Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Edvige Carboni

Servant of God, Edvige Carboni
The Servant of God, Edvige Carboni, (1880-1952) Mystic, Stigmatic, Victim Soul & Laywoman

The webmaster would like to gratefully thank Mrs. Angelica Avcikurt for translating from the original Italian & Spanish the inspiring and informative passages below. May God reward her for her efforts.

***Update: On November 8, 2018 Pope Francis approved the miracle attributed to the intercession of the Venerable Servant of God, Edvige Carboni, thereby giving the green light for the beatification of this extraordinary mystic.

Introduction

Edvige Carboni was an extraordinary mystic. She spent her life between the natural and the supernatural; between the human and the divine. Her interaction with the supernatural world was an almost daily occurrence. Jesus, Mary and the saints appeared to her constantly. She also received the stigmata, and had many other spiritual gifts such as ecstasies, bilocation, levitation, reading of hearts, discernment of spirits and frequent visits from souls in purgatory.

Edvige was a lay woman who lived with her family and spent the last years of her life living with her sister Paulina in Rome. She lived a life of charity helping the needy, visiting the sick, and praying and suffering for the conversion of sinners and the souls in Purgatory.

Her Childhood and Youth -The luminous Host
Edvige was born on May 2nd, 1880 in Sardinia, Italy. She was the second oldest among six siblings in the Carboni family. On the day she was born something extraordinary happened. Her mother told her that the day she was born she had seen a luminous host in a monstrance. Because of this, her mother who was very sick used to tell her, “If I die, you must receive Holy Communion every day and you should be very good, because Jesus, a few moments after you were born, showed me a host, as I have told you.”

Another significant event that happened upon her birth was that a cross made of her own flesh was formed on her breast, as if Jesus had predestined her to be His spouse. She was baptized two days after her birth. At the age of four, she was confirmed and at the age of five, she made a vow of virginity. In her grandmother’s house there was a replica of Rafael’s painting of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus in her arms. When Edvige was alone, she would climb on a chair and say to the Virgin Mary: "'My mother, I love you. Give me your child so that I can play with Him'.' Many times she let me play with Him. Jesus was so good to me.”

Every afternoon her mother would take her to make a visit to the Blessed Sacrament and Edvige would renew her virginity vow with a prayer that Jesus had taught her when they were playing: “My God, I make a vow of perpetual chastity, I consecrate my virginity to You.”

She only finished third grade. Since her mother was very ill, she would send Edvige to do the grocery shopping at night. Edvige always obeyed her parents but felt afraid of walking alone late at night. Once, she saw her guardian angel who told her, “Don’t be afraid. I am with you and I keep you good company.” She said the angel waited for her outside the store and then walked her back home and disappeared.

Continued below.