A story for the women

T

TheUnforeseen

So I was reading Sheikh Saadi's 'A feast for clothes' and I thought I'd use the same idea/concept of the story and change it a slight bit into a women's version since I thought it was a great story :)

Once upon a time in the country of Yorkshire, there lived thee lady Jessica. She was not a rich woman, living a very simple life and working as a Shepherd on her fathers farm. Where as, most of the other women were out attending social events and trying to grab the attention of handsome looking gentlemen. The mayor of Yorkshire invited lady Jessica to his daughter's marriage, which was to be a magnificant and grand affair. Lady Jessica accepted the invitation and decided to attend.

The wedding day soon came around, the host and his family were receiving the guests at the gate. They were ushering all the guests towards the dining hall. All the rich people of the town attended the wedding. They had come out in the most splendid of attires. Lady Jessica wore her simple clothes, which were neighter expensive or grand. She waited in a corner for someone to approach her, but no one gave her as much as even a second glance. Even the host didn't acknowledge her and looked away. Seeing all this, Lady Jessica quietly left and went down to the richest clothing shop. There she chose a richly embroidered silk dress, shiny leather heels and accompanied with adoring make up. She also curled her hair into beautiful ringlets. As she looked into the mirror, she found herself a different person.

With this, she entered the dining hall and this time was welcomed with open arms. The host kissed her on the cheeks, greeted her warmly and they all complimented her on the clothes she was wearing. On seeing her, the mayors daughter said "There you are Lady Jessica, What took you so long, friend? How good of you to have come. It surely would've been incomplete without your gracious presence!" Lady Jessuca didn't utter a word and allowed the host to lead her to the dining room where the other guests had assembled. Tasty dishes had been laid out all across the fancy tables. The host offered her a splended seat and the food was served with fine crockery and silver cutlery.

The host led Lady Jessica by hand and himself served her out some of the beef roast, vegetables, topped with gravy and poured her a glass of wine. After this, something strange happened. Lady Jessica tipped the glass of wine on her dress, dropped the dish on the ground and continued to rub her shoes in the food. Addressing the clothes, she said "This is a feast for you, you should enjoy it."

All the guests were now staring at her in surprise. The Mayor's daughter said, "Lady Jessica, what are you doing? How can your clothes eat and drink? And why should they? To this query, Lady Jessica very calmy replied: "My dear friend, I'm indeed surprised with this question coming from you."

"Aren't you the same person who did not even throw a look at me when I came dressed in simple clothes. I can guess that it is my clothes and appearance that matter with you, not my individual worth. Now that I have put on grand clothes, I see a world of difference in reception here. All that I can now say is that this feast is meant for my clothes, not for me."

SweetAvenue

Nov 28, 2011
Massachusetts (North Shore)
✟15,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can relate to this. It's funny, because I usually wear a nice hat that I bought for myself and a very nice watch that my cousins bought for me for graduation. Sometimes I wear a small diamond cross necklace that my parents bought for me for my confirmation. These are the things that people usually notice about me. I usually wear pretty plain clothes otherwise.

Upvote 0