished and helped him get back on his feet. He had told me many times he would be dead if it wasnt for me and he owed me his life.

He'd met someone else after this and got married, but we still met up in a group of friends regularly. I made a decision to not contact him and wait for him to contact me when I realised it was me always contacting him. We had been friends for about 15 years from about the age of 10 to about 25 when this happened. The next time I saw him I bumped in to him the street what must have been about 10 years or more later. He started pouring his heart out about how he regretted us losing contact and what a good friend I had been and he didnt have anyone like than in his life any more. It turned out once I stopped arranging for the group to meet up no one did any more. The group of friends had drifted apart and gone their separate ways. I've bumped into other people in the group since and they have moved on with their lives but said they regretted not keeping in touch.

I appear to be the only one of the group that does not regret losing touch. These people were takers n the relationship and I have a lot of other friends who give and take in the relationship which is what a genuine relationship should be. One of the traits of this kind of person is they only meet you when it suits them, like not inviting you to parties, keeping you separate from their other friends, etc. Every now and then I will hear something about them and they have destructive lifestyles with relationships breaking down, multiple divorces, adultery, falling out with friends. They are lovers of themselves and it destroys everyone and everything around them.

I've now done this with 4 or 5 people and 2 or 3 contacted me and made an effort to retain our friendship and I am still friends with them years later. The others didnt and I cant even remember who they were.

I have no problem with saying wait for her to contact you and see if she values you enough to. See other friends instead and develop your relationships with people. If she is a true friend she will contact you but if not wash your hands of her and move on with people who value you. If it is like the one I mentioned you will realise in a couple of years that you were putting a lot of effort into a relationship with someone who didnt do the same and you were better off moving on. It can be very draining in a relationship like this.

What an interesting analysis and advice. I agree with your conclusion. Don't be the 'needy' one, however 'needy you feel'. Friendship has to be spontaneously a two-way thing. You must keep your self-respect.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
-You have to learn to be happy with yourself and alone.....and then others will be happy being with you as well. When you start having a good time and looking happy without her, we will try to come back into your life and then you can try to not make the same mistakes you made the first time. While you are looking uncomfortable and lonely, others will see that and want to stay away, for fear that they will start to look uncomfortable and lonely as well.

-A sincere apology does not demand or expect any behavioral change in the person being apologized to. The fact that you believe your words should have made things okay again gives the feeling of insincerity. If you felt you did wrong and are sorry for it, you would respect her feelings and be happy to give her as much time as she wants to come back to you.

• Prayers
Upvote 0