A Resolution Condemning White Supremacy Causes Chaos at the Southern Baptist Convention

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Resolution Condemning White Supremacy Causes Chaos at the Southern Baptist Convention
Leaders from the Southern Baptist Convention were divided over a resolution affirming the denomination’s opposition to white supremacy and the alt-right during their annual meeting in Phoenix this week. On Tuesday, they initially declined to consider the proposal submitted by a prominent black pastor in Texas, Dwight McKissic, and only changed course after a significant backlash. The drama over the resolution revealed deep tension lines within a denomination that was explicitly founded to support slavery.
tulc(is curious what others think of this) :wave:

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Color me unsurprised. These are the same folks that argued that blacks were the inheritors of the curse of Ham, and that slavery was in fact doing them a favor.

"Rev. Dwight McKissic... the Protestant mainline welcomes you."

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
tulc(is curious what others think of this) :wave:
I can see why it would be problematic. Namely, the bit about it condemning the "alt-right." The label is so ill-defined that a firm condemnation may end up polarizing individuals the SBC never meant to.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Alt-right can be defined to condemn actual racists, or it can be defined to include anyone who is outspoken in opposing the progressive agenda. It should be assumed that Southern Baptists oppose racism. The resolution sounds like progressive ruse.

Overly political labels should be dropped, especially for something as ill-defined as the "alt-right". There is definitely a resurgence of white nationalism, racism, and xenophobia, however.

Thabiti Anyabwile, a black Southern Baptist pastor, tweeted that "any 'church' that cannot denounce white supremacy without hesitancy and equivocation is a dead, Jesus denying assembly. No 2 ways about it"

Amen.

Southern Baptist Convention in uproar over 'alt-right'

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can see why it would be problematic. Namely, the bit about it condemning the "alt-right." The label is so ill-defined that a firm condemnation may end up polarizing individuals the SBC never meant to.

Exactly.

Reactions: tstor
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Alt-right can be defined to condemn actual racists, or it can be defined to include anyone who is outspoken in opposing the progressive agenda. It should be assumed that Southern Baptists oppose racism. The resolution sounds like progressive ruse.

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,111,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟839,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think they did a pretty good job with the revised version but I think that they should have left in the 'curse of Ham' and left out the 'alt-right' verbiage. I think it would have addressed the 'white supremacist doctrine' clearly. I don't think that all of those in the 'alt-right' movement are white supremacists, are they?
No it's just another broad brush the left likes to use to label people racist they don't agree with. Because we think we should focus more on own own domestic issues instead of sending out more billions of dollars overseas, because we like secure borders, etc, we're racist. The problem is, we love everyone who comes here as long as they do it rightfully and don't break the laws of our land.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think they did a pretty good job with the revised version but I think that they should have left in the 'curse of Ham' and left out the 'alt-right' verbiage. I think it would have addressed the 'white supremacist doctrine' clearly. I don't think that all of those in the 'alt-right' movement are white supremacists, are they?

Depends on what you mean by white supremacy. Now days white supremacists don't always wear hoods. Sometimes they have suits and ties and respectable-looking think-tanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you mean by white supremacy. Now days white supremacists don't always wear hoods. Sometimes they have suits and ties and respectable-looking think-tanks.
Back in the day in the South, that was true. The Klan was made up of the respectable class. Not so today. A hint of racism would sink anyone's business or political career.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Not surprised. For a year I lived in a rural town where most of the folks went to a Southern Baptist church founded by members of the KKK. After desegregation laws went into effect at public schools they started up their own school to keep black kids out. Over time I think private schools had to desegregate too, but they remained very hostile to blacks.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...and there's one under every bed. They control the whole country. The only way to save our country from them is to pass a toothless resolution in a church convention!

Oh, and by the way, anyone who does NOT vote for such a resolution has to be one of them. "Obviously."

Then we'll take up whatever George Soros decides to make the next accusation du jour. :doh:

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...and there's one under every bed. They control the whole country. The only way to save our country from them is to pass a toothless resolution in a church convention!

Oh, and by the way, anyone who does NOT vote for such a resolution has to be one of them. "Obviously."

Then we'll take up whatever George Soros decides to make the next accusation du jour. :doh:
tulc(is just sayn') :sorry:

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟450,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read a good bit about this today. The SBC is strictly parliamentarian in how they run their meetings. The initial not considering the motion was based not on the issue but on wording not being properly stated per their conventions. In the end, they bent rules of order well beyond what would normally occur and passed an unequivocal resolution. Not Baptist at all, and I disagree with many of their positions, but in this case I think they deserve a job well done.

WHEREAS, Racism and white supremacy are, sadly, not extinct but present all over the world in various white supremacist movements, sometimes known as “white nationalism” or “alt-right”; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, June 13–14, 2017, decry every form of racism, including alt-right white supremacy, as antithetical to the Gospel of Jesus Christ; and be it further
RESOLVED, That we denounce and repudiate white supremacy and every form of racial and ethnic hatred as of the devil; and be it further
RESOLVED, That we acknowledge that we still must make progress in rooting out any remaining forms of intentional or unintentional racism in our midst; and be it further
RESOLVED, That we earnestly pray, both for those who advocate racist ideologies and those who are thereby deceived, that they may see their error through the light of the Gospel, repent of these hatreds, and come to know the peace and love of Christ through redeemed fellowship in the Kingdom of God, which is established from every nation, tribe, people, and language.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,455.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems that they should condemn all racism, whether it be white, black, yellow, red, or any other color which mankind puts on people.

God loves us equally.

EXACTLY. The SBC succumbed to a partisan political campaign devised by people who have no respect for the SBC or other Christian churches. The convention, by adopting a one-sided resolution that, in addition, dealt with what was a phony issue to begin with, did nothing admirable but, rather, only served to perpetuate and validate the phony charge. :doh:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Back in the day in the South, that was true. The Klan was made up of the respectable class. Not so today. A hint of racism would sink anyone's business or political career.

Of course you could always be independently wealthy, like Richard Spencer, the man that originally coined the term "alt-right" to describe his movement. I don't see much cause for doubt that he's a racist.

Upvote 0