A Resolution Condemning White Supremacy Causes Chaos at the Southern Baptist Convention

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The rise of the religious right in the US as a subculture owes alot to desegregation and the resentment of southern whites. There's a tendency to think of it as a religious movement but it is as much racial and political.

Oh, I know, there's some folks who are still butthurt about desegregation all these decades later. I know I ought to pity them for being so small-minded and pathetic, but I just can't. Not with all the harm they've caused with their foolish hate. Sure, it's racial & political, but since they founded the Southern Baptist Church with racism in mind, and they call themselves Christians, it's made it into something that at least appears to be religious. They don't act like Christians but they call themselves Christians. I know, it's a shame. It's definitely repulsed people from Christianity.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very odd tulc. Why would a church council or convention take up political and societal definitions? Why not condemn racism period and not limit it to one group. A group defined by political motivations.

Perhaps that was the opposition. I would gather a lot of the members who voted did not even know what 'alt right' meant and was there a definition provided?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a Protestant surely you believe in repenting of the sin you inherited from Adam?
You must have missed my point. I'll consider that to be my fault.

Racism is the original sin of the Southern Baptists.
As I tried to say, repenting of that isn't what that particular resolution was all about.

Upvote 0